LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:30 pm Ioane will stay in NZ, 24 Read is leaving NZ a leaves that number 8 spot open.

Hansen is leaving end of RWC anyway.
Ioane is not the only option, I know Luatua has stayed with Bristol but the All Blacks still have Ardie Savea and Luke Whitelock to fill that jersey, plus an up-and-coming Whetu Douglas.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Savea will have the 7 shirt after Hansen
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

SA Rugby have changed their overseas player policy again, we might struggle to sign players from there now.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am SA Rugby have changed their overseas player policy again, we might struggle to sign players from there now.
I wonder how that will affect Sale and Gloucester and Sarries?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am SA Rugby have changed their overseas player policy again, we might struggle to sign players from there now.
Why Sarries? They only really have Koch who has a chance of playing for SA.

The 30 cap selection is scrapped so
Kriel and Ackerman can be called up.

Outside that the only thing that might make SA players signing harder is money really.

Also the fact that SA rugby have said they will force clubs to release players for International duty makes them a little bit less value for money.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If I could sign two realistic super rugby players I would go with
lealiifano and Mataele (if he could be convinced about playing for Fiji rather than NZ I could see him leaving for a good amount of £)

Taufua has a very good game for today.

Also McCaffrey had a massive first half for the Bumrbies.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unfortunately, although Mcaffrey gave his all, for me he still wasn’t good enough. I saw that he complained about him getting released mid-contract on Twitter.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:22 am If I could sign two realistic super rugby players I would go with
lealiifano and Mataele (if he could be convinced about playing for Fiji rather than NZ I could see him leaving for a good amount of £)

Agreed RB.
How good was the All Blacks 3rd choice 2nd row Scott Barrett.
How about Jack Goodhue as Manu’s replacement, though he’s probably too near the ABs squad
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well obviously he complained.

Genge talked about how the club doesn’t show loyalty.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:22 am If I could sign two realistic super rugby players I would go with

Agreed RB.
How good was the All Blacks 3rd choice 2nd row Scott Barrett.
How about Jack Goodhue as Manu’s replacement, though he’s probably too near the ABs squad
Barrett will be first choice after the RWC IMO.
Goodbue is already pretty much the a starter near enough.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:17 am
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:13 am
Why Sarries? They only really have Koch who has a chance of playing for SA.

The 30 cap selection is scrapped so
Kriel and Ackerman can be called up.

Outside that the only thing that might make SA players signing harder is money really.

Also the fact that SA rugby have said they will force clubs to release players for International duty makes them a little bit less value for money.
Talking of South Africans any further news on the du Preez front RB? Or was that all just rumour and wild speculation?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My impression was they were always going to Sale TBH.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:55 am My impression was they were always going to Sale TBH.
Thanks RB.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Taufua was really good - showed a full house of skills with a good turnover, a good try, a good offload, and a good break from a nice support line.

Scott Barrett had another good game - he'd be worth a lot of money and rightly so. Ryan Crotty would I think be exactly the sort of player we need, although with him Reid/Taute we might be missing a Manu-type player. Also think he'd cost £1m and wouldn't come to us - but good to dream big.

Edit: also people have short memories about McCaffrey - he was one of the few players playing well and putting his all in when we were in a bad patch. He is the perfect person for the 20 shirt in my view when everyone is fit, and I think it's a real shame we're missing him.
Never believe generalisations
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BG01 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Taufua was really good - showed a full house of skills with a good turnover, a good try, a good offload, and a good break from a nice support line.

Scott Barrett had another good game - he'd be worth a lot of money and rightly so. Ryan Crotty would I think be exactly the sort of player we need, although with him Reid/Taute we might be missing a Manu-type player. Also think he'd cost £1m and wouldn't come to us - but good to dream big.

Edit: also people have short memories about McCaffrey - he was one of the few players playing well and putting his all in when we were in a bad patch. He is the perfect person for the 20 shirt in my view when everyone is fit, and I think it's a real shame we're missing him.
McCaffrey is a massive miss. In the wins against Munster he was integral. Surprisingly a strong ball carrier given his size and great all round player. Given O’Connor’s injury record he stood up and was counted. Almost wish he was still here over O’Connor.

Same with Bethan. Never understood why we let him go, especially being able to cover 13 and was a relegation in that position.