Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Squad Analysis

Post by RagingBull »

Gigena is out of contract.
Holmes is also. (although apparently signed a deal way back in November).

Cortes might be in contract.
Stevens in contract but might be having issues.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is Leitaga a done deal RB?

Edit: according to French press signed two year deal and comes summer this year.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:30 pm Gigena is out of contract.
Holmes is also. (although apparently signed a deal way back in November).

Cortes might be in contract.
Stevens in contract but might be having issues.
I'd heard Holmes signed a new deal prior to his Wales call-up in the Autumn, hence he will still be eligible for Wales selection during that contract as he signed before being selected. Who knows what will happen to 'Gatland's rule' or Holmes place in the pecking order with a new coach though.

Gigena would be a good re-signing. He's improved a lot but won't cost too much.

Cortes, Feao and potentially Leatigaga would be a big chunk of cap on at best 3rd choice props though.

Is Stevens a concussion issue?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Not sure that TTRITH will get his wishes as I expect some of his to to keep or look at will be released, or should I have put have already been! :smt039
Still, makes room for pay bumps! :smt011
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Like?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Does this analysis extend to the quality of the Board, The Chief Executive Officer, The Head of Rugby Operations. I would have thought that other premiership clubs would be as desperate to Cohen and Glynn as Racing 92 are Tuilagi.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Think the two out of 3 South African brothers are coming. Had a very senior moment and cannot remember their names. Sales Diamond hinted that they had been great for Sale but would most likely join a club in the Midlands!
Any signings might depend upon avoiding relegation!!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:40 pm Gigena would be a good re-signing. He's improved a lot but won't cost too much.
I agree. Considering he is at least only 3rd choice LH, I thought he played well - particularly in the scrum - on Sunday. Worth keeping ahead of some of the "older" props (although obviously Ma'afu was only a dispensation signing).

Elsewhere, hard to pass judgement on Spencer, Denton etc. George Worth is an interesting one; at other Prem clubs he could certainly look at a starting shirt on a regular basis. We're just very lucky to have had a string of very high class 15s.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm Think the two out of 3 South African brothers are coming. Had a very senior moment and cannot remember their names. Sales Diamond hinted that they had been great for Sale but would most likely join a club in the Midlands!
No need to worry about us being relegated. It's not going to happen.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:14 pm Think the two out of 3 South African brothers are coming. Had a very senior moment and cannot remember their names. Sales Diamond hinted that they had been great for Sale but would most likely join a club in the Midlands!
Would be surprised if they ended up here and not also at Sale. Guess you never know until the official announcement.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This relegation talk is rather silly, once Ford et al return we will make a top six push, that and Newcastle are already a good way back the poor guys.

If we got the Du Preez twins that would be perfect, Jean Luc is a very good number 8 and would instantly make our back row a lot better and surely Dan being his twin can't be far behind him.

As mentioned above the main issue with this club is the people making the playing decisions and coaching decisions, until Cohen or Glynn et al are held accountable it is all farcical anyway :smt019
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:12 am
This relegation talk is rather silly, once Ford et al return we will make a top six push, that and Newcastle are already a good way back the poor guys.

If we got the Du Preez twins that would be perfect, Jean Luc is a very good number 8 and would instantly make our back row a lot better and surely Dan being his twin can't be far behind him.

As mentioned above the main issue with this club is the people making the playing decisions and coaching decisions, until Cohen or Glynn et al are held accountable it is all farcical anyway :smt019
Would love to be true, would be a massive statement and strength in depth for the backrow. Plus Dan can also cover lock as well.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its not true they have both signed for Sale , although only Rob has publicly been announced by Sale to my knowledge.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:41 pm
These I do not think are up to standard:

Ross McMillan Hooker- Stop gap
Jimmy Stevens Hooker- Stop gap
Graham Kitchener Lock- Showed promise but never hit the heights we thought he could
James Voss Lock- unknown for me
Valentino Mapa Back row- Seems to have gone off the boil
Brendon O'Connor Back row- Thought he was going to be amazing and has shown flashes but too injury prone
Mike Williams Back row- Off and never really set WR on fire at all
Joe Ford Fly-half- Not good enough
Matt Toomua Centre/Fly-half- Not worked out well never really looked anywhere near the player he was for Aus/Brum
Kyle Eastmond Centre- Doesn't really seem to do anything very well for us imo
Gareth Owen Centre- Had a few good games but mostly not up to standard and injury prone
Matt Smith Centre- Great squad player maybe just one season too many now
Leonardo Sarto v Wing- Not seen yet
Tom Varndell Wing- Looked disinterested versus Sarries
Mathew Tait Fullback- Great player but seems like retirement imminent
+ 1 :smt052

I would add
Tatafu Polota-Na Hooker - 89+ International caps and can't throw straight.

Kyle Eastmond for me has been a bitter disappointment - Played both codes and should offer more. Not the player he was at Barff. Should be either put out on loan or used as a bargaining chip for new player.

However I would keep Matt Smith for another season - he is a good utility player - his tackling has been up there despite his advancing years as a Tiger. Others would do well to follow his example.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I salute your optimism, and I hope we are not fighting relegation (being a glass half full bloke).
My only concern being if the International Tigers are utilised for England we do not pick up injuries that will rule them out for remainder of season. Viz- May - Genge