Tigers v Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Tigers v Wasps

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not sure that it was called for a long throw....more a missed throw at the jumper....just out of reach....anyway, a win is on record.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

fentiger wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 am
Soggypitch wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:19 am I just read the match reports on line in the DT and DM, both focused on the TMO decisions but neither mentioned that we had 3 concussions in the first half and played the last 45 mins with a winger at scrum half and flanker on the wing!! You honestly would not have a clue reading those reports.

But we know, great fighting spirit shown (I will have nightmares about that lineout) and let's hope we kick on from here.
Yeah, why give Tigers some credit when it's easier to quote Dai Boi having a moan! :smt017
I think that is the media fault rather than Dai and to be fair his opening comment was to credit Tigers spirit for coping so well in the adversity of injuries and players playing out of position. I think he was very frustrated that his players could not capitalise on our position and finish the job, which they really should have done. Of all the DoRs I think Dai, like Rob Baxter, is usually balanced and fair in his comments.

Sorry, I sound like I am taking issue with you fentiger but I am certainly not. I just happened to be saying to our group yesterday that I quite like Dai as above and this seemed an appropriate point to comment. He will probably now go and prove me wrong !!😂
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me Will Spencer was immense. Made countless of tackles which stopped the player on the gainline unlike some passive tacklers. Also carried well from slow ball, massive workrate from the big guy.

Strong games also from Kalamfoni and Thompson. Youngs and Cole also getting back to their best in the last 2 games. With Denton coming back we should have a decent pack for the run in at the end of the season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Youngs lineout has been pretty much 100% in every game he's played since he has come back for injury.

Massive turnaround.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I guess Dai will be dragging JPD and the TMO down to SpecSavers? Tigers lucky to get away with that from a totally bodged lineout that should have been a basic defensive exit? However, Dai's comment on the three other scoring efforts were not valid IMO for the reasons given by JDP. Given the 'sticking-plaster' positions following the injuries and the MoM performance of Joe Ford, what a good 'scrambled' win. I thought Jack Willis was outstanding and was worthy of MoM. I hope Eddie Jones looks at him and Alex Dombrant, as 'England hopefuls', they are both ripping up the paddock at present. Although Zack Mercer had good game against AD yesterday apparantly?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I'd just like share my thoughts on the Simpson/Harrison 'head-kicking incident'. Most people on social media seem to be of the view that it was simply an unfortunate accident and that it was neither intentional nor reckless. Watching it from the Crumbie and later on TV, I disagree on both counts.

(I should add that, whilst I know all the rules extremely well, it's the law book of nineteen hundred and frozen-to-death that I follow. Nevertheless, Law 9 on 'Foul Play' says "Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.")

Was it 'intentional'?

Yes, of course it was! Unless he had some sort of involuntary spasm, Simpson fully intended to 'fly-hack' at where he thought the ball would be. Of course he didn't intend to kick Shazzam in the head - that would have been an action worthy of Callum Clark - but the 'fly-hack' was a deliberate act.

Was it reckless?

To answer this key question, we have to determine how likely it was that someone's head might be in the way. If this was a game of soccer or basketball or hockey, it would be reasonable to suggest that players rarely dive on the ball. If Simpson was on his own with no other player within 20 yards, it would be reasonable to think it unlikely that another player could contrive to place his head in the vicinity of aforementioned 'fly-hack'.

But this is rugby - where players are encouraged to 'fall on the ball' when it goes loose - and there were lots of players within touching distance of Simpson, all scrabbling to gain control of the play.

It was therefore quite likely that another player's head would be 'in the way' when Simpson attempted to hack the ball with a swinging boot. His action was dangerous because it was likely to cause injury. His action was reckless.

Those on social media (from both camps) who seek to excuse Simpson make the point that he is a 'jolly nice chap', that he apologised at the time and afterwards and that rugby is a contact sport. I think these are all valid points.

I also think he should have been red-carded for recklessly endangering another player and that he should now be cited.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:48 pm I'd just like share my thoughts on the Simpson/Harrison 'head-kicking incident'. Most people on social media seem to be of the view that it was simply an unfortunate accident and that it was neither intentional nor reckless. Watching it from the Crumbie and later on TV, I disagree on both counts.

(I should add that, whilst I know all the rules extremely well, it's the law book of nineteen hundred and frozen-to-death that I follow. Nevertheless, Law 9 on 'Foul Play' says "Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.")

Was it 'intentional'?

Yes, of course it was! Unless he had some sort of involuntary spasm, Simpson fully intended to 'fly-hack' at where he thought the ball would be. Of course he didn't intend to kick Shazzam in the head - that would have been an action worthy of Callum Clark - but the 'fly-hack' was a deliberate act.

Was it reckless?

To answer this key question, we have to determine how likely it was that someone's head might be in the way. If this was a game of soccer or basketball or hockey, it would be reasonable to suggest that players rarely dive on the ball. If Simpson was on his own with no other player within 20 yards, it would be reasonable to think it unlikely that another player could contrive to place his head in the vicinity of aforementioned 'fly-hack'.

But this is rugby - where players are encouraged to 'fall on the ball' when it goes loose - and there were lots of players within touching distance of Simpson, all scrabbling to gain control of the play.

It was therefore quite likely that another player's head would be 'in the way' when Simpson attempted to hack the ball with a swinging boot. His action was dangerous because it was likely to cause injury. His action was reckless.

Those on social media (from both camps) who seek to excuse Simpson make the point that he is a 'jolly nice chap', that he apologised at the time and afterwards and that rugby is a contact sport. I think these are all valid points.

I also think he should have been red-carded for recklessly endangering another player and that he should now be cited.
On first viewing I agreed with you but with the benefit of the replays, which is what JPD had, it was 100 % a rugby incident.
It was a bouncing ball which Simpson had every right to try and fly hack. Harrison was extremely brave to drop on the ball but him doing that and Simpson’s fly hack were exactly at the same time I.e. Simpson’s foot was already moving forward.
I think the reaction of the players around says a lot and there was not one negative reaction from a tigers player.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The ball actually wasn't loose when Simpson began his fly hack - it was in Shazzam's hands. I hate this 'slow-mo' analysis but, to me, it shows reckless play.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm The ball actually wasn't loose when Simpson began his fly hack - it was in Shazzam's hands. I hate this 'slow-mo' analysis but, to me, it shows reckless play.
Fair enough but I think you’re in a small minority on this one
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

BFG [/i wrote:post_id=711087 time=1551563966 user_id=11462]
If that was a good ref then Italy will win the six nations!
Don't get me wrong I couldn't really give a monkeys and Olowafela's try that was not springs to mind, but that was a try at the end all day long and having played the game and seen the different angles on the highlights I know that it couldn't physically not be!
I was very close to the action right at the end and can’t see how it could be given as a try. If the referee can’t see the grounding he has to rely on the TMO coming up with an angle that gives him something to work with...and from my admittedly dodgy view of the screens there wasn’t one. Even the Wasps fans around me (who’d been cursing JP for the previous 83 minutes) took that call on the chin.

Mind you, we did get the honey-coated end of the stick with the ‘forward pass’ earlier in the 2nd half. I also thought Young’s yellow card was harsh (at the time thought he’d been given it for dissent, not the stripping).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone remember Jamie Roberts blatant double movement? Or the knock-on try in the same game? Or the "none trys" in the Sarries game? It's about time we finally had the rub of the green!
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:35 pm
Don't get me wrong I couldn't really give a monkeys and Olowafela's try that was not springs to mind, but that was a try at the end all day long and having played the game and seen the different angles on the highlights I know that it couldn't physically not be!
I was very close to the action right at the end and can’t see how it could be given as a try. If the referee can’t see the grounding he has to rely on the TMO coming up with an angle that gives him something to work with...and from my admittedly dodgy view of the screens there wasn’t one. Even the Wasps fans around me (who’d been cursing JP for the previous 83 minutes) took that call on the chin.

Mind you, we did get the honey-coated end of the stick with the ‘forward pass’ earlier in the 2nd half. I also thought Young’s yellow card was harsh (at the time thought he’d been given it for dissent, not the stripping).
Youngs yellow was a team yellow Johnson had been warned by JPD end of the first half that next offence someone would go
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

He has the ball in his arm and under his shoulder, from one angle the ball is clearly down and from another angle his shoulder is well over the line, it was a try.
I've seen Cup Finals lost at lower level with comical officiating errors but you don't expect it so much at this level.
We didn't deserve to lose against Bath and Wasps didn't really deserve to lose yesterday.
Swings and roundabouts or so they say but it has been a bad season for officiating.
The commentary would likely do better as TMO's and that the question asked by the ref should matter is a farce in my opinion.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Youngs yellow was a team yellow Johnson had been warned by JPD end of the first half that next offence someone would go
Erm, Young lasted all of about 3 minutes before being replaced. I think you mean Tommy Taylor
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Youngs yellow card was for continuous team offences.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk