Worcester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester vs Tigers

Post by trendylfj »

Having just got back from the game which I had to leave with 5 mins to go so didn't see what happened at the end, here are my thoughts about who we should retain and who should be let go if contracts allow and my ratings out of 10:-
rating comment retain or not

Worth 7 needs to work on his positioning yes
Holmes 7 a poor game by his standards yes
Owen 5 did absolutely nothing to keep his place no
Eastmond 7 average throughout - not a 1st choice yes
Olowofela 6 poor positioning - not ready yet probably yes
Toomua 6 expected much more from him Gone
White 6 Tries but much to learn yes
Gigena 7 An excellent back up prop yes
Youngs 7 Gave 100% whilst he was on yes
Cole 6 not impressed today - he is better than this yes
Wells 7 Our best lock today yes
Kitchener 6 Not the Kitch of old Gone
Fitzgerald 6 Not a 1st choice backrow depends on who is coming
Williams 6 Not a natural 7 yes
Kalamafoni 8 best player by far yes
Of the rest - TPN has to be let go nowhere near good enough
Spencer, Thompson, Heyes and Hardwick must start next week. Simmons needs to be kept but has a lot to learn. The jury is out for me on Ma'afu and Aspland -Finally - Where is Sarto?????
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Being way too nice with your rankings, unless it's out of 100.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well, what can I say? The rot has set in, and it's getting worse. Today it plummeted to even lower depths. Abysmal it certainly was. I won't go over what other posters have said, but the big question is, where do we go from here?

It looks to me as though the coaching staff are diabolical, with G.M. showing himself up today re Hardwick, who apart from that late error, played better than most. Mr. Murphy you were completely out of order, and you should apologize to the lad.

It was completely obvious today that nothing is happening to improve the situation, and I wonder once again if G.M. is up to the job, although I believe he should have the opportunity to resolve our failings, next season.

A great deal will depend on who is incoming, I hope that whoever they are, we don't continue to coach as we have been doing.

That said, yes, today I feel gutted, and wondering how we ever allowed ourselves to decline to the lowest level possible.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

wardy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:59 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:44 pm Yes, everyone who is going shouldn't start another game for the rest of the season.
It's worse than when Simpson's head went to Perpignan about two months before the rest of him.
You must have had a really bad weekend, BD, what with the Welsh crowing yesterday and Tigers today. Posh Richard having his pennies worth? No Remy tonight then 🤔
Yes really poor, sober and impoverished. Precisely as you suggest Wardy old chap!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

To be fair to Murphy I thought that the error from Hardwick was one that a player in that position just shouldn't be making, and especially for the sort of money rumoured.
If J Ford made that error he'd be destroyed for it on here.
Lots have been calling for Hardwick to play, the pressure for it has been evident, but it was obvious that a mistake like that was likely, and then the coach gets it in the neck!
Likewise PTN not straight throwing in which was really poor, it's not as if it was windy or anything and these are big errors from such simple areas for a coach with his neck on the block.
Playing badly elsewhere they stand little chance if they can't do the nuts and bolts!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:58 pm Williams 6 Not a natural 7 yes
Thought Mike Williams was confirmed to Bath for next season? Might have trouble retaining him, he's looked another whose head is already out of the club - which is a shame as I do like/rate him though he's not been right for some time.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:03 pm Being way too nice with your rankings, unless it's out of 100.
+me. I suffered too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 pm To be fair to Murphy I thought that the error from Hardwick was one that a player in that position just shouldn't be making, and especially for the sort of money rumoured.
Lots have been calling for Hardwick to play, the pressure for it has been evident, but it was obvious that a mistake like that was likely, and then the coach gets it in the neck!
Likewise PTN not straight throwing in which was really poor, it's not as if it was windy or anything and these are big errors from such simple areas for a coach with his neck on the block.
Playing badly elsewhere they stand little chance if they can't do the nuts and bolts!
That error aside Hardwick was very good. I'm happier to see a 19 year old make one error than a 28 year old repeatedly fail to get the backline moving or control a game. Hardwick will have got a lot of plaudits today and a little reminder that he needs to work in his basics won't hurt.

TPN I agree with. He's an 80 cap international, he should be able to throw the ball straight at the lineout. Murphy would be pulling his hair out if he had any left.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 pm To be fair to Murphy I thought that the error from Hardwick was one that a player in that position just shouldn't be making, and especially for the sort of money rumoured.
That error aside Hardwick was very good. I'm happier to see a 19 year old make one error than a 28 year old repeatedly fail to get the backline moving or control a game. Hardwick will have got a lot of plaudits today and a little reminder that he needs to work in his basics won't hurt.

TPN I agree with. He's an 80 cap international, he should be able to throw the ball straight at the lineout. Murphy would be pulling his hair out if he had any left.
Hardwick showed no more flair than J Ford.
Personally I think that Harrison is a better 9 than White and also a better 10 than Hardwick!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:18 pm Exactly! Very good player but underpowered at times, especially at 8. Him and BoC outside a beast would've worked though.
Which was the plan via Fonua, trouble is didn't work and the board couldn't be asked to find a replacement the following season.
Yep, they couldnt be bothered to fund any of RCs wishes, that's what he said when at Toulon
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm Well, what can I say? The rot has set in, and it's getting worse. Today it plummeted to even lower depths. Abysmal it certainly was. I won't go over what other posters have said, but the big question is, where do we go from here?

It looks to me as though the coaching staff are diabolical, with G.M. showing himself up today re Hardwick, who apart from that late error, played better than most. Mr. Murphy you were completely out of order, and you should apologize to the lad.

It was completely obvious today that nothing is happening to improve the situation, and I wonder once again if G.M. is up to the job, although I believe he should have the opportunity to resolve our failings, next season.

A great deal will depend on who is incoming, I hope that whoever they are, we don't continue to coach as we have been doing.

That said, yes, today I feel gutted, and wondering how we ever allowed ourselves to decline to the lowest level possible.
I thought you didn't do doom and gloom :smt017
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 pm

let’s face it the Wallabies have never been renowned for setpiece have they?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Senior players letting team down.(Exempt Cole)
Lots of youth who need experience.
Over reliance on kicking and kicking poorly
Players who have one eye on their respective new clubs.
International players with over 89 caps unable to throw a ball straight.
A board and coaching staff who are not up to the job.
A fan/supporter base who are getting frustrated.
WHAT DID IT PRODUCE- A SORRY FULL,FRUSTRATING, WOE FULL,SHAMBLES OF A GAME WITH NO PLAN B
Appears we are focused solely on defence, kick away and hope for the best.
Ant Allen - we hope to get a knock on advantage or force a pen or inteseption - Says it all. :smt018 :smt018
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:13 am Senior players letting team down.(Exempt Cole)
Lots of youth who need experience.
Over reliance on kicking and kicking poorly
Players who have one eye on their respective new clubs.
International players with over 89 caps unable to throw a ball straight.
A board and coaching staff who are not up to the job.
A fan/supporter base who are getting frustrated.
WHAT DID IT PRODUCE- A SORRY FULL,FRUSTRATING, WOE FULL,SHAMBLES OF A GAME WITH NO PLAN B
Appears we are focused solely on defence, kick away and hope for the best.
Ant Allen - we hope to get a knock on advantage or force a pen or inteseption - Says it all. :smt018 :smt018
You aren't far off there, but the really concerning thing for me is that even accepted that the younger players lack experience there is just no oomph.
On the evidence so far it's possible that it gets worse than this.
Ollie Lawrence came on for Worcester and made ours look rubbish, he looked threatening, he was strong and pacey with awareness and skills, but importantly despite any inexperience he brought a youthful energy that you expect a youngster to bring and added something with it.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

How do we get out of our current predicament. Over the last 5 or so years we have gone from being the premier side in English rugby to relegation candidates. I can't think of many organisations where the senior management would survive that level of performance but then again perhaps rugby excellence isn't their primary objective. Perhaps it is just impossible with our funding model to remain competitive and we have to accept mid table.
I'm not cynical just experienced