Catering & Bar Feedback Seasons 2017,2018 & 2019/20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by ourla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Dangerous4 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 pm
I guess you get what you pay for.
Err, that's the problem, people often don't. There is nothing salubrious about the Final Whistle. The range of drinks is limited. The throughput and peaks/troughs of custom is known. They charge more than pubs. And yet....
Dangerous4 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:18 pm
To find a better caterer would no doubt cost more, and that increase would mean that prices would go up, which I feel sure would not go down well with customers.
As opposed to now, when customers are delighted... not..!
You're either in or you're out

anz3001
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by anz3001 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am

Costs don’t have to go up if efficiency is improved.
I’m certain I’m not the only one that often doesn’t bother just because of how much effort it takes (and a very real risk of missing the restart if you go at halftime)

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by ourla » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:14 am

Just heard on the Talking Tigers podcast that Cohen and the board recognise that things aren't as good as they could be. This is nothing new. However, the current 10 year contract runs out this year and the current suppliers (under new ownership) and others are under consideration going forward and a decision will be made in the next few weeks.
You're either in or you're out

cheltexile
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Cheltenham

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by cheltexile » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 pm

ourla wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:14 am
Just heard on the Talking Tigers podcast that Cohen and the board recognise that things aren't as good as they could be. This is nothing new. However, the current 10 year contract runs out this year and the current suppliers (under new ownership) and others are under consideration going forward and a decision will be made in the next few weeks.
To me it sounded like he was teeing up the existing lot to stay on by dressing it up as 'new ownership, new me'. :smt009

Rosco
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by Rosco » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am

Having made the trip to watch the game last night, debating about season ticket ownership for next year. Unacceptably long queues to both drinks and toilet facilities in the crumbie stand side of the ground and another disastrous performance in the pitch quickly killed that idea!

AngusMcCoatup
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 9:37 am
Location: Coates.

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by AngusMcCoatup » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Rosco wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Having made the trip to watch the game last night, debating about season ticket ownership for next year. Unacceptably long queues to both drinks and toilet facilities in the crumbie stand side of the ground and another disastrous performance in the pitch quickly killed that idea!
Yes the service in the ABC, Crumbie Bar &Lounge was terrible last night the bar staff have few ideas and as for the "Blonde lady in a black trouser suit" well if it's fairy liquid looking beer& bad service she is the expert. no it cannot be fixed with your radio it's a beer engine not a hifi!
The Supporters forum do not appear interested either, worse than Buckie Thistle on a Sunday... Ugh##
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by johnthegriff » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am

The Supporters Forum certainly are interested, we are fans experiencing the same awful service as everybody else. This subject has been talked to death at meetings with no conclusion reached. Te simple facts are that in order to raise funds for the Caterpillar (now Holland & Barrett) stand the club entered into a 10 year agreement. We all know that at ordinary fan level the results have not been satisfactory, the caterers have tried to do something about it introducing various layers of management but nothing has worked. The simple fact is that the labour source for a few hours on a Saturday or a Friday or a Sunday about seventeen times a year is inexperienced students who are unreliable, training is ineffective as they do not necessarily turn up next time.
I can assure you that the club are taking the matter seriously, there are plans for the future and they may work but I am not holding my breath as the main labour source remains the same however all the club can do is try to improve from the low that we have experienced over the last ten years. Things can only get better as they can hardly get worse!

leicesterstig
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by leicesterstig » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:45 am

Bad as things were on the pitch at our last home match against Saints, the worst performance by far was by the staff in the Drogolites bar! I stopped drinking in the ground a few years ago - a combination of poor quality beer, high prices and poor service but last week I had been for a meal prior to the match and thought I would take a drink in with me, after waiting for 10 minutes in a short queue that did not seem to be moving I gave up and went to my seat.
At half time I really was in need of a drink so went down to the same bar and again waited while a woefully inefficient team of three totally incompetent bar staff struggled to cope with the demands of others with the same idea as myself! After a 10 minute wait a young lady (supervisor?) joined the team and frantically did her best to serve the increasingly restless thirsty supporters, when I pointed out that I had paid to watch a rugby match not wait in a queue she couldn't stop apologising and indeed I was served a few minutes later.
If Tigers were running a City centre bar on match days they would soon find themselves with no customers but having a captive audience means their income is to some extent guaranteed. I realise that many supporters are ordering 2 pint containers and this takes longer to fill but then again what is wrong in pre-filling jugs and serving from these as we did in the "old days".
Our hospitality seems to reflect our on field efforts....

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by ourla » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm

The club can claim to take the matter seriously and can claim that their hands are tied contractually and people can claim the situation is unavoidable given it's nature but I don't buy any of it (figuratively and literally). It's been poor for years and is still poor.
You're either in or you're out

Northenlad
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:39 pm
Location: Countesthorpe

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by Northenlad » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am
The Supporters Forum certainly are interested, we are fans experiencing the same awful service as everybody else. This subject has been talked to death at meetings with no conclusion reached. Te simple facts are that in order to raise funds for the Caterpillar (now Holland & Barrett) stand the club entered into a 10 year agreement. We all know that at ordinary fan level the results have not been satisfactory, the caterers have tried to do something about it introducing various layers of management but nothing has worked. The simple fact is that the labour source for a few hours on a Saturday or a Friday or a Sunday about seventeen times a year is inexperienced students who are unreliable, training is ineffective as they do not necessarily turn up next time.
I can assure you that the club are taking the matter seriously, there are plans for the future and they may work but I am not holding my breath as the main labour source remains the same however all the club can do is try to improve from the low that we have experienced over the last ten years. Things can only get better as they can hardly get worse!
100% agree John
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Location: "The Home of the Game!"

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by wormus » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:22 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:00 am
The Supporters Forum certainly are interested, we are fans experiencing the same awful service as everybody else. This subject has been talked to death at meetings with no conclusion reached. Te simple facts are that in order to raise funds for the Caterpillar (now Holland & Barrett) stand the club entered into a 10 year agreement. We all know that at ordinary fan level the results have not been satisfactory, the caterers have tried to do something about it introducing various layers of management but nothing has worked. The simple fact is that the labour source for a few hours on a Saturday or a Friday or a Sunday about seventeen times a year is inexperienced students who are unreliable, training is ineffective as they do not necessarily turn up next time.
I can assure you that the club are taking the matter seriously, there are plans for the future and they may work but I am not holding my breath as the main labour source remains the same however all the club can do is try to improve from the low that we have experienced over the last ten years. Things can only get better as they can hardly get worse!
Hi John, I originated this thread back in 2016 and yes there have been some technological improvements but I do whole heartedly agree with you that the core fact is the casual labour but given a good bar supervisor in each bar this would at least prevent "fairy liquid" ale but possibly not the difference between cider & lager?
I hope that next season in the Premiership brings the improvements that the Supporters Forum and the fans require, thanks.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by LE18 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

We went into the ABC bar after the last game, the room was full with tables and chairs, supporters were stopping!
After, we called into the Droglites, Greg Bateman and Adam Thompstone were in there and, if you were lucky, you got a token for a free pint of beer. :smt001
Speaking with Steve Kenny, he explained that there would be new caterers next season, not just a name change. The shutters would no longer be slammed down and the ABC and Droglites would remain open until the customers left, not thrown out as has been the case in order for the staff to go home!
Progress? :smt045

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2976
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by ourla » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 pm

LE18 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm
We went into the ABC bar after the last game, the room was full with tables and chairs, supporters were stopping!
After, we called into the Droglites, Greg Bateman and Adam Thompstone were in there and, if you were lucky, you got a token for a free pint of beer. :smt001
Speaking with Steve Kenny, he explained that there would be new caterers next season, not just a name change. The shutters would no longer be slammed down and the ABC and Droglites would remain open until the customers left, not thrown out as has been the case in order for the staff to go home!
Progress? :smt045
Believe it when I see it.
You're either in or you're out

Soggypitch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1967
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by Soggypitch » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 am

The Speed bar in the old Captains Bar was the only one that pre poured pints and served the punters quickly.

It's not rocket science to do the same in the main stadium bars, it's pretty obvious when the busy times occur!!!!

As for training of the staff........it seems to be none existent, but in reality it just needs someone with an ounce of cocum and some get up and go, again it's not rocket science to be a good barman/maid, but it does require a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard at the busy periods.

I'm with Ourla, there's no excuse, it's just poor management.
Soggypitch

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Toulouse

Re: Catering & Bar Feedback Season 2017/18 & 2018/2019

Post by Robespierre » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:51 pm

So what is the beer like now? I understand that Everards are now having their beer brewed at Robinsons in Stockport until the new Brewery in Fosse Park(?) is up and running.
Semper in excreta

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DaveRave, Flash, happywomble and 2 guests