BEST FIFTEEN.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: BEST FIFTEEN.

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 pm Very sorry but I cannot see the point of this thread, here we are in 9th place, out of Europe, Manu possibly leaving, loads of possible signings, 6 Nations and all this thread is about selecting some fantasy "has been" team that cannot do anything to improve our situation. Surely at best, this is a thread for the closed season when there is nowt else to discuss?
Oh dear........the keep it on the island police are back..... :smt001 Perhaps some of us enjoyed a trip back down memory lane. A departure from "Sack Geordan" and "Manu is a traitor"?

Ho hum. I apologise for the fact that not every ounce of what I post is serious and in depth rugby conversation.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I thought it was a good thread...more gutted that I couldn’t get Loti or moody into my team...also some of the retro names were a blast from the past and a bit before my time, which showed the age spectrum of this forum. Love it!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think it’s really interesting too and good to see different peoples opinions. I also like to think how some of the older names mentioned would get on in today’s game. I went with:

Dusty Hare - Great under the high ball, prolific points scorer, but didn’t really have the prolific pace deemed necessary these days.
Rory Underwood - All pace and power ultimate try scoring machine, but can’t ever remember seeing him kick a ball, and think he would have struggled with a back 3 pendulum defence.
Clive Woodward - Side stepper supreme a magnificent silky runner, bit of a revolving door in defence
Peter Wheeler - I think he would do just fine. Typical old school forward, gent off the pitch, animal on it. Innovative with his line out throwing, good scrummager excellent in the loose. Should have captained the Lions but let’s not open that can of worms.
Dean Richards - A unanimous choice and rightly so. The last of the great corinthians, as strong as an Ox, and fantastic positional sense, reading of the game, which made up for his lack of pace. However training was something other people did, the legendary story of when he sent his England rowing machine back in the box, and you wouldn’t really call him dynamic.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:10 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 pm HARE/STIMPSON
EVANS
HOWARD
WOODWARD
R UNDERWOOD
CUSWORTH
HEALEY

ROWNTREE
COCKERS
WHITE / GARFORTH
JOHNSON
VAN HEERDEN
CORRY
BACK
RICHARDS

Barry Evans eh? He would be my second choice. He was quite a player, and oh boy, could he run. Loved the guy.
Ended Mike Slemens international career by burning him twice in the BaBas game.

A year younger than me though at different schools he was like lightening. Legend had it that in one school season around the age 14 he scored 100 trys
100 tries at 14. That was truly amazing. :smt023
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

A Pacific Island team which would be frightening to play against

1 Mulipola
2 Taukafa
3 Ma’afu
4 Mafi
5 Kalamafoni
6 Fonua
7 Mapapalangi
8 H Tuilagi
9 Serevi
10 Bai
11 Goneva
12 Andy Tuilagi
13 Rambeni
14 Alex Tuilagi
15 Veianu
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

physiodan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm A Pacific Island team which would be frightening to play against

1 Mulipola
2 Taukafa
3 Ma’afu
4 Mafi
5 Kalamafoni
6 Fonua
7 Mapapalangi
8 H Tuilagi
9 Serevi
10 Bai
11 Goneva
12 Andy Tuilagi
13 Rambeni
14 Alex Tuilagi
15 Veianu
That's an angle I had not considered!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Based on players I've actually see play (since the 06/07 season):

15. Geordan Murphy
14. Jonny May
13. Seru Rabeni
12. Anthony Allen
11. Alesana Tuilagi
10. Andy Goode
9. Harry Ellis
1. Marcos Ayerza
2. George Chuter
3. Julian White
4. Louis Deacon
5. Ben Kay
6. Tom Croft
7. Lewis Moody
8. Martin Corry

16. Ben Kayser
17. Boris Stankovich
18. Dan Cole
19. Geoff Parling
20. Craig Newby
21. Ben Youngs
22. Toby Flood
23. Manu Tuilagi
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Too much talent to pick from :smt022 Based on players I’ve seen from the late 90 onwards I’d go for.

15. Stimpson
14. Murphy
13. M Tuilagi
12. Howard
11. Underwood
10. Ford
9. Healey
1. Rowntree
2. West
3. Cole
4. Johnson
5. Kay
6. Croft
7. Back
8. Richards

16. Cockerill
17. Ayerza
18. Garforth
19. Corry
20. Moody
21. Youngs
22. Flood
23. Lloyd
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 33 times in total.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Stimson for that kick alone!
Rory underwood
Will.Greenwood
Pat howard
dave lougheed for his defensive smashes

Joel stransky
Harry Ellis

Castro
Cockers
Julian White
Jono
Ben Kay
Josh kronfeld
Neil back
Martin corry . Yes Dean was great but cozza won trophies
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

physiodan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm A Pacific Island team which would be frightening to play against

1 Mulipola
2 Taukafa
3 Ma’afu
4 Mafi
5 Kalamafoni
6 Fonua
7 Mapapalangi
8 H Tuilagi
9 Serevi
10 Bai
11 Goneva
12 Andy Tuilagi
13 Rambeni
14 Alex Tuilagi
15 Veianu
Good choices, I don't think I could better that.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 pm Very sorry but I cannot see the point of this thread, here we are in 9th place, out of Europe, Manu possibly leaving, loads of possible signings, 6 Nations and all this thread is about selecting some fantasy "has been" team that cannot do anything to improve our situation. Surely at best, this is a thread for the closed season when there is nowt else to discuss?

Oh dear, I sincerely apologise for trying to lighten the mood on here, as it appears to rile you. I shall endeavour the inflict the site with constant doom and gloom posts.

Oh, by the way, keep taking the tablets! :smt023 :smt005
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

And yet you’ve still got nothing better to do than not only read it, but actually take the trouble to comment on it.... :smt017
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm
Oh dear, I sincerely apologise for trying to lighten the mood on here, as it appears to rile you. I shall endeavour the inflict the site with constant doom and gloom posts.

Sorry Dangerous, it doesn't rile me, it just seems so inappropriate at this time in the season to be raising a subject like this, i'm surprised the mods have not moved it to say Welford Road Chit Chat where you can discuss it to your hearts content, there I might even offer my team. This forum, in my opinion, if that's OK with you, is for discussing the team and the results, signings to improve us etc,,,,,
Many thanks for reminding me to take my tablets :smt052
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Sorry Dangerous, it doesn't rile me, it just seems so inappropriate at this time in the season to be raising a subject like this, i'm surprised the mods have not moved it to say Welford Road Chit Chat where you can discuss it to your hearts content, there I might even offer my team. This forum, in my opinion, if that's OK with you, is for discussing the team and the results, signings to improve us etc,,,,,
Many thanks for reminding me to take my tablets :smt052
Oh dear..........
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There are that many good players that I just couldn't settle on a best fifteen.
I had three players for every position, and not one player from the current squad.
I considered Cole at his peak and it would be close but it's Castro, White and Garforth!