Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 pm I can't believe that Ford might be expecting a pay bump given the current position, blimey what planet are they on!
I'd be looking around for some smart recruitment for the season after next.
Malins and Lozowski might fancy the opportunity, they aren't ousting Farrell and another Vunipola is coming through who I believe plays at 10.
Searle or Umaga from Wasps might fancy the opportunity with Sapoaga in their way.
Also bring Flood back as a player/coach!
Some Falcons fans are already bemoaning the injury to Hodgson because Flood looks a season past his best. Given we have both Hardwick and Costelow on the way through the development programme I don't see the point in signing a player that will be 35 by the start of the season after next.

Ford has reliably been our best player this season. If he continues that next season then the summer after he can have a pay rise.
If you say so, personally I think that view is exactly how Leicester became even less competitive in an ever increasing competitive market by overpaying players beyond their value rather than being shop savvy!
That it came from Kay only reaffirms my opinion!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 pmFord has reliably been our best player this season
Totally agree. Management, and decision making along with his skillsets, often under estimated when trying to operate as a playmaker between a pile of dis-functionality in the forwards and dis-unity in the backs. Ford would make an excellent captain for Tigers.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You say that yet Wasps offered Umaga over double what we offered him at U18 level, yet you think we should also look at bringing him back.
Manu Vunipola isn't anything special from what I've seen and heard.

Honestly would rather focus on Costelow than either of those 2 in terms of development.
Either that or look at options abroad

Flood as a player coach would be interesting, I think his body has gone past it's best but he will still have a very good rugby brain, Stephen Jones did something similar at Wasps.

But Ford has been worth his money so far.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Not a chance in hell does Ford deserve anymore than the rumoured money he's on. No way.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiger93 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am Not a chance in hell does Ford deserve anymore than the rumoured money he's on. No way.
Why?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Marquee system is inflationary. When first introduced Tigers simply moved their highest paid player (Castro) outside the cap, then a second marquee had to be someone not playing in the Premiership in the previous season i.e, Toomua when signing his contract. I don't think Tigers paid the marquee players massively more than top earners within the cap as quite simply as in any business employees will be unsettled if one person doing the same job is paid a lot more. If Manu (as I hope he does) accepts an increase on his wages it is certain that the Ben Youngs, George Ford and Johnny May being players of similar status will expect a similar increase when next negotiating new contracts. Other team members of slightly lesser standing will expect an increase as will the ordinary squad members, this can only be funded within the cap by having fewer players or a massive difference in quality between first and second and third choices in any position.
It is against human nature to expect a player to accept a much lower wage than he can earn elsewhere in what is a short career, why should he be penalised for loyalty, no agent will let that happen.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

With players like Cole, Youngs, May, Ford etc. out of contract next season, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we won't be paying up to the cap next season?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Question would people be ok with releasing Toomua early from his contract for a compensation that goes into the keep manu pot?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Well , if Ben Youngs did go I would not worry one jot - has been poor for us for a few years now .
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 am With players like Cole, Youngs, May, Ford etc. out of contract next season, is it beyond the realms of possibility that we won't be paying up to the cap next season?
I wouldn't be surprised if the club doesn't try that hard to keep some of them.
Pretty sure Cole signed a 3 year contract along with Veainu (not 100% sure though).
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I certainly would not be disappointed should we release Youngs. He has been miss firing for most of the season for us.
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

DingDong wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:05 pmFord has reliably been our best player this season
Totally agree. Management, and decision making along with his skillsets, often under estimated when trying to operate as a playmaker between a pile of dis-functionality in the forwards and dis-unity in the backs. Ford would make an excellent captain for Tigers.
I agree with this and in addition to Ford we have quality throughout the back line but a pack that aren't on the same level. We always have a decent stock of class props - I've been very impressed by Heyes and in Kerr we have a decent young hooker coming through - from what I've seen he can actually throw straight as well! Tigers clearly need to recruit class in the back row, and they have started with Taufua, who looks a mouthwatering player. If we can add to that and get a top quality 2nd row maybe as a marquee then our back line that is world class on paper should get some quality ball and be able to fulfil their collective potential. If the defence improves and Murphy manages to conjure up some coherent attacking tactics then we should start winning games. I also think that once we've turned the corner and the young lads start to experience winning in the premiership they'll grow massively in confidence which in turn will....and so on.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

It's an interesting mindset that suggests we ought to let go our best players who are established international performers for a series of flimsy reasons which quite clearly hold no water rather than improve our support around them to make the most of their ability.

Just what do people expect happens when you refuse to pay your star performers more or you let go your best players - we suddenly rise like the phoenix through a flurry of "savvy signings" of players who for some unbeknownst reason are international class without anyone but us noticing? Rather than, say, players of potential becoming such class through playing with international class players or with high quality coaches/S and C staff/Support staff?

Interesting mindset indeed.
Last edited by kornboy130 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:07 am
Tiger93 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am Not a chance in hell does Ford deserve anymore than the rumoured money he's on. No way.
Why?
I just don't think he justifies it. He's brilliant, but not world class or anywhere near world class.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ford's on around 450,000
The 600,000 + figure that gets rumoured around is from Goode getting his wires crossed.