Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester vs Tigers

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:10 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm When you need to perform the sorry excuse for a tactic that is the catapillar as often as Leicester do then know they are in trouble!
White even encourages it, my word he is so so slow that it's unreal that he's actually paid to play!
But if you are using the box kick, you want to give your SH the best chance of success, and the best way to that is get him as far away as possible from the opposition. Sarries work very hard on that. And for the box kick (since it is a telegraphed tactic) accuracy is perhaps more important than speed?

The issue isn't so much the kick, it is what happens afterwards. Tigers defensive follow-up was often poorly coordinated (I think Healey highlighted one incidence in his commentary). Once again they looked tentative, as if they were unsure what defence policy they were using. Odd, as they must be doing the right thing in training.
The half backs set the intensity for the rest of the team to play at, without it the rest doesn't stand much chance.
Leicester were a team playing not to lose on Sunday and there is undoubtedly a consideration to be made that it might've been the coaches approach, but I've seen White at age grade and he was slow then with a bullying England age grade pack in front of him.
I've always had doubts and recent performances have confirmed mine, he's well coached and tries hard but the intensity isn't present in my opinion.
It's not the way forward and not the way Leiceater will get anywhere near the best out of signings like Tuafua, it just won't work as dynamism is just as useless as size with a wall set up in front of it.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm When you need to perform the sorry excuse for a tactic that is the catapillar as often as Leicester do then know they are in trouble!
White even encourages it, my word he is so so slow that it's unreal that he's actually paid to play!
I thought he played well versus Worcester, ran from the base more, unfortunately forwards didn’t offer him enough and they didn’t offer him a good enough platform to box-kick.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:33 pm
I thought he played well versus Worcester, ran from the base more, unfortunately forwards didn’t offer him enough and they didn’t offer him a good enough platform to box-kick.
That's the regular counter argument in that the forwards don't lay the platform, but he was actually slowing everything down on Sunday to a pathetic level, it's a team game and they didn't stand a chance in my opinion.
If you watched the Gloucester versus Saracens match on Friday night then see the difference between Wigglesworth and Spencer, without all those massive England forwards Wigglesworth and Saracens struggled, Spencer came on and immediately changed the game, proof that a higher intensity can be set from the half backs and without a dominant pack on the gain line.
Of course an alternative option is that Leicester could just go and buy a massive high class pack, which is what Cockers is rumoured to have said was needed to continue as we were several years ago!
Last edited by BFG on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes I don't buy it either BFG,look at the superb tempo Harrison sets in games he plays ,slow rugby is incredibly easy to defend against.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm Well, what can I say? The rot has set in, and it's getting worse. Today it plummeted to even lower depths. Abysmal it certainly was. I won't go over what other posters have said, but the big question is, where do we go from here?

It looks to me as though the coaching staff are diabolical, with G.M. showing himself up today re Hardwick, who apart from that late error, played better than most. Mr. Murphy you were completely out of order, and you should apologize to the lad.

It was completely obvious today that nothing is happening to improve the situation, and I wonder once again if G.M. is up to the job, although I believe he should have the opportunity to resolve our failings, next season.

A great deal will depend on who is incoming, I hope that whoever they are, we don't continue to coach as we have been doing.

That said, yes, today I feel gutted, and wondering how we ever allowed ourselves to decline to the lowest level possible.
I thought you didn't do doom and gloom :smt017

Especially done for you. :smt005
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe G.M. should be reading the riot act to those players who persistently fail to perform. He should be saying that if they don't want to perform, they don't belong at the club. He may of course have done this, and it still goes on. Get rid of those players, and bring in people who have a desire to give their blood on the pitch.

For now, he should be omitting those players who can't be bothered to do that. I know it is easy to criticise from a distance, but this fact is blatantly obvious. :smt018 :smt018
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:15 pm
MikeR wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03 pm I found Allen's comment utterly depressing . If the only strategy of our Coaching Team is to kick ( very poorly at that ! ) and pray for a mistake then there is little hope of progress .
I did not interpret what Allen said in that way. I may be wrong but I thought he was acknowledging it was a poor quality game and, given it was poor quality, it will probably be decided by something as equally poor as a dropped-off tackle or a mistake by the opposition. I think these were the 2 examples he gave and I did not think he was adopting this as a tactic to win tbe match.
I agree. It seems a bit of a stretch to suggest as some have that AA was suggesting that was our tactic of choice.

We need to keep the faith and recognise we did better away from home with more than half a team missing than we did at home with more or less a full team in the reverse fixture. We also moved a point further away from the bottom of the table. It’s not a lot I’ll grant you but given we have already started to say goodbye to some and are building some serious home grown strength in depth for next season, there are definitely green shoots.

Next week, if we are fortunate to have officials watching for infringements from both teams, we have a serious chance of rejoining the chasing group.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Gigena made RugbyPass’ team of the week :smt038
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think we need to just try and get this season over and done with as quickly as possible, so Murphy can sot down and actually plan, get rid of the players who clearly don’t play for the shirt, look at Saints and Quins last season, they finished 9th & 10th respectively, as long as fans treat this season as, I don’t know, set in stone we should be better for next season, especially experience for the youngsters.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:31 pm
But if you are using the box kick, you want to give your SH the best chance of success, and the best way to that is get him as far away as possible from the opposition. Sarries work very hard on that. And for the box kick (since it is a telegraphed tactic) accuracy is perhaps more important than speed?

The issue isn't so much the kick, it is what happens afterwards. Tigers defensive follow-up was often poorly coordinated (I think Healey highlighted one incidence in his commentary). Once again they looked tentative, as if they were unsure what defence policy they were using. Odd, as they must be doing the right thing in training.
The half backs set the intensity for the rest of the team to play at, without it the rest doesn't stand much chance.
Leicester were a team playing not to lose on Sunday and there is undoubtedly a consideration to be made that it might've been the coaches approach, but I've seen White at age grade and he was slow then with a bullying England age grade pack in front of him.
I've always had doubts and recent performances have confirmed mine, he's well coached and tries hard but the intensity isn't present in my opinion.
It's not the way forward and not the way Leiceater will get anywhere near the best out of signings like Tuafua, it just won't work as dynamism is just as useless as size with a wall set up in front of it.
Well yes, but it is pointless setting an intensity that the rest of the team can't match. The converse is the half backs need supporting players to be alert enough to offer options and by and large they are not doing so. White has gone round the fringes a few times to find himself on his own. That only needs to happen a few times for him to become risk adverse. But intensity (or indeed speed) are not the thing with the box kick - that is about platform and execution. Because you need the runners or the line set to move up.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:16 am One of the worst games I have watched in a long time, Tigers offered so little in almost every area bar the scrum!

Add to that Maxwell Keys who is an awful ref- I am not even talking about just for us for both teams, there is nothing worse than seeing who sir is and knowing it will be an awful spectacle and that is how it is in rugby now, ref interpretation is so important.
Agreed Maxwell-Keys is the new Greg Garner of the Premiership and his love of the TMO is an indication of his lack of decision making and understanding of the laws. I feel sure that Geordan reamed out Tony Spreadbury as he drove to the Twickenham review on Monday morning as CMK is incompetant.
So is the TMO David Rose as this is at least the third Tigers no try decision this season from him
~ 2 @ Worcs and 1 @ v Gloucester 5th Jan. Is this a coincidence? Does David Rose dislike Tigers one wonders! :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 am
JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:16 am One of the worst games I have watched in a long time, Tigers offered so little in almost every area bar the scrum!

Add to that Maxwell Keys who is an awful ref- I am not even talking about just for us for both teams, there is nothing worse than seeing who sir is and knowing it will be an awful spectacle and that is how it is in rugby now, ref interpretation is so important.
Agreed Maxwell-Keys is the new Greg Garner of the Premiership and his love of the TMO is an indication of his lack of decision making and understanding of the laws. I feel sure that Geordan reamed out Tony Spreadbury as he drove to the Twickenham review on Monday morning as CMK is incompetant.
So is the TMO David Rose as this is at least the third Tigers no try decision this season from him
~ 2 @ Worcs and 1 @ v Gloucester 5th Jan. Is this a coincidence? Does David Rose dislike Tigers one wonders! :smt017
two for Olowofela too! Although one was justified unfortunately.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Here we go again blaming the ref and TMO for our loss, to many one eyed posters on here.
We lost because we were not good enough as a team and our coaching team is not to the standard required.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:00 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Well yes, but it is pointless setting an intensity that the rest of the team can't match. The converse is the half backs need supporting players to be alert enough to offer options and by and large they are not doing so. White has gone round the fringes a few times to find himself on his own. That only needs to happen a few times for him to become risk adverse. But intensity (or indeed speed) are not the thing with the box kick - that is about platform and execution. Because you need the runners or the line set to move up.
When the intensity is there from the half backs we have seen the team match it enough to win on several occasions, Worcester and Sale last season for example.
If a scum half goes off on his own or his team didn't follow it up then as a playmaker he either made the wrong choice or didn't communicate it, in White's case he had possibly already sent the entire team to sleep!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There were numerous examples on the TV during the game of White arranging the ball with his foot at the back of the rucks - paying no attention to his players or what was in front of him. He almost had to be told on each and every occasion to use it.

What's the point of runners making a move when it is clear and evident that the scum half is not going to deliver the ball?

Every ruck went from 2 or 3 Tigers forwards being tied in to at least 6 before White would play the ball. So who's left to attack an opposition line that has formed and has 3 more forwards in it than the attacking side because the scum half has taken so long to look up let alone consider the options that they no longer exist.