The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2451
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by BFG » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm

BFG wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:51 pm
Scott1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:00 pm
I think the split will be
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 BR
2 SH
2 FH
4 centres
5 back 3

Slade to cover FH and a SH "holidaying" in Japan just in case! The 4th centre could be Loz,JJ or Devoto
We're getting carried away with World Cup fever now, and no-one has played a proper full back against England yet, or even attempted a proper breakdown job!
Still lots to find out before Japan in my opinion!
Don't mean to brag but... :smt038

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Give yourself a pat on the back! :smt023

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2414
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:51 am
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Chobbsy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:46 am

Dangerous4 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:43 pm
Oh dear, oh dear, poor old Scotland. Well beaten I'm afraid. :smt022
I never thought I would defend Scotland, but they are decimated with multiple injuries to key world class players, I think this six nations will go a long way to them having a good showing in the World Cup, if they manage to get all their players fit and to stay fit, I think they will shock some countries who will discount them becuase of their showing in this 6 Nations.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by mol2 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am

Englands selection and game plan was wrong.

Aimless kicking didn't help but persistently kicking away possession was little more than a way of getting tackling practice.

Laws should have been on the bench - sure he makes dynamic tackles but lacks the grunt to start as a lock, especially if your tight head is not a strong scrummager. His ability to cover back row and second row makes him an ideal bench player to come on when the opposition are flagging and the scrummaging power isn't essential. England should have started Launchbury in the absence of Itoje.
This also allows the bench to contain another out and out 8 be that Hughes or Morgan. The need for bullocking runs from your 8 were always going to be needed with Macko being injured. A case for starting Genge to give more ball carrying options.

The ball rarely got past 10 without being kicked which effectively tool Manu and Slade out of the game.

Should Brown have played? Out incumbent full back still looks inexperienced and indecisive under the high ball. Should Daly have been playing centre instead?

Tactics and selections all wrong and exposed by a smart Wales side who should have been put away.
Love to know what Eddie was really thinking.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by ellis9 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 am

mol2 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 am
Englands selection and game plan was wrong.

Aimless kicking didn't help but persistently kicking away possession was little more than a way of getting tackling practice.

Laws should have been on the bench - sure he makes dynamic tackles but lacks the grunt to start as a lock, especially if your tight head is not a strong scrummager. His ability to cover back row and second row makes him an ideal bench player to come on when the opposition are flagging and the scrummaging power isn't essential. England should have started Launchbury in the absence of Itoje.
This also allows the bench to contain another out and out 8 be that Hughes or Morgan. The need for bullocking runs from your 8 were always going to be needed with Macko being injured. A case for starting Genge to give more ball carrying options.

The ball rarely got past 10 without being kicked which effectively tool Manu and Slade out of the game.

Should Brown have played? Out incumbent full back still looks inexperienced and indecisive under the high ball. Should Daly have been playing centre instead?

Tactics and selections all wrong and exposed by a smart Wales side who should have been put away.
Love to know what Eddie was really thinking.
Farrell played at fly half. It says it all in regards to why the ball didn't get past 10.

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by JackFlashJonny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am

Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018

Same old England, match them physically and they have very little to offer :smt009

The thing is with two Vunipolas, Manu and Maro all playing matching them physically is almost impossible...had all these been on the pitch we could of seen a different result

The lack of attempting to change the game plan is what confused me, why was Farrell and Youngs still kicking if it was not working and why were Robson and Ford not brought on to change to a more attacking set up ball in hand :smt017

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 am

4 minutes of Genge too when Moon was done on the hour mark! Shields on the bench also when Billy's nowhere near vintage form. Lawes should've been a replacement too not starting. Why not setup for a dropgoal too before the break when it was on?

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:09 am

Not to restoke the flames but Gatland did make me laugh with his chokers tag referencing England when his Wales team have lost umpteen games against SH opposition by less than a score :smt005 their win % against SH opposition under him or Howley is utterly diabolical!

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Cardiff Tig » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018
But that's not true. Manu has shown on lots of occasions that he can play 12. He had a great game at 12 against Ireland. He played 12 on the 2013 Lions tour before an injury.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 am

Cardiff Tig wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am
JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018
But that's not true. Manu has shown on lots of occasions that he can play 12. He had a great game at 12 against Ireland. He played 12 on the 2013 Lions tour before an injury.
Manu to be fair is one of those rare players who can play either 12 or 13. For me Daly should be playing outside him at 13, where he plays for club.

Let Brown and Goode battle it out for the 15 shirt, in tight games we’ll need their strength under the high ball at the back.

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by JackFlashJonny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am

Cardiff Tig wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am
JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018
But that's not true. Manu has shown on lots of occasions that he can play 12. He had a great game at 12 against Ireland. He played 12 on the 2013 Lions tour before an injury.
It is not a case of whether you think it to be true it is an opinion...probably the same opinion of many seeing how little 12 he has played at all throughout his career compared to other centres who can easily shift to both

The fact you can only choose one game against Ireland (also France) and the fact he played a couple of times there on Lions provincial tour games speaks volumes :smt047

JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by JackFlashJonny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 am

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 am
Cardiff Tig wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am
JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018
But that's not true. Manu has shown on lots of occasions that he can play 12. He had a great game at 12 against Ireland. He played 12 on the 2013 Lions tour before an injury.
Manu to be fair is one of those rare players who can play either 12 or 13. For me Daly should be playing outside him at 13, where he plays for club.

Let Brown and Goode battle it out for the 15 shirt, in tight games we’ll need their strength under the high ball at the back.

Is this for real, he is one of those players that can't really which is why he never does? There are many centres such as Slade that can play 12/13 it is not rare at all but Manu has rarely donned 12 since he became a seasoned pro

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Scott1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Alex Goode? No thank you!!! Brilliant club player but terribly underpowered at the top level and quite frankly embarrassing defensively at times. Should've pursued a career at FH imo.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm
Alex Goode? No thank you!!! Brilliant club player but terribly underpowered at the top level and quite frankly embarrassing defensively at times. Should've pursued a career at FH imo.
Who else have we got who plays fullback in the premiership? Woodward? Watson?

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Cardiff Tig » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:57 am
Cardiff Tig wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am
JackFlashJonny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:59 am
Manu is not a 12...his break at the weekend was from the outside arc a la the 13 channel...there is no space for him to operate at 12 :smt018
But that's not true. Manu has shown on lots of occasions that he can play 12. He had a great game at 12 against Ireland. He played 12 on the 2013 Lions tour before an injury.
It is not a case of whether you think it to be true it is an opinion...probably the same opinion of many seeing how little 12 he has played at all throughout his career compared to other centres who can easily shift to both

The fact you can only choose one game against Ireland (also France) and the fact he played a couple of times there on Lions provincial tour games speaks volumes :smt047
That's because Leicester has always had 10s and 12s that suit Manu being at 13.

Rugby is not that complicated a game. Power centres like Manu, Nonu, Basteraud can all play 12 and 13 pretty much as and when (which is exactly what happens at Toulon) it all depends on the game plan and who is at 10 and 13. Similarly, the vast amount of 10s can play 12 - Wilkinson, Catt, Mauger, Flood, Farrell - although defence is normally the issue here stopping them.

Manu at 12 is perfectly legitimate. Manu at 12 and not giving him the ball is completely pointless!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests