Manu to Racing 92? No! - Re-signed for Tigers!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu to Racing 92?

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

After reading that and the fact the England management and players are ribbing him about France then it’s probably a done deal. They probably already know but a clause will prevent it coming out just yet...good luck to him and his family. Short career and long life, he needs to make the most of it financially whilst at the peak of his earning potential. We now need to look to the future (which I have no doubts we are) as this will clearly be no surprise to the club. Hopefully one of these star players Murphy has lined up is a replacement for Manu. We may need one.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,that confirms it for me too sadly!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am Yes,that confirms it for me too sadly!
Am I missing something? That article confirms Tuilagi's departure?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The-read between-lines
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Really doesn't confirm it unless you are looking for it to confirm it though.

Will Manu go? Most likely, has he gone yet? no.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 am Really doesn't confirm it unless you are looking for it to confirm it though.

Will Manu go? Most likely, has he gone yet? no.
Completely agree. Nothing that we didn't already know.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47330384
Things just got a little more muddy...
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Think of it as .... If He's gone then we move on .
If he's not going....its only a matter of when he might go
If he's happy here at Tigers , whats it going to cost us
If he stays how many games will he play in our shirt per season/ world cup/6n/?injuries.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47330384
That’s good news right?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

I hope this comes out. I'm no expert on copying this stuff, but this is an article in today's Telegraph Sport.

The journo seems pretty confident, but when have the press let facts get in the way of a story? The comment '...but Leicester appear to be resigned...' is interesting. I wonder what the source was for that?

Initially my thought was 'greedy little Judas', after Tigers had stuck by him but then I thought a bit more about 'loyalty'. With Manu, Tigers were, if you want to be cynical, protecting their interests.

As for sustaining loyalty from the club... Ed Slater, et al?

Club loyalty is a defunct concept. Players & coaches in rugby union are now traded as they are in Association Football. I don't like it, I don't like what Manu is allegedly doing, but it's the modern world.

https://digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk/ ... GCTPVKXNOA
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 am
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:31 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47330384
That’s good news right?
Yeah I guess so. Think it means it’s not signed, sealed and delivered...however, I have a feeling it is. Just my opinion. Possibly the clubs keeping it under wraps until after the 6n’s.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:32 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 am
That’s good news right?
Yeah I guess so. Think it means it’s not signed, sealed and delivered...however, I have a feeling it is. Just my opinion. Possibly the clubs keeping it under wraps until after the 6n’s.
Or Freddie is trying to see if there is any more money on the table.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

One factor that hasn't been discussed much is Manu's international aspirations. He has always stated that he has aspirations to play for England and under the current approach a move to France would draw his England career to a (temporary?) close.

However if the thinking changes after the World Cup and England decide to pick overseas based players....
Or if he signed a 3 year deal with Racing 92 at 30 he would still be young enough to play for England again so could do the same as Chris Ashton.....
Or maybe what's on offer at Racing 92 is enough for him to turn his back on England.....

He has 29 England caps. Assuming he stays fit and is selected for the rest of the 6 nations and the World Cup and allowing for a couple of warm up matches the most caps he could reach is 41. That seems a relatively small number for an athlete of his ability.

If money is the main motivation then working on £25k England match fees and assuming 5 x 6 nations appearances plus 4 autumn internationals plus eg a couple more games on a summer tour that's £275k per season. it has been rumoured that he earns £450k per year at Tigers which takes him to £725k. However if he is injured or not selected then all or some of that £275k England money would disappear. However if Racing 92 pay him the rumoured £700k per season he still gets that whether he plays for England or not. So being paid more for less matches might be very appealing given Manu's potential for getting injured.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Remember what happened to Paul O’Connell? Left Munster then got crocked so deal to join Toulon fell through and he had to retire. If Manu’s holding out till after the World Cup then that’s a huge risk given his injury record.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As I have said many times before I think Manu is a great player and good bloke.
If he goes it won’t be the” end of the world” for Tigers as sometimes in games the supporters and players expect him to perform miracles. Great player but nowhere near as influential as Pat Howard; he has never really been replaced as a player or coach.
On the other hand, Manu just might look at what has happened to Finn Russell, and Manu might not fit into the French culture. Yes, money is a factor, but family happiness is too! I think Freddie also needs to consider this and Tigers may not, in future, consider investing in the other two Tuilagis!!
Whatever happens Tigers’ priority is to secure points to avoid an end of season relegation fight- Tuilagi’s situation really does pale into significance compared to Tigers’ future in the top competitions.
Good luck Manu whatever you decide. First help England to a Grand Slam then return to get Tigers out of trouble!