The Six Nations 2019

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:13 pm Maybe I need to watch again 25 tackles for a prop is amazing which imho is the reason he got motm. Jonny May was England’s most influential player.
Wilson in my view is a Richard Hill type flanker and does a huge amount of unseen work allowing Curry and Vunipola to do the more visible stuff.

To call Nowell a primarily defensive player is wrong again in my view. He has very good feet is very strong and nearly always gets over the gain line. When fit him and May have to be our starting wingers.
Cokanasiga is a work in progress but could be influential late on so possibly on the bench instead of Ashton
I never said Nowell was primarily a defensive winger, I said he is our best winger at defense. The back three against Ireland is probably our most balanced, but never hurts to give some other players like Cokanasiga gametime, especially against the likes of Italy. Wouldn’t bench him as he can’t really cover 15 or centre.

Considering for ages one of England’s biggest weakness was at flanker, it’s nice to finally see us having some great competition for the backrow spots.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Within that back line there is enough cover for all positions, for instance Nowell or May could move to 15.

Agree with the back row potentially our best options since Hill, Back Dayglo.
But as with those 3 the mix has to be right
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I do think though that we "lucked out" with injuries,Te'o and Shields both would've started if fit imo. I think Wilson is a far better all round player than Shields,he could become the new Richard Hill.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm I do think though that we "lucked out" with injuries,Te'o and Shields both would've started if fit imo. I think Wilson is a far better all round player than Shields,he could become the new Richard Hill.
:smt023 +1. Never seen what is so special about Shields certainly not to warrant a fast track not the squad with no club performances in UK to show his worth.
As Good As It Gets
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:10 pm I do think though that we "lucked out" with injuries,Te'o and Shields both would've started if fit imo. I think Wilson is a far better all round player than Shields,he could become the new Richard Hill.
:smt023 +1. Never seen what is so special about Shields certainly not to warrant a fast track not the squad with no club performances in UK to show his worth.
Totally agree. Presume Eddie saw something in NZ, but he's not really set anything alight over here, and fast tracking him sends out all sorts of wrong messages
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Call me crazy but if Teo is fit I would seriously think about resting Manu so he's tiptop for the Wales game.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Dear Crazy

I did laugh when I saw Manu's "judo throw" which did actually sum up the match well.
As Good As It Gets
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

northerntiger wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:21 pm
Scuttle wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:13 pm
Totally agree. Presume Eddie saw something in NZ, but he's not really set anything alight over here, and fast tracking him sends out all sorts of wrong messages
Agree with all of this. Shields should be nowhere near the England Squad. Well down the back row pecking list as far as I'm concerned. Never been convinced by Teo either.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A great article which shows how Eddie Jones won the tactical battle...

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-england-k ... =shortlink
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: The Six Nations 20

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Agree re Shields ... some of his defensive work for the Pests this year has been shocking which in any alternative reality would mean he was nowhere near the England squad. Go figure.
Teo is and always was a poor mans Manu a
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Love it. One of my gripes. Didn't look like Manu was bound so penalty to England for taking the man out. Happens all the time and refs do absolutely nothing every week.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Seen nothing from Shields to think he is an international - the more I see of Wilson the more impressed I am with his game.

As for picking Teo ahead of Manu. Even at inside centre a fit Manu is a country mile ahead.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He is for sure,I'm just thinking about managing Manus workload. Although he looks the fittest I've ever seen him.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:07 am A great article which shows how Eddie Jones won the tactical battle...

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-england-k ... =shortlink
Absolutely excellent article, thanks for spotting it. :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.