LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by loretta »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am Begs the question what is really happening at Wasps
A lot of those who are leaving seems to be upset with the training facilities - the new facilities are some way off and have not yet received planning permission.
[/quote]

This is true, Cov rugby have better facilities than Wasps.
Also, wasn't there also an issue with the players getting the money for intellectual rights?

PS, found it.
"The primary gripes among players and coaching staff relate to inadequate training facilities and the backlog in image-rights payments, which are thought to account for about 15 per cent of overall salaries."

From
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... mises.html

Anyway, long may it continue.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 am I would be really shocked if Manu and Veainu weren’t in Tigers shirts next season. They both seemed settled at the club and are on good wages!
The common thought is that Manu salary will fall as he was on marquee salary. The fact that he is now back in the England squad at £20k a match will more than offset that.
If he goes I think it would be to France but the fact that he has a young family May make that less attractive.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

And, of course, he may then not get his £20K per England match
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

the fact Tom V has moved back from France as his family didn't settle could have an influence too..
cheers
Rich
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I can see Manu moving to France, but not to another English club.

The lack of news either way is strange...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

This was raised at the supporters forum and smurf said that they were still negotiating with Manu but tigers could not compete with the French clubs
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Manu will stay,won't he?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:41 pm This was raised at the supporters forum and smurf said that they were still negotiating with Manu but tigers could not compete with the French clubs
Basically we're trying to get him on reduced terms, and rightfully so. NO marquee player should be from the current England contingent IMO. 20K per match +the benefits it brings. Marquee signings should be for international talent from SA, NZ etc who are subsequently available all season, such as De Klerk, Fekitoa and Piatau etc.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiger93 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:14 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:41 pm This was raised at the supporters forum and smurf said that they were still negotiating with Manu but tigers could not compete with the French clubs
Basically we're trying to get him on reduced terms, and rightfully so. NO marquee player should be from the current England contingent IMO. 20K per match +the benefits it brings. Marquee signings should be for international talent from SA, NZ etc who are subsequently available all season, such as De Klerk, Fekitoa and Piatau etc.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see him sign for Toulon after the World Cup. Nonu and Basteraud aren’t getting any younger, I think I read Basteraud is going to play in South Africa, at least one of his brothers has played there, and there are plenty of players of south sea island heritage to help him gel.
You mention De Klerk not sure which one you mean, but the one at Sale has a release clause saying he can play for South Africa when he is required
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 pm Manu will stay,won't he?!
My money is on Racing
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

But doesn't one marquee player have to have been at the club for at least a season?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm
But doesn't one marquee player have to have been at the club for at least a season?
I’m not sure on that RB maybe Ford is going to take on that mantle
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I disagree, as in my opinion that is penalising English players for being proper good players.
It's also not as if these overseas players are guaranteed performers or iron men that never get injured.
Manu is a class apart.
Even fitness shouldn't be an issue, when he is signed off as being fit to play and is successfully doing so which he is, and much wiser than ever before.
An alternative option is that Saracens are allowed to poach him, they do know a class player!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

You don't win the premiership in the AI or 6 Nations periods - you win it by having the best players in the play offs. Saracens and Exeter have built success on a stream of England internationals coming through over time. Having these players in your squad in the games that matters wins games - and having the best players for youth to play with and learn from and improve around builds squad longevity over time.

The above is absolutely true of our best periods - the odd foreign super star here and there - but there's no reason your highest paid player shouldn't be a tier 1 England international* just for some fetishisation of players that are available "all the time". If we were to win the play offs no one would even remember if we lost every game during the AIs or 6 Nations periods - though Oddly enough when you bear in mind the above you don't see Exeter or Saracens dropping many of those games either.

*this is before you even factor in the market value of these players as business assets.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

God forbid that Manu is poached by Sarries. I would be livid!