4 players killed France this year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BengalTiger

4 players killed France this year

Post by BengalTiger »

I have just read that 4 players have died on the rugby fields of France in the past year, anyone who has seen the bemoths that are playing over here (France) should not be surprised at the figure.
To me this is the law of unitended outcomes at work, getting rid of rucking released a lot of big men from the mudwresle that used to be rucks and allowed them to fan out, rest up and pile into heavy tackles on smaller, faster players.

Things to reduce the physical dangers to modern rugby
Eliminate tactical substitutions, anyone substituted for injury cannot play for 8 days after.
Bring back propper rucking, let the big boys wrestle for the ball and tire themselves out.
Bring back the scummage as a contest, see above.
Anyone leaping into the air to catch a pass or a kick gives away a penalty, no if no buts, it puts the players in danger so should be outlawed before someone breaks thier neck!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 4 players killed France this year

Post by Scott1 »

First of all thoughts to all families,friends and team mates. I agree with your sentiments but how many sadly passed last year or the year before? What's the average over a decade compared to other sports or even recreational activities? Why France and not anywhere else recently? It needs to be looked at as a whole. The new breakdown rule has definitely made things worse though,the tackle count per player has gone through the roof,it needs to be reversed immediately!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I whole heartedly agree with the issues mentioned above. :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think I’m right in saying that they have alll been below the top level of French rugby.
Completely agree about the collisions in the game becoming more and more dangerous even at semi professional level.

The other worry to me is the strain that some of these over muscled players, particularly those with South Sea Island heritage are putting on their hearts and other organs, in a game that is not only high impact but also can cause considerable cardiovascular strain.

I haven’t heard anything further but I think there were some concerns in this area over the recent tragic case of the 23 year old player from the Auckland Blues