Ben youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Ben youngs

Post by MikeR »

Clearly there is a problem . Youngs played at much greater pace today compared with the slow lackadaisical performances we see at Leicester week after week . Could it be that Eddie Jones has told him to quicken up his game or Dan Robson will be taking his place ? Geordan needs to read the Riot Act - Ben's Tigers performance have been routinely dreadful .
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In my opinion a lot to do with the timing and presentation of the ball by the forwards to the scrum half. Also some days a kick goes right or bounces right other days it doesn't, the margin between a great kick and a bad kick is sometimes a matter of a couple of inches or the luck of the bounce. One day it works for you next day it doesn't. as a former prop I know about these things!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Two things; coaching/game plan plus a great pack of forwards.

Most of the time we seem to have neither at Tigers, regrettably!!
Soggypitch
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 am In my opinion a lot to do with the timing and presentation of the ball by the forwards to the scrum half. Also some days a kick goes right or bounces right other days it doesn't, the margin between a great kick and a bad kick is sometimes a matter of a couple of inches or the luck of the bounce. One day it works for you next day it doesn't. as a former prop I know about these things!
As another former prop, I think John has a point!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MikeR wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 am Clearly there is a problem . Youngs played at much greater pace today compared with the slow lackadaisical performances we see at Leicester week after week . Could it be that Eddie Jones has told him to quicken up his game or Dan Robson will be taking his place ? Geordan needs to read the Riot Act - Ben's Tigers performance have been routinely dreadful .
Agree with this, nothing like serious competition for places as motivation.
Care was not serious competition as a starter due to the structure of international rugby in my opinion.
Robson is an all rounder.
Yesterday was the best performance I've seen from Youngs, still a couple of nearly dithering moments but no-one is perfect and he managed to rescue those.
As for the idea that the difference was the quality of ball that the England forwards delivered, yesterday was about as tough as it gets at the breakdown and some ball was good but often the ball required digging out.
Yesterday was a proper competitive match with no luxury arm chair ride for anyone, that it might've been so is a complete myth in my opinion.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I agree with all said about YBY England version and YBY Tigers version..
Yesterday he was on fire..

He never seems on fire with Leicester. Maybe the players around him dont have his speed of thought, and he has basically given up, maybe its been the abysmal coaching--hopefully now to be rectified

Who knows, but lets hope he gets his mojo back at Welford Road and not just in an England shirt..
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

He just needs to understand something very simple - deal with the ball straightaway in all circumstances . By now he ought to know that the longer he takes to make a decision the harder it is for his colleagues and the easier it is for the opposition . If he can't improve his showings for Leicester he should be shown the door .
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

there is an easy solution, cannot believe it's never been thought if, simply stitch an England badge next to his Tigers badge on his match shirts and then tell him its a new England strip and he will play like England's YBY
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The quicker the ball delivery from a breakdown the better chance the defense isn't set & your players are hopefully coming onto the ball rather than waiting for it, better go forward....simple physics.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps when he plays for Tigers as a senior player he is burdened by the responsibility for decision making yet playing for England he doesn't feel the need to organise those around him as that are all internationals and expected to know their roles inside out and back to front.

Until recently Tigers haven't looked like a team with a game plan and structure for a good few years and that may well prove part of the problem.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:42 pm Am at a loss for words by now to describe how frustrated/angry/bemused I am in the difference between Ben Youngs A (the England version) and Ben Youngs B (the Leicester Tigers version)
My thoughts entirely. Does he have an identical twin? He was on fire yesterday.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For me, I think that Youngs doesn’t enjoy playing for Leicester anymore and feels that his position is secure at England, which could explain why Robson was not used.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:56 pm For me, I think that Youngs doesn’t enjoy playing for Leicester anymore and feels that his position is secure at England, which could explain why Robson was not used.
If he doesn’t enjoy it then he should move on. I’m sure there would be no shortage of takers
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:56 pm For me, I think that Youngs doesn’t enjoy playing for Leicester anymore and feels that his position is secure at England, which could explain why Robson was not used.
If he doesn’t enjoy it then he should move on. I’m sure there would be no shortage of takers
For England when Youngs kicks two or three players do everything they can to get to the ball, forwards clear out the breakdown providing quick ball and provide him with protection when kicking. When he gets the ball three are two or three options of players ready to run onto a pass. They do this with out him needing to shout at people to get into position.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

And he was playing off front foot ball and a dominant pack.

We (Tigers) lose collisions, lose the break down and most of our key line outs are shoddy even if we win them so our scrum halves are fighting a battle just to secure ball before thinking what needs to happen next.

Infuriatingly, YBY does tend to wave his arms around at times rather than burrowing in to secure said poor quality ball so does get me shouting at times.

We are improving so I think he’ll start to look better for Tigers as the game plan develops and pack dominance builds (hopefully)