Worcester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worcester vs Tigers

Post by JackFlashJonny »

One of the worst games I have watched in a long time, Tigers offered so little in almost every area bar the scrum!

Add to that Maxwell Keys who is an awful ref- I am not even talking about just for us for both teams, there is nothing worse than seeing who sir is and knowing it will be an awful spectacle and that is how it is in rugby now, ref interpretation is so important.

Where do we go from here? Our squad is by far the worst Tigers squad ever assembled (ironic that it is by all accounts the most expensive due to extra salary cap we spend up to?) I think we just need our England boys back and we can stave off a relegation fight and maybe challenge for top 6...

On the plus side next season is only 7 months or so away :smt030
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Possible the worst game of rugby I’ve ever watched. I knew halfway through the second half it was going to be that way when Ant Allen told the World we are just looking for a Worcester mistake ! Hottest Feb day I’ve ever known on a plastic pitch and we were terrible but almost win a match 13-10. Also shows how bad Worcester are as well given they are virtually full strength and at home.

The only positive I can take is we are in process of blooding quite a few home grown youngsters and may benefit from that further down the road. From a purely personal point of view I’m not to fussed any more with top six. We are a million miles away from winning the main European competition and I’d quite like a couple of new European trips which will come if we are in the lesser competition. Although I’d like us to finish the season with some good results.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I found Allen's comment utterly depressing . If the only strategy of our Coaching Team is to kick ( very poorly at that ! ) and pray for a mistake then there is little hope of progress .
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

What a weekend for England and Leicester sport! :censored: depressing.
On reflection, Tigers were no better or worse than I expected us to be, given the time of year.
The problem as I see it is, the 6N period and the expectation that our second and third string can compete with a club who
are not depleted by international absentees and at an away ground.
Yes we knew it was coming and it will be argued that we should prepare for it. But strength in the second string can only be maintained by rising stars from the academy, experienced and highly rated players don't want to come and only play when our international players are away. Playing players who are about to move on in the summer is rivven with problems as more than anything, they don't want to banjax their move by being injured. It was clear to me that some were going through the motions.
I suspect that we would have won that game easily enough with our international absentees and a decent ref and let's not forget, our best player is long time absent after a foot operation. What a difference a fit TV would have made to that game.
But we have to stick with GM in the short term. The hand he was dealt was not good and he can only really be judged when the players are his and he has had a year to establish.
That we have to endure the long periods of AIs and the 6Ns during the season is sheer madness. What other game would put up with that? Time to bombard Bill Beaumont with letters to that effect. Move the 6N to after the PL is completed. Scrap the AIs all together. I liked seeing the touring teams once in a decade, not twice a year home and away. Familiarity, as they say, breeds contempt.
A life long Tiger
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

MikeR wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03 pm I found Allen's comment utterly depressing . If the only strategy of our Coaching Team is to kick ( very poorly at that ! ) and pray for a mistake then there is little hope of progress .
I did not interpret what Allen said in that way. I may be wrong but I thought he was acknowledging it was a poor quality game and, given it was poor quality, it will probably be decided by something as equally poor as a dropped-off tackle or a mistake by the opposition. I think these were the 2 examples he gave and I did not think he was adopting this as a tactic to win tbe match.
As Good As It Gets
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Harsh on Cole, but otherwise fair.

No passion, little skill, and little pride in the shirt from maybe half of the starting 15. Toomua clearly has one eye on the plane back to Oz.

Of the 15 I would not be sad to see Eastmond, Owen leaving next season either.

Of the pack Williams and Kitch are gone anyway, and would be happy to see Fitzgerald and Polota-Nau (bench this time) gone too.

We need a clear out.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I pretty much agree with Smudge's comments. Some of the players about to depart did not perform to their best. Worth I thought did well, Hardwick despite the missed kick to touch did ok and remember Toomua also missed touch with a kick early on. Guy Thompson when he got on was good as was our front row. Successive not straight throws in the lineout is poor and could have been crucial.
I thought we would win this game despite our missing players with our bench looking the stronger we should have finished well.
Positives for the future, our young players coming through, hopefully good news about Manu in the next few days and eventually the announcement of new signings that will be an upgrade on the ones departing. Geordan will have a complete preseason although that will be interrupted by World Cup demands. It may take a couple of years but we will be back, the last time we were down the league at this level saw Deano depart and it took a couple of years of Pat Howard and Cocker to get us back to the top. It was a shame Pat felt the need to go home.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Smudge wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:13 pm What a weekend for England and Leicester sport! :censored: depressing.
On reflection, Tigers were no better or worse than I expected us to be, given the time of year.
The problem as I see it is, the 6N period and the expectation that our second and third string can compete with a club who
are not depleted by international absentees and at an away ground.
Yes we knew it was coming and it will be argued that we should prepare for it. But strength in the second string can only be maintained by rising stars from the academy, experienced and highly rated players don't want to come and only play when our international players are away. Playing players who are about to move on in the summer is rivven with problems as more than anything, they don't want to banjax their move by being injured. It was clear to me that some were going through the motions.
I suspect that we would have won that game easily enough with our international absentees and a decent ref and let's not forget, our best player is long time absent after a foot operation. What a difference a fit TV would have made to that game.
But we have to stick with GM in the short term. The hand he was dealt was not good and he can only really be judged when the players are his and he has had a year to establish.
That we have to endure the long periods of AIs and the 6Ns during the season is sheer madness. What other game would put up with that? Time to bombard Bill Beaumont with letters to that effect. Move the 6N to after the PL is completed. Scrap the AIs all together. I liked seeing the touring teams once in a decade, not twice a year home and away. Familiarity, as they say, breeds contempt.
Entirely agree - other commitments meant I could only watch the first half but my immediate thought was a typical 6N period game. And actually Tigers were a mistimed support run and a refereeing decision (another ref may well have decided Owen's obstruction was not material) away from being 3 tries up at half time. Coaches have some interesting calls to make for the next game.

Incidentally, some of the criticism of White's kicking is unfair. He was often under pressure because of Wuss counter-ruck and a lack of protection by the forwards. It is difficult to box kick accurately without a stable platform.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Two poor teams and one P poor officiating team.( For both sides)
It appears that laying over the breakdown and blocking quick ball is OK. Not policing the scrum is OK.Blocking also OK
One team responded to this very quickly and Tigers didn't until 2nd Half.
As I've stated before high tackles are punished by penalty only. Far cry from the edict at start of season with Sin bin and in our case, Red card and Disciplinary panel.
And this continues at International level.
Next week we will get another Sir with another take on the rules. How long will it take for us to adapt. :smt015
By the way if we are going to kick from ruck can we please have 3 more bodies to add to the 6-8 we had committed to allow our 9 to kick to an on rushing opposition( Sarcasm) :smt013 :smt013
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:54 pm Two poor teams and one P poor officiating team.( For both sides)
It appears that laying over the breakdown and blocking quick ball is OK. Not policing the scrum is OK.Blocking also OK
One team responded to this very quickly and Tigers didn't until 2nd Half.
As I've stated before high tackles are punished by penalty only. Far cry from the edict at start of season with Sin bin and in our case, Red card and Disciplinary panel.
And this continues at International level.
Next week we will get another Sir with another take on the rules. How long will it take for us to adapt. :smt015
By the way if we are going to kick from ruck can we please have 3 more bodies to add to the 6-8 we had committed to allow our 9 to kick to an on rushing opposition( Sarcasm) :smt013 :smt013
It does make you wonder what the refs talk about when they get together to consider uniformity of approach - how to ensure they're all 'singing off the same hymn-sheet' in their interpretation of the laws.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Regarding the refs I’m already fully expecting us to receive a yellow card the next time one of our players knock on from an opponents pass. I’m sure we are something like 10-1 down when it comes to sin binning for this offence. Poor old Jonny May got two in one game. :smt002
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

When you need to perform the sorry excuse for a tactic that is the catapillar as often as Leicester do then know they are in trouble!
White even encourages it, my word he is so so slow that it's unreal that he's actually paid to play!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm When you need to perform the sorry excuse for a tactic that is the catapillar as often as Leicester do then know they are in trouble!
White even encourages it, my word he is so so slow that it's unreal that he's actually paid to play!
Its not as if he can actually box kick very well and its excruciatingly poor to watch
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scuttle wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:15 pm
MikeR wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:03 pm I found Allen's comment utterly depressing . If the only strategy of our Coaching Team is to kick ( very poorly at that ! ) and pray for a mistake then there is little hope of progress .
I did not interpret what Allen said in that way. I may be wrong but I thought he was acknowledging it was a poor quality game and, given it was poor quality, it will probably be decided by something as equally poor as a dropped-off tackle or a mistake by the opposition. I think these were the 2 examples he gave and I did not think he was adopting this as a tactic to win tbe match.
I took it that way also, Scuttle.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BFG wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:14 pm When you need to perform the sorry excuse for a tactic that is the catapillar as often as Leicester do then know they are in trouble!
But if you are using the box kick, you want to give your SH the best chance of success, and the best way to that is get him as far away as possible from the opposition. Sarries work very hard on that. And for the box kick (since it is a telegraphed tactic) accuracy is perhaps more important than speed?

The issue isn't so much the kick, it is what happens afterwards. Tigers defensive follow-up was often poorly coordinated (I think Healey highlighted one incidence in his commentary). Once again they looked tentative, as if they were unsure what defence policy they were using. Odd, as they must be doing the right thing in training.