Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 am Struggling to see how Wallace is a good singing if I’m honest...always injured and just an average to good squad player when fit

This is symptomatic of where Tigers are failing...on the whole singings over the past 5 years have just been average and due to this we currently have the worst Tigers squad ever assembled imo (how Glyn and Cohen are not held accountable for this is beyond comprehension)...surely this money spent on Wallace would go further on a young South African for example?
Such as?

Why is a young South African better than Wallace?

This is symptomatic of where a few Tigers fans are currently. Criticising pretty much every signing that the club makes.
Unfortunately the majority of signings we have made during the past few years need criticising...hence why we have such a dire squad...the only truly good one I can think of recently is Taufua...Reid as mentioned is a good singing but it does seem we potentially have to pay over the odds for players to come such is our fall from grace...anyway is called an opinion ellis, thankfully not all of us are fanboys and blindly support the people at the top without question (to be fair it could be why they are all still here because no-one questions them)

With the rand being so poor you would think we could get some good SA talent for similar cost compared to a player (granted only 28) with an extensive injury record is all I am saying...I understand EQ player credits affect this differently

Just seems we have a backrow with such little bite or real talent, until we sort this out and especially get the 8 we have needed for what seems a lifetime now we will never have success
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 am Say we are signing a youngish SA super rugby centre that would most likely mean we couldn't sign one at openside for example, and what position would we most likely need a youngish player in? As above we have 3 young opensides coming up why sign another SA one?
Should we read something into this, a youngish S.African centre on the horizon??

On the TPN thing, was there not some rumours we’d signed Charlie Clare for next year? Youngs and Kerr battling it out for starting berth, with Stevens, Clare and Mahoney backing up? Redistribute Polota-Nau’s salary elsewhere.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:22 am Say we are signing a youngish SA super rugby centre that would most likely mean we couldn't sign one at openside for example, and what position would we most likely need a youngish player in? As above we have 3 young opensides coming up why sign another SA one?
Should we read something into this, a youngish S.African centre on the horizon??

On the TPN thing, was there not some rumours we’d signed Charlie Clare for next year? Youngs and Kerr battling it out for starting berth, with Stevens, Clare and Mahoney backing up? Redistribute Polota-Nau’s salary elsewhere.

No this was just off the back of my comments as hypothetical sorry...I would imagine we are just banking his salary this year and then will hopefully redistribute next year but RB et al maybe able to divulge further
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Sale and Glaws will be full of SA players next Season - they don't seem to be worried about the need to have EQ players.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Gloucester have 10 non EQP in their squad very lucky Woodward, Marshall and Heinz are all EQP.
Sale will have around 14/15 maybe

Talk with clare is he might be a Stevens replacement.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

This obsession with signing Ex Tigers reeks of desperation. Green, Stevens, Varndell, Clare? and still counting......
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

We need some nasties in our forwards.
Not pussies.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:13 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 am I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays.

On way too much money to be 3rd choice.
Are we getting value for money? Definitely not, especially when he can’t hit a barn door at lineout time.
Apparently he is very accurate with his line out throws at Waratahs, however he has admitted that the transition to the northern hemisphere atmospherics has presented him a problem, perhaps he is returning for a recharge! as well as saving a bit in our salary cap too. :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Which is a really good reason not to chase the established, expensive internationals whose heart is in another country. Lets stop pining for some South Africans!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rykard wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:44 am didn't we bring a young hooker back from somewhere? Stevens?
Quite old actually. To be fair to him before injury he looked a very solid 3rd choice hooker. Charlie Clare fits the same bracket with a reasonable amount of experience since he left us.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am We need some nasties in our forwards.
Not pussies.
I think you mean wussies.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:13 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 am I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays.

On way too much money to be 3rd choice.

I've not been impressed with him, and at line outs he looks like a raw recruit.
Are we getting value for money? Definitely not, especially when he can’t hit a barn door at lineout time.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 am Struggling to see how Wallace is a good singing if I’m honest...always injured and just an average to good squad player when fit

This is symptomatic of where Tigers are failing...on the whole singings over the past 5 years have just been average and due to this we currently have the worst Tigers squad ever assembled imo (how Glyn and Cohen are not held accountable for this is beyond comprehension)...surely this money spent on Wallace would go further on a young South African for example?
Such as?

This is symptomatic of where a few Tigers fans are currently. Criticising pretty much every signing that the club makes.
Unfortunately the majority of signings we have made during the past few years need criticising...hence why we have such a dire squad...the only truly good one I can think of recently is Taufua...Reid as mentioned is a good singing but it does seem we potentially have to pay over the odds for players to come such is our fall from grace...anyway is called an opinion ellis, thankfully not all of us are fanboys and blindly support the people at the top without question (to be fair it could be why they are all still here because no-one questions them)

With the rand being so poor you would think we could get some good SA talent for similar cost compared to a player (granted only 28) with an extensive injury record is all I am saying...I understand EQ player credits affect this differently

Just seems we have a backrow with such little bite or real talent, until we sort this out and especially get the 8 we have needed for what seems a lifetime now we will never have success
I know it's an opinion and I'm more than entitled to question it. The same way you can and do my opinions.

Stop getting so annoyed when people question your opinions. This is what conversation and debate is about.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Congratulations to the 'brains trust' that is Cohen and Glynn, another recruitment success. I know I go on about it, but it would be great to know on a Performance Management basis, what underperformance looks like in their roles. Why there is a belief that things will change at the club whilst the same people remain in the real leadership positions beggars belief.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:33 pm
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 am

Such as?

I know it's an opinion and I'm more than entitled to question it. The same way you can and do my opinions.

Stop getting so annoyed when people question your opinions. This is what conversation and debate is about.
I am not annoyed at being questioned at all :smt023 the only thing I am annoyed by is how our great club has been allowed to become such a laughing stock and I want to see that rectified but under the current BOD this seems an arduous task...

Until we turn a corner I will continue to criticise because recruitment has been nothing short of a farce for years now...hopefully Taufua is the sign of things to come