Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben youngs

Post by Big Dai »

BFG wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 am
MikeR wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Clearly there is a problem . Youngs played at much greater pace today compared with the slow lackadaisical performances we see at Leicester week after week . Could it be that Eddie Jones has told him to quicken up his game or Dan Robson will be taking his place ? Geordan needs to read the Riot Act - Ben's Tigers performance have been routinely dreadful .
Agree with this, nothing like serious competition for places as motivation.
Care was not serious competition as a starter due to the structure of international rugby in my opinion.
Robson is an all rounder.
Yesterday was the best performance I've seen from Youngs, still a couple of nearly dithering moments but no-one is perfect and he managed to rescue those.
As for the idea that the difference was the quality of ball that the England forwards delivered, yesterday was about as tough as it gets at the breakdown and some ball was good but often the ball required digging out.
Yesterday was a proper competitive match with no luxury arm chair ride for anyone, that it might've been so is a complete myth in my opinion.
I think one of those "dithering moments" was when he realised sir was his most viable pass!!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:33 pm And he was playing off front foot ball and a dominant pack.

We (Tigers) lose collisions, lose the break down and most of our key line outs are shoddy even if we win them so our scrum halves are fighting a battle just to secure ball before thinking what needs to happen next.

Infuriatingly, YBY does tend to wave his arms around at times rather than burrowing in to secure said poor quality ball so does get me shouting at times.

We are improving so I think he’ll start to look better for Tigers as the game plan develops and pack dominance builds (hopefully)
"Wave his arms around" - no he doesn't.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 pm
MikeR wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Clearly there is a problem . Youngs played at much greater pace today compared with the slow lackadaisical performances we see at Leicester week after week . Could it be that Eddie Jones has told him to quicken up his game or Dan Robson will be taking his place ? Geordan needs to read the Riot Act - Ben's Tigers performance have been routinely dreadful .
Care was not serious competition as a starter due to the structure of international rugby in my opinion.
Yesterday was the best performance I've seen from Youngs, still a couple of nearly dithering moments but no-one is perfect and he managed to rescue those.
As for the idea that the difference was the quality of ball that the England forwards delivered, yesterday was about as tough as it gets at the breakdown and some ball was good but often the ball required digging out.
Yesterday was a proper competitive match with no luxury arm chair ride for anyone, that it might've been so is a complete myth in my opinion.
I think one of those "dithering moments" was when he realised sir was his most viable pass!!
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Although it may be so on Krypton, I don't think there is a scrum half on this planet who can get through a full game of rugby without making a mistake, but if all else fails just blame the referee! :smt005
I thought that Ben Youngs covering the large hole in defence that Hughes had lazily left, and putting pressure on Sexton for Slade to intercept late on, was a great bit of play!
England in the main were extremely motivated!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BY cover tackling was superb all game.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

MikeR wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am He just needs to understand something very simple - deal with the ball straightaway in all circumstances . By now he ought to know that the longer he takes to make a decision the harder it is for his colleagues and the easier it is for the opposition . If he can't improve his showings for Leicester he should be shown the door .
And if there platform to play off isn't secure? the forwards are not in place, the game plan has gone awry due to poor decisions or handling? Your expectations/understanding of Tigers of late are unrealistic, and especially the 'show him the door' remark is plain ignorant.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DingDong wrote: ↑Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am
MikeR wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 am He just needs to understand something very simple - deal with the ball straightaway in all circumstances . By now he ought to know that the longer he takes to make a decision the harder it is for his colleagues and the easier it is for the opposition . If he can't improve his showings for Leicester he should be shown the door .
And if there platform to play off isn't secure? the forwards are not in place, the game plan has gone awry due to poor decisions or handling? Your expectations/understanding of Tigers of late are unrealistic, and especially the 'show him the door' remark is plain ignorant.
The half back positions are the key positions to how quickly the team plays, they are the playmakers for the team, it's their responsibility, and they have also often been captaining the side between them.
The most important thing is to move the ball from the ruck before defence is set and this is the first priority, this hasn't been happening at Leicester and must happen for all of the things you mention to stand any chance.
It's often a catch 22 for forwards who can't provide cleaner ball without first receiving quick ball, momentum, but there is no such thing as perfect ball ruck after ruck and it is a complete myth to suggest that any team constantly has perfect ruck ball served up!
Leicester can't beat the gain line because defence is set before the service comes and a false idea has grown that Leicester have virtually zero ball carrying ability up front which is not true at all.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Please explain the poor aimless kicking when BY wears a tigers shirt.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

nasher wrote: ↑Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 pm Please explain the poor aimless kicking when BY wears a tigers shirt.
Kicking, like a lot of things on a rugby pitch, is more effective when you do it quickly in my opinion.
It often looks aimless for Leicester because it's done slowly, opposition defence has time to cover all bases, and the Leicester chase has to check onside meaning their take off speed is from standing start most often.
Youngs did almost everything as quickly as possible for England on Saturday in my opinion.
Tigers1213

Post by Tigers1213 »

Lack of game plan at Tigers
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Big Dai wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:25 pm
Yesterday was the best performance I've seen from Youngs, still a couple of nearly dithering moments but no-
one is perfect and he managed to rescue those.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The issue is just as the above have stated. Young's mind set is the problem, having become sloppy and lazy, showing complete indifference to the level at which he has performed for us, this season especially.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes I believe a change of scenery would do both the club and him a huge favour. I don't see an international SH when he's in a Leicester shirt,nowhere near sadly imo
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigers1213 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:29 pm Lack of game plan at Tigers

I think this is the crux of the problem, at times Tigers just look completely disorganised.
nasher

Post by nasher »

I agree Dai ,it probably stems to his attitude when playing for us. He does at times look as if he just going through the motions whereas for England he is playing for his place.
nasher

Post by nasher »

I agree Dai ,it probably stems to his attitude when playing for us. He does at times look as if he just going through the motions whereas for England he is playing for his place.