The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Brutus »

I think the captaincy should be given to Farrell full time now, as Hartley would struggle to get back in this team. Nothing against Hartley, he contributed well to Jones’s initial success although I always preferred OTY at 2 for England.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:19 pm Rub of the green in what sense?
For me it wasn't a penalty try (yellow card was correct though) as Ashton has overrun/missed the ball and was unlikely to be able to score, Farrell's try could easily have been dissallowed for May pulling back the French player, Sinckler should have gone for a 10 minute cool down.

drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm Nathan Hughes does not seem to make the impact I'd expect of him.
Hughes has never impressed me at international level
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

A public telling off for Sinckler was fine and I didn't think that it deserved a yellow card, it's just unfortunate that he has all the persona of a grumpy dwarf, Hi-Ho!
May's coming together with the French player for Farrell's try was just a coming together on the floor and you see more holding go unpunished at every tackle and ruck, it might've been a little bit cute but the French were that gullible that it was easy pickings.
Not sure about the penalty try against France, it looked a bit harsh as Ashton did seem to overrun the ball but had the French player concentrated on playing the ball instead with a bit of commitment then it's more likely none of that incident would've unfolded anyway in my opinion.
France were poor, and what was with the Captain who seemed to find that they were losing so badly something to smile about throughout the entire match!
Farrell was excellent in my opinion but I did think that England lost a lot of their shape when he went to 12.
Curry played right on the edge at the breakdown which I thought was an important factor in often stopping France getting decent enough ball.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The physicality and unrelenting line-speed of England's 'clutch' defence might be the reason Eddie Jones was so pleased with the second half...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/mitchell ... or-england
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Correct BFG can we put this Ford v Farrell at 10 argument to bed once and for all please! Farrell everyday and twice on a Sunday!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:58 am Correct BFG can we put this Ford v Farrell at 10 argument to bed once and for all please! Farrell everyday and twice on a Sunday!

Where did BFG say it should be Farrell at 10 instead of Ford? He just said we lost our way with Farrell at 12.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm Simmonds no,too underpowered at this level! Clifford too much of a luxury player too,with Wilson being able to play across the BR I'd have Shields if a change is made.
In what way is Clifford a luxury player?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Don't think he's physical enough and goes missing too. He's bad enough for Quins,most of my Quins mates wouldn't have him in their best backrow. They'd far prefer Chisholm. Theres a player in there though,maybe injuries have curtailed his rise,let's see. Out of the 3 with potential Simmonds,Clifford,Mercer I'd go Mercer but that's just my imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

loretta wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:53 pm All good points and good reasons to have doubts, but within the laws of the game would Owens be within his rights to change his mind once the penalty try was given?
Yes. No conversion had been taken. He's allowed to review the decision.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 pm Don't think he's physical enough and goes missing too. He's bad enough for Quins,most of my Quins mates wouldn't have him in their best backrow. They'd far prefer Chisholm. Theres a player in there though,maybe injuries have curtailed his rise,let's see. Out of the 3 with potential Simmonds,Clifford,Mercer I'd go Mercer but that's just my imo.
I'd go with Mercer, too, but Clifford is a very good player. Covers the whole back row, and he's far more powerful than you give him credit for. Moreso than Mercer, I think (though Mercer is deceptively strong). He does all the nuts and bolts and has no major flaws in his game that you'd expect from a luxury player. If anything, my problem with his is that he has no exceptional skills - he's good at everything, but not brilliant at anything. You could replace him with a Jackson Wray or - a few years ago - a Mark Wilson.

Perhaps is a question of how you define a luxury player.

Also, it may be down to me not watching enough of him recently. I've not seen as much club rugby this season as usual.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

HantsTiger wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Pen try and Sink not going to the bin for being silly.
Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think it's all academic now anyway. With only having a 31 man squad,the way Eddie has approached this 6N and the brilliant emergence of Wilson it tells me that we are going to Japan with 6 props and 5 BR (which is what I would do anyway) so bar injuries it's a shootout between Shields and Hughes for the last spot alongside Billy,Curry,Underhill and Wilson. Eddie could gamble and drop a prop and play Cole at LH with the mixed veg but that's a huge risk. But we have some great options for 2023!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

The French press are suggesting that Coach Brunel goes back to "bridge building & railways!"
Just as long as he does not try to bridge the Channel. :smt002
A brilliant performance from the Tigers and the whole team. I cannot see Holmes v May in Cardiff.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No it will be North,Evans,Williams
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

4071 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Pen try and Sink not going to the bin for being silly.
Sinckler's incident was never a yellow card. The only time that would be carded is in a bad-tempered match where the ref needed to get back some control and discipline.

I think we got lucky on the penalty try, mind. It was a penalty and almost certainly a card, but didn't look like a penalty try to me.
If ever there was a great example of how a captain should manage the ref and his own petulant player then that was one of them. Brilliant by Owens and equally brilliant by Faz. Sinckler was indeed lucky!