Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by drc_007 »

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Hubris.

And other nations call England arrogant.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We need to back it up now, France next week are there for the taking.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Just a great game of rugby and a brilliant performance by England, to a man they played very well.

I would single out May, Slade and Maku but the pack laid the foundation for front foot rugby and amazing defence.

Lawes was brilliant when he came on and must replace the unlucky Itoje v France.

Although the French played well in the first half v Wales, their confidence will be shot and they will not relish a trip to HQ. If England start well and play with intensity for 80 mins, it could be a thrashing.......we shall see!
Soggypitch
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 am Just a great game of rugby and a brilliant performance by England, to a man they played very well.

I would single out May, Slade and Maku but the pack laid the foundation for front foot rugby and amazing defence.

Lawes was brilliant when he came on and must replace the unlucky Itoje v France.

Although the French played well in the first half v Wales, their confidence will be shot and they will not relish a trip to HQ. If England start well and play with intensity for 80 mins, it could be a thrashing.......we shall see!
Don’t get carried away, Soggy! Talking about a thrashing is a tad presumptuous! I’d be delighted with a narrow win and enjoy the gloating with my French pals!!
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I said it "could be" (if we start well and play with intensity for 80 mins), not "would be".

But yes I agree really, I would settle for any win right now!!
Soggypitch
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:05 am Just a great game of rugby and a brilliant performance by England, to a man they played very well.

The French selected badly for their test with Wales. How Dupont didn't feature at all I don't know. Having no other option than Lopez at flyhalf also didn't help. There's some very good young talent coming through in France if they can get the right balance and the right leaders on the pitch they could be very dangerous.

The poor weather helped Wales. France looked to have a pretty lethal offloading game that caused Wales a lot of problems in the wet, imagine what they'd have done with it in the dry.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

How they follow that up will be a good indication of how good a side England are. France surely won't implode again and showed in the first half they comfortably had the beating of Wales. Play like that for 80 minutes and England will have their hands full.

The loss of Itoje will be significant. I felt he was wrongly penalised - the Irish player jumped into him when Itoje was already in position to take the ball. Not sure Lawes will start as having him on the bench does allow more options in the event of injuries to second or back rows.

WIlson is clearly a class act. May has obviously done a lot of work under the high ball- something Daly at full back needs to do.
Curry played well but a dumb yellow card that on another day could have been more costly.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

mol2 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:33 am How they follow that up will be a good indication of how good a side England are. France surely won't implode again and showed in the first half they comfortably had the beating of Wales. Play like that for 80 minutes and England will have their hands full.

The loss of Itoje will be significant. I felt he was wrongly penalised - the Irish player jumped into him when Itoje was already in position to take the ball. Not sure Lawes will start as having him on the bench does allow more options in the event of injuries to second or back rows.

WIlson is clearly a class act. May has obviously done a lot of work under the high ball- something Daly at full back needs to do.
Curry played well but a dumb yellow card that on another day could have been more costly.
Itoje had overrun it and was obstructing and not in a position to catch the ball.

For me the Curry incident was harsh to give it as a yellow. Wasn't high, wasn't a shoulder charge and whilst it was late it was only 1 foot plant between kick and contact; arguably committed
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A superb display by England, with May and Slade playing their hearts out. Surprisingly, our scrum dominated.

Ireland did not play well, because England didn't allow them to!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

A superb display by England, with May and Slade playing their hearts out. Surprisingly, our scrum dominated.

Ireland did not play well, because England didn't allow them to!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Be interesting to see the team against France with the likes of Launchbury and Cokanasiga possibly coming back into the team.

Hopefully Itoje will be fit for the Welsh game fingers crossed. Be interesting to see the battle of the backrow spots come World Cup time with the likes of Underhill and Shields being fit again. Assuming Robshaw doesn’t make the squad again. Would be tempted to play Underhill and Curry together, think Curry can jump at the lineout.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:15 pm Be interesting to see the team against France with the likes of Launchbury and Cokanasiga possibly coming back into the team.

Hopefully Itoje will be fit for the Welsh game fingers crossed. Be interesting to see the battle of the backrow spots come World Cup time with the likes of Underhill and Shields being fit again. Assuming Robshaw doesn’t make the squad again. Would be tempted to play Underhill and Curry together, think Curry can jump at the lineout.
So who would you bring Cokanasiga in for certainly not May or Nowell.
By playing Underhill and Curry you would drop Wilson who was arguably England’s best all round forward yesterday.
Puzzling :smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:44 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:15 pm Be interesting to see the team against France with the likes of Launchbury and Cokanasiga possibly coming back into the team.

So who would you bring Cokanasiga in for certainly not May or Nowell.
By playing Underhill and Curry you would drop Wilson who was arguably England’s best all round forward yesterday.
Puzzling :smt017
How was Wilson arguably our most all round forward? M Vunipola was the most all round forward, hence his MoM award, with insane carry and tackling stats. Followed by in my mind Curry and Itoje. Didn’t see Wilson make any turnovers or many carries, so hardly an all round display. Hhhmmmm :smt017

Could see him being a great bench option come the World Cup by covering all three spots.

I did also say possibly come back in the team. It’s all about options and building depth for the World Cup. Nowell is probably our best defensive wing and I imagine picked to do a job on Stockdale which he did. But he doesn’t have the best fitness record so would expect to see him rotate with Cokanasaiga at some point in the tournament.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Maybe I need to watch again 25 tackles for a prop is amazing which imho is the reason he got motm. Jonny May was England’s most influential player.
Wilson in my view is a Richard Hill type flanker and does a huge amount of unseen work allowing Curry and Vunipola to do the more visible stuff.

To call Nowell a primarily defensive player is wrong again in my view. He has very good feet is very strong and nearly always gets over the gain line. When fit him and May have to be our starting wingers.
Cokanasiga is a work in progress but could be influential late on so possibly on the bench instead of Ashton