LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by sam16111986 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:04 pm According to a poster on the unoffy, Jordan Coghlan is signed, from Nottingham.
26, 6ft3 and 17 stone. Plays across the backrow. YouTube seems to show him as mobile and aggressive. Seems to link with team mates rather than just running into the opposition head down, tends to beat the first man and in the 7 shirt so must be alright at the breakdown (YouTube clips are obviously subjective). Should be worth a punt as he'll be fairly cheap.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:25 am Maybe time for another refresh on this topic RB...apologies will try to keep this actually about signings but watching the demise of my first love over these past few years has been very painful...furthermore the people responsible seem to sit untouchable and unaccountable!

In case anyone chastises you for being 'negative'. A word of support. I am absolutely with you. The fact that Cohen and Glynn are still in situ beggars belief. A simple question. What would they have to do to be deemed worthy of sacking.

As for plans for next year. Admittedly we only have a partial picture at present, and there might be a cunning plan behind the scenes.. However I think it is accepted that the back five 4-8 simply haven't been good enough to seriously compete. Looking at the names mentioned of late, no doubt some will feature on the Tigers website: Callum Green (28 no international calls up beyond schoolboy), Harry Wells (25 no international call ups beyond England U20), Mike Fitzgerald (32 - no international experience), Luke Wallace (28 – no international honours), Guy Thompson – (32 no international honours), Will spencer (26 – no international honours), Jordon Coghlan (26 - no international honours), Sione Kalimafoni (30 – Tonga 31 caps) David Denton (30 - 42 caps serious concussion issues), Jordan Taufua 27 (clearly a talent but still - no international experience), Tommy Reffell 19: A talent but a kid.

Can someone please tell me when the normal rules of rugby were suspended. When rugby matches were won consistently by teams that had second rate packs? This is Leicester Tigers - according to the website 'one of the greatest rugby clubs int he world'.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Good to see the pack is getting the serious and quality investment that it desperately needs then.

Unless weve managed to keep something seriously under wraps I dont think that big nasty enforcer and the stand out number 8 will be coming guys...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

''Callum Green (28 no international calls up beyond schoolboy), Harry Wells (25 no international call ups beyond England U20), Mike Fitzgerald (32 - no international experience), Luke Wallace (28 – no international honours), Guy Thompson – (32 no international honours), Will spencer (26 – no international honours), Jordon Coghlan (26 - no international honours), Sione Kalimafoni (30 – Tonga 31 caps) David Denton (30 - 42 caps serious concussion issues), Jordan Taufua 27 (clearly a talent but still - no international experience), Tommy Reffell 19: A talent but a kid. ''

Playing devils advocate - at least we'll have them next season.
Also, compare them with Exeters back 5. Not too many caps there either, in fact probably less than our list above
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am Good to see the pack is getting the serious and quality investment that it desperately needs then.

Unless weve managed to keep something seriously under wraps I dont think that big nasty enforcer and the stand out number 8 will be coming guys...
Whilst I shall continue with my season tickets I know a number of fellow supporters will be giving theirs up. Unless Tigers reverse our decline the reality is that attendance's will continue to plummit with our great club.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Still far better than it was 10 years ago.

(Although admittedly we’ve seen two new stands built since then and a 9000 seat increase in capacity!)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The Exeter point is a very good one and I feel a good blueprint to follow
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Are these really the signings G.M. was so excited about? :smt017
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:17 am Good to see the pack is getting the serious and quality investment that it desperately needs then.

C’mon mate, it’s not even near the end of the season yet. Heavily rumoured/confirmed so far is...
  • Taufua
  • Green
  • Clare
  • Taute
  • Reid
  • Coghlan
  • Leatigaga
Out of all those I would only consider Taute and Taufua to be big signings, and as Murphy said “some” I’d imagine a couple more are on the way.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This is how I know there is no higher power, every wish I have had over the past 5 years I have wished for a number 8 akin to Deano or Corry to grace our team :smt005

Taufua is all class but add a blockbuster 8 into a back row with him and watch the sparks fly :smt045
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

A large part of the current issue is overpaying players who aren't offering enough on the pitch. Signing less costly players allows cap to be diverted back into areas where it's needed - Taufua being a good start there. Perhaps let the recruitment for next season get close to completion prior to condemning in.

Taufua - Quality addition where improvement is direly needed.

Green - An upgrade on the outgoing locks who will likely cost less given departing forwards were very over payed.

Reid - A very good player who will allow cash to be diverted back to the pack.

Taute - An additional ball carrying centre who offers versatility.

Coghlan - A squad signing who won't cost a huge amount and may kick on. Championship signings are a gamble but ones that I like to see clubs take. When they payoff (Holmes) they can make a big difference.

Leatigaga - A project signing for Stanko to work on in the scrum who could offer a strong ball carrying option.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 pm This is how I know there is no higher power, every wish I have had over the past 5 years I have wished for a number 8 akin to Deano or Corry to grace our team :smt005

Taufua is all class but add a blockbuster 8 into a back row with him and watch the sparks fly :smt045
I would argue with him, Denton and Thompson and that will be a really competitive and riveting backrow, all depends on whether Denton can recover from his concussion. I worry sometimes that he might even have to retire!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm
JackFlashJonny wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 pm This is how I know there is no higher power, every wish I have had over the past 5 years I have wished for a number 8 akin to Deano or Corry to grace our team :smt005

I would argue with him, Denton and Thompson and that will be a really competitive and riveting backrow, all depends on whether Denton can recover from his concussion. I worry sometimes that he might even have to retire!
I noticed he was pictured at the World Cup Do last night, but I agree totally Jp14 for what originally seemed to be a fairly innocuous knock in The Saints game at Twickenham he has been out a very long time. I’m not even aware that he has been involved in any pre game warm ups.

I have no proof of this whatsoever but there must be a possibility that he may not play again and that he and the club are just sorting out insurance settlements etc
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Spot on. :smt023
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

If Denton is forced to retire, then that will be a massive loss, as he had been performing well for us.