Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Squad Analysis

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 pm Ross McMillan Hooker- Stop gap
Jimmy Stevens Hooker- Stop gap
McMillan I agree. He was only ever brought in to bolster the options when TPN got the "surprise" call-up.

Stevens I think is a different case, and there may still be a squad place for him depending on retirements, leavers etc. The games he did play this season he was pretty good considering his squad standing. It's also worth remembering that when he was (probably recruited), Kerr was nowhere near the first 23; that's now obviously changed. That said, there's no reason why next season he can't give Mahoney competition for the 3rd/4th hooker spot.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

It is funny looking back at my original post, stating Tait retirement imminent I actually had no idea it would be that day...tickled me that has :smt023

RB do you have any idea when we will likely hear regarding further signings?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Inagree that if Manu goes his cap should go to Ford or a back-five forward but I think that we need a hard-hitting centre.

Clermont’s Apisai Naqalevu, not well known and won’t be too expensive.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:49 pm Inagree that if Manu goes his cap should go to Ford or a back-five forward but I think that we need a hard-hitting centre.

Clermont’s Apisai Naqalevu, not well known and won’t be too expensive.
You'd presume that Ford would become the second marquee if Manu leaves. So there would then be Fords approx £450k in the cap to invest along with a big tent to replace Toomua.

The other big tent from Toomua is there for a new signing to take - with the club rumoured to be looking for a forward.

There will likely be further signings (in addition to Reid and Taute) in the centre regardless of Manu staying or not.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

wellstiger wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:20 am
ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm Think the two out of 3 South African brothers are coming. Had a very senior moment and cannot remember their names. Sales Diamond hinted that they had been great for Sale but would most likely join a club in the Midlands!
Any signings might depend upon avoiding relegation!!
No need to worry about us being relegated. It's not going to happen.
I salute your optimism, and I hope we are not fighting relegation (being a glass half full bloke).
My only concern being if the International Tigers are utilised for England we do not pick up injuries that will rule them out for remainder of season. Viz- May - Genge
Even if those kind of injuries do happen, we still won't get relegated.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well, we shall have to see if we can wake our ideas up and start playing some decent rugby.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Ain't nobody too big to fail.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:12 pm Ain't nobody too big to fail.
If you're inferring to the comment that Tigers won't get relegated then I don't base it on the size of the club. I base it on that we will get more wins this season and Newcastle won't get anywhere near us on their points total.

By the way, when you say "ain't nobody too big to fail" you are actually saying that there are people too big to fail. 2 negatives make a positive not only in maths but in English language too.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:15 pm
VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:12 pm Ain't nobody too big to fail.
If you're inferring to the comment that Tigers won't get relegated then I don't base it on the size of the club. I base it on that we will get more wins this season and Newcastle won't get anywhere near us on their points total.

By the way, when you say "ain't nobody too big to fail" you are actually saying that there are people too big to fail. 2 negatives make a positive not only in maths but in English language too.
:smt041
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

so Edwards not going to WIGAN.
Wishes to remain in Union.!!! Ford doing a good job consulting - Murph DOR?? - Edwards ?????
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Yes, GM is to be DOR. Head coach will be announced after the World Cup thats the good news. Bad new Tigers won't get relegated so there will be no real change at the club but expect an underserved token sacrifice.

Players, well what of the Players that went to the board demanding RC to be sacked...these are the same players that are out there producing sub standard performances and are here to pick up the wages at the end of the week. How do you motivate these guys? well you can't, GM has no chance the only option is to show them the door.

Against Bristol we saw probably the worse display of the season. No offence to Bristol but they shouldn't be leaving Welford Road with a win. On paper we are the best team, on the field only 8, 10 and 15 looked the part. Even our set piece failed to dominate at times..

Leadership on the field, well Ford tried to get the players to raise their game but had little effect. Our one true leader was in the stand desperate to play. We need senior players to step up but who in the forwards could step up?

New signings, well the idea we can sign average players and turn them into very good players as Tigers have done in the past is to believe in Santa, it only works if you have an excellent coaching team. We seem to still be looking at the MOC idea of a forward, one who can win the contact area, that big brute. Unfortunately you have to get to the contact area to win it. The game as changed, you still need your BB but forwards need to be fast. They have to defend against the opposition's backs who will exploit any lack of pace. They also need to tackle. Sadly very few of our current team are prepared to put their body on the line and we are top of the table when it comes to missed tackles.

So what next, well if I were a Player reading this I'd be angry and hurt if I had any pride. Prove me wrong go out there and put in a performance that the supporters, those men and women that pay your wages, those supporters that turn up week after week often standing in the rain and cold can be proud of!