LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:49 pm Are these really the signings G.M. was so excited about? :smt017
Depends what he's seen in these guys. Remember Guy Thompson was in a Jersey Reds side a season out of league 1 when Wasps signed him up. Holmes was on the wing at Yorkshire. Harry Williams at Nottingham when he was signed up by Exeter. There's plenty of talent we aren't familiar with in the lower leagues.

Green has great lineout stats (our lineout has been patchy and the stellar back line missing out on good ball). Taute and Reid add much needed skills to our midfield options, how desperate are we for a strong ball carrier like Taute.

Other than Taufua none of the guys are going to be expensive. We've not heard the last of the signings incoming and there should be some more cap to utilise alongside the young lads continuing development.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:49 pm Are these really the signings G.M. was so excited about? :smt017
Depends what he's seen in these guys. Remember Guy Thompson was in a Jersey Reds side a season out of league 1 when Wasps signed him up. Holmes was on the wing at Yorkshire. Harry Williams at Nottingham when he was signed up by Exeter. There's plenty of talent we aren't familiar with in the lower leagues.
Add Tommy Bell to that list. He held us together covering 10 and 15 whilst we had numerous injuries to Burns/Williams/Veainu/Tait. Shame he left and hasn't had much luck at LI. Ed Slater was obviously a Championship signing too.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

I’m not sure how much truth is in the post about Coghlan as the same poster was trying to tout him to Wasps previously :smt003
Nothing been said at Notts end.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by AusTiger »

TPN thought he was getting the sack apparently. He must be very aware that his form isn't where it needs to be. Makes me think this trip back home might be the right thing for him.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-unio ... 511yw.html
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Varndell off again. This time to Hong Kong
A life long Tiger
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Smudge wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:45 pm Varndell off again. This time to Hong Kong

Yes. Well good luck to him over there. It's good news as far as I am concerned. I hope he does well though.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:47 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 pm
Add Tommy Bell to that list. He held us together covering 10 and 15 whilst we had numerous injuries to Burns/Williams/Veainu/Tait. Shame he left and hasn't had much luck at LI. Ed Slater was obviously a Championship signing too.
Tommy Bell he was some player!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Linked to Jonathan Davies as a replacement for Manu

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/regional ... er-reports

Can’t see it myself but who knows
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am Linked to Jonathan Davies as a replacement for Manu

I'm more concerned by the "exceptional circumstances" clause which England might invoke. I confess I'd forgotten about it. It would allow Manu to have his £2.6m gateau and eat it up at Twickenham!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:27 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 am Linked to Jonathan Davies as a replacement for Manu

I'm more concerned by the "exceptional circumstances" clause which England might invoke. I confess I'd forgotten about it. It would allow Manu to have his £2.6m gateau and eat it up at Twickenham!
That's wrong. Wilkinson was picked for England as he signed for Toulon before the "exceptional circumstance" rule was brought in.

If Manu moves to France, which I don't believe he will, England won't go down the "exceptional circumstances" rule. There's too many English centres to be able to pick him under an exceptional circumstance.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 am

That's wrong. Wilkinson was picked for England as he signed for Toulon before the "exceptional circumstance" rule was brought in.

If Manu moves to France, which I don't believe he will, England won't go down the "exceptional circumstances" rule. There's too many English centres to be able to pick him under an exceptional circumstance.
Manu is obviously thought very highly of by his England team mates and he was singing the anthem louder and prouder than anyone before the match.

Maybe it isn’t the done deal some of us, me included think it is, and the Tigers plus England plus testimonial money, along with his emotional ties to the area will keep him here
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:04 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 am

Manu is obviously thought very highly of by his England team mates and he was singing the anthem louder and prouder than anyone before the match.

Maybe it isn’t the done deal some of us, me included think it is, and the Tigers plus England plus testimonial money, along with his emotional ties to the area will keep him here
I'm confident he will still be a Tigers player next season.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I really am not bothered whether he is or whether he isn't a Tigers player next season . We desperately need to rebalance the Squad to ensure that we do not have 6 highly paid players missing because of regular England commitments. Of the 6 I would prefer to retain Genge , Cole and May and let the others go at the earliest opportunity . It is ludicrous to have so much of the Salary Cap tied up with players who hardly play for us .
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

MikeR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am I really am not bothered whether he is or whether he isn't a Tigers player next season . We desperately need to rebalance the Squad to ensure that we do not have 6 highly paid players missing because of regular England commitments. Of the 6 I would prefer to retain Genge , Cole and May and let the others go at the earliest opportunity . It is ludicrous to have so much of the Salary Cap tied up with players who hardly play for us .
We can’t just keep ripping up the squad on a whim and expect to build anything remotely sustainable.

That’s before making the obvious counter argument that getting rid of your best players is unlikely to make things better
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The Davies rumour isn’t a surprise. I’d imagine a lot of Scarlets’ and Ospreys’ agents will be doing their best to guarantee decent contracts for their players ASAP for next season.