The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by WildGoose »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm I think it's all academic now anyway. With only having a 31 man squad,the way Eddie has approached this 6N and the brilliant emergence of Wilson it tells me that we are going to Japan with 6 props and 5 BR (which is what I would do anyway) so bar injuries it's a shootout between Shields and Hughes for the last spot alongside Billy,Curry,Underhill and Wilson. Eddie could gamble and drop a prop and play Cole at LH with the mixed veg but that's a huge risk. But we have some great options for 2023!
I think Underhill might be the one to miss out (partly because I doubt he'll be fit) but you're right, the presence of Lawes and Itoje in the lock cohort (along with Launchbury and Kruis) suggests we can cover the back row with them so only 5 needed (19 forwards - assume a third hooker is vital too?)

I think the equation in the back line is more complicated to pick out with probably only 12 backs to play with.

I'd have assumed Youngs, Farrell, Slade, Manu, May, Daly and then Ford, plus Nowell, probably Te'o (EJ would, I wouldn't!) and a spare SH (Robson/Care?) only gives you 2 spaces, and only 2 scrum halves is a risk.

Try and pick two from Ashton, Brown, Cokanasiga, Joseph, Thorley and Watson, not to mention the SH debate (presume Care vs Wigglesworth). It's not easy!

Personally I'd leave out Te'o for Cokanasiga as cover for Manu (not positionally exactly but for a different dimension), and then add Joseph and Watson - Youngs, Robson, Farrell, Ford, Slade, Tuilagi, Joseph, May, Nowell, Watson, Daly, Cokanasiga, though JJ first man to miss out for a third 9.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think the split will be
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 BR
2 SH
2 FH
4 centres
5 back 3

Slade to cover FH and a SH "holidaying" in Japan just in case! The 4th centre could be Loz,JJ or Devoto
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

A big decision for me is if he just takes 3 centres (Teo,Manu,Slade) with Owen 12 cover and Daly 13 cover and he takes another SH. I would be more comfortable with 4 centres though.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:44 pm What's with the booing at Murrayfield every time Ireland get a penalty or conversion? Have I missed something or do they always do that?
'Respecting the Kicker' isn't a favourite pastime for them!
Murrayfield usually has a kind of general background susurration during kicks as the folk who only attend for internationals rustle their Werthers and ask Farquar how young Torquil is getting on at Fettes.

The boos tend to come when it's someone who takes a long time with their kicks - it'l usually start with a 'get on with it :censored:' and descend from there. Sexton always gets it because he takes ages.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:00 pm I think the split will be
6 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 BR
2 SH
2 FH
4 centres
5 back 3

Slade to cover FH and a SH "holidaying" in Japan just in case! The 4th centre could be Loz,JJ or Devoto
We're getting carried away with World Cup fever now, and no-one has played a proper full back against England yet, or even attempted a proper breakdown job!
Still lots to find out before Japan in my opinion!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

What do people reckon the changes will be for the Welsh game?

Nowell to return to the starting XV with Itoje, Shields and Cokanasiga to come onto the bench. Shields for me offers much more than Hughes who has been a bit lacklustre.

Also wouldn’t mind seeing Ben Curry maybe in the 7 shirt for Italy, he has been good for Sale and the U20s.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DingDong wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:35 pm
4071 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Pen try and Sink not going to the bin for being silly.
Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!
If Sinckler had got a yellow card for a tap on the head, I'd have gone berserk!!

That was never a yellow card!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!
If Sinckler had got a yellow card for a tap on the head, I'd have gone berserk!!

Didn't Sinckler say something on the lines of "he hit me first"? There might be a lecture for young Kyle about getting your shots away when the officials can't spot them.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Yes, for those who like the technical side, here's Jonny May's heat map for the first half:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... irst_half/
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

h's dad wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm A truly great showing from England yesterday, especially in the first half. A brilliant performance from J.M., who ran riot around the French defenders throughout the match. :smt023
Yes, for those who like the technical side, here's Jonny May's heat map for the first half:

You can't help but think that maybe the Government has sent the wrong May to negotiate with the French!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Six Nations 2019u

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 am
h's dad wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am

You can't help but think that maybe the Government has sent the wrong May to negotiate with the French!
:smt038
As Good As It Gets
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm

My comment exactly, but it wasn't even decent handbags. Owens dealt with it exactly and sufficiently, not a million miles away from real rugby reffing ("handbags, ladies, get over yourselves" etc).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Agree totally that it wasn’t a yellow card, but wasn’t there a directive bought in a few seasons ago about pulling other players head guards.
That was what kicked it all off between Haskell and Marler a couple of seasons back and going back even further Ayerza and Marler
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am Agree totally that it wasn’t a yellow card, but wasn’t there a directive bought in a few seasons ago about pulling other players head guards.
That was what kicked it all off between Haskell and Marler a couple of seasons back and going back even further Ayerza and Marler
I thought that also, the hit on the head deserved a penalty, but another ref would have shown the yellow card for the head guard pull as per directive, thanks Nigel !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too