LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Maybe time for another refresh on this topic RB...apologies will try to keep this actually about signings but watching the demise of my first love over these past few years has been very painful...furthermore the people responsible seem to sit untouchable and unaccountable!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tom Varndell announced in the inaugural Hong Kong based South China Tigers squad for the Global Rapid Rugby series running in late March - April:

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/articl ... ter-global
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I too cannot understand the signing of Wallace, mainly on the basis that he tends to be injury prone, which is not the type of player we should be bringing in. Also I do not believe him to be anything other than ordinary, a similar calibre to what we already have, and are offloading. It's all very underwhelming.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm I too cannot understand the signing of Wallace, mainly on the basis that he tends to be injury prone, which is not the type of player we should be bringing in. Also I do not believe him to be anything other than ordinary, a similar calibre to what we already have, and are offloading. It's all very underwhelming.
Similar calibre to what is moving on but won't cost nearly as much. If a signing such as Wallace allows the signing of Taufua to fit the wage bill then it could work out well.

O'Connor, Williams and Kitchener are good players but on wages that top players should demand. BOC in particular I rate highly but he's on a big wage and there are plenty of opensides in the league offering what he does.

All that said I wish Evans were staying but by sounds of things he was offered a deal by Tigers and chose Quins. That could be the lure of a move to London, Gustard's playing style or simply wage - only Evans likely knows for sure.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Can't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of Wallace, he's not done much despite some early promise and hardly played in two years. And yes I know I'll get harangued for being negative but he's a solidly mid-table player and I refuse to think of us as a mid-table team.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Interesting to note that Wig is now coaching the Georgia national sides forwards. That could be a very useful connection given his close relationship with many at the club and the quality of the Georgia pack. To list a couple in positions Tigers need strengthening:

Giorgi Tkhilaishvili - Combative blindside who had a trial at Tigers a few years ago. He's come on a lot as Georgia have improved.

Shalva Mamukashvili - A very solid hooker who wouldn't cost a fortune if TPN moved on. He's unseated Jaba Bregvadze (a fine player in his own right) from the starting shirt.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

A good shout abc
A2O
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm Can't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of Wallace, he's not done much despite some early promise and hardly played in two years. And yes I know I'll get harangued for being negative but he's a solidly mid-table player and I refuse to think of us as a mid-table team.
Obviously people are perfectly entitled to their own opinion but I remember similar negative musings when Guy Thompson was announced and although he has been injured many would say he should now be first pick in our back row.
Imho there are similarities between Wallace and Thompson with neither being afraid to go where it hurts which may account for their injury history
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 pm Can't say I'm overjoyed at the prospect of Wallace, he's not done much despite some early promise and hardly played in two years. And yes I know I'll get harangued for being negative but he's a solidly mid-table player and I refuse to think of us as a mid-table team.
Obviously people are perfectly entitled to their own opinion but I remember similar negative musings when Guy Thompson was announced and although he has been injured many would say he should now be first pick in our back row.
Imho there are similarities between Wallace and Thompson with neither being afraid to go where it hurts which may account for their injury history
Agreed, I don’t get all the negativity around Wallace. He appears back from injury, is a very good player as backup to Thompson and I’m sure a new environment will bring the best out of him. A few years ago when fit he was pushing into the England set up and has many plaudits such as Greenwood etc.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:14 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Agreed, I don’t get all the negativity around Wallace. He appears back from injury, is a very good player as backup to Thompson and I’m sure a new environment will bring the best out of him. A few years ago when fit he was pushing into the England set up and has many plaudits such as Greenwood etc.
Wallace will do a job and he's physical enough so that we could have a Thomson/Wallace flanker combination of required. He knows the league and European rugby. He'll be reasonably priced and won't be too much of a barrier to the likes of Reffell and Gough breaking through.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

So what’s the official word from Tigers on Varndell? He now been released? Dual contract? God knows what the thought process was with that. Also any news (any!) on potential new centres. We need about 14 of ‘em
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Varndell didn't cost us anything at least.
We had some depth when we needed it and he had a bit of a shop window.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Expect that to be the end of that then re: Varndell, RB?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

According to a poster on the unoffy, Jordan Coghlan is signed, from Nottingham.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Ex Leinster/Munster backrower?