LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm From Smurf on LTTV: "The fans can be assured that we have signed - and are in the process of signing - some big names!"
Ooooo you are a tease!!
As Good As It Gets
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It is certainly a grand feeling that most of our youngsters seem to have re-signed for us.
They all have great potential at this moment in time, and patience for most of them could well be rewarded.

No epic signings mentioned yet, so if we are likewise patient, we could well have some more to smile about before too long.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s great that these youngsters have re-signed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FredKite

Post by FredKite »

Post by jgriffin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm
I, for one, am well chuffed with all these U20s contracts. You add Heyes, Grahamslaw, Kerr and Reffell and that's 9 1st team squad for the future. Ryan O to return after 7s and some crackers coming through...... move Heaven to keep Genge and things are looking brilliant.

Excellent news today. The future is home grown talent.
We are going nowhere until we have a solid, steady stream of Academy developed players vying for, and holding down places in the match day 23. Hopefully todays news is perhaps a sign that Tigers recognise that returning to be challengers for the Championship Title we must have a significant and solid core of our own developed players. Beyond those re-signing today there is solid evidence that there is further potential to follow, currently in the 18 to 20 age bracket.
It is certain that some of those re-signed today won't make the necessary grade and anyone thinking they will suddenly turn into match winning internationals overnight/next season (though I sincerely hope they all will) needs to take a reality check, I think supporters patience is in for a testing but also an increasingly optimistic 24 months.
The value of having a significant core group of players coming through the Tigers system will hopefully make the Salary Cap far more interesting to manage. Frankly I think the re-signings today are more encouraging and exciting than all the talk of some the potential 'bought' in players we may or may not sign for next season. Don't get me wrong we need to bring in some new/fresh talent but it is of little use if we aren't developing a hard core of our own talent to underpin it, because without home grown talent the Salary Cap isn't big enough to produce a Championship winning side (well not legitimately).
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=FredKite post_id=708537 time=1549389962 user_id=11042]
Post by jgriffin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm
I, for one, am well chuffed with all these U20s contracts. You add Heyes, Grahamslaw, Kerr and Reffell and that's 9 1st team squad for the future. Ryan O to return after 7s and some crackers coming through...... move Heaven to keep Genge and things are looking brilliant.

Excellent news today. The future is home grown talent.
We are going nowhere until we have a solid, steady stream of Academy developed players vying for, and holding down places in the match day 23. Hopefully todays news is perhaps a sign that Tigers recognise that returning to be challengers for the Championship Title we must have a significant and solid core of our own developed players. Beyond those re-signing today there is solid evidence that there is further potential to follow, currently in the 18 to 20 age bracket.
It is certain that some of those re-signed today won't make the necessary grade and anyone thinking they will suddenly turn into match winning internationals overnight/next season (though I sincerely hope they all will) needs to take a reality check, I think supporters patience is in for a testing but also an increasingly optimistic 24 months.
The value of having a significant core group of players coming through the Tigers system will hopefully make the Salary Cap far more interesting to manage. Frankly I think the re-signings today are more encouraging and exciting than all the talk of some the potential 'bought' in players we may or may not sign for next season. Don't get me wrong we need to bring in some new/fresh talent but it is of little use if we aren't developing a hard core of our own talent to underpin it, because without home grown talent the Salary Cap isn't big enough to produce a Championship winning side (well not legitimately).
[/quote]

Spot on!
Under the Salary Cap rules, clubs are encouraged to produce Home Grown Players by having up to £600,000 credit.
Just as importantly, bringing these players through helps develop the togetherness and club culture, which arguably has been lacking a little in recent times.
Throw in some quality signings, hopefully with some strong leadership character, and a stable, well resourced coaching team, and things might be looking up.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:48 pm From Smurf on LTTV: "The fans can be assured that we have signed - and are in the process of signing - some big names!"
Ooooo you are a tease!!
Calum Green
Noel Reid
Jaco Taute
Jordan Taufua
Charlie Walker

Those would be a very good start.

Manu, Heyes and Reffell would be nice parts of the next popcorn day as well.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Denton....that must have been one hell of a concussion. He’s been out for ages.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 pm
Ooooo you are a tease!!
Calum Green
Noel Reid
Jaco Taute
Jordan Taufua
Charlie Walker

Of all of those I would only that Taufua is anywhere a big name
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Ooooo you are a tease!!
Calum Green
Noel Reid
Jaco Taute
Jordan Taufua
Charlie Walker

Of all of those I would only that Taufua is anywhere a big name
I would go as far and say that none of the above mentioned are big names. Granted they are all good players, but not big rugby names. Especially considering the likes of who other premiership clubs are signings.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Am I the only one not wanting big names? Good players, yes. Players we spend a vast amount of cap on, who are away for chunks of season, who have achieved their peaks already. Our last few big name signings haven't really worked that well, and look at Toulon! I'd far prefer some proper scouting to be put in to find the future big names, a TV, or a De Klerk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

northerntiger wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm Am I the only one not wanting big names? Good players, yes. Players we spend a vast amount of cap on, who are away for chunks of season, who have achieved their peaks already. Our last few big name signings haven't really worked that well, and look at Toulon! I'd far prefer some proper scouting to be put in to find the future big names, a TV, or a De Klerk
Wouldn’t disagree just responding to what Smurf said. If all of those players come I would be delighted
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Do we have a good scouting team, or are players just selected by name and position? There must surely be some overseas youngsters out there, or is there a ruling that we cannot approach them when their contracts run out?
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Our scouting team seems to the average supporter, in the last ten years, to have been from the dark ages/ another planet.

Abysmal quality, frequently permantely wounded.
Tell us a club at our standard who has got it worse....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Off the top of my head in the last 10 years we have had what
Genge
Kerr
Mafi
Matera
Hamilton
Williams
Agulla
Holmes
Goneva
Scully
Veainu
Who where pretty much unknown on the whole with at most a couple caps for a tier 2 nation that proved to be excellent signings.

Bet you would be hard pushed to find teams that have uncovered more rough diamonds than those.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

If Brodie Rettalick has confirmed on Instagram he won’t be joining Sale, then........................?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives