Ben youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ben youngs

Post by amazing tiger »

Youngs had a great game today pretty much controlled the game today and was an integral part of Englands victory today! And some people think Harrison should start every week πŸ˜‚
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Ben youngs

Post by TigerMac3 »

Am at a loss for words by now to describe how frustrated/angry/bemused I am in the difference between Ben Youngs A (the England version) and Ben Youngs B (the Leicester Tigers version)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Come on now,let's not spoil a fantastic win with a purposely provoking post!! England BY and Leicester BY are night and day and nobody has ever said differently!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

I enjoy watching England, but it comes a distant second to watching Tigers, for me. A Tigers defeat on a Saturday hurts β€˜til the following Thursday! As such, the BY situation is like a red rag to a bull with me
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Exactly opposite for me! To paraphrase Alan Hansen international rugby is king!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Scott1 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 pm Come on now,let's not spoil a fantastic win with a purposely provoking post!! England BY and Leicester BY are night and day and nobody has ever said differently!!!
Sorry it's just too easy πŸ˜‚
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

One of the reasons why Lenny looks so good for England, and, to some, less so, for Tigers, may have something to do with the way England followed up his box kicks fast, and put pressure on the Irish. Jonny May was doing it the entire match, and it was causing havok with the opposition. For whatever reason, we just do not do that consistently.

Of the forwards, Will Evans and BOC are the best at it of the current crop, along with Jonny, Telusa and Thompstone, but it requires an advanced level of speed and fitness that I am not sure we have in abundance.

It is grossly unfair to blame Lenny, look to others as well.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 pm One of the reasons why Lenny looks so good for England, and, to some, less so, for Tigers, may have something to do with the way England followed up his box kicks fast, and put pressure on the Irish. Jonny May was doing it the entire match, and it was causing havok with the opposition. For whatever reason, we just do not do that consistently.

Of the forwards, Will Evans and BOC are the best at it of the current crop, along with Jonny, Telusa and Thompstone, but it requires an advanced level of speed and fitness that I am not sure we have in abundance.

The problem is, Jonny May plays for us too so his chasing today shouldn't be any different than his chasing for us - and I don't believe it is - the difference is Youngs' kicking, on the money today and easy for chasers to target yet when he box kicks for us it's quite often way too far, and never so accurate.
Scott1 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 pmEngland BY and Leicester BY are night and day and nobody has ever said differently!!!
No they've not, but what they've wondered is just why is there such a disparity between his National and Club performances, there shouldn't be really. Can't put it down to coaching IMO.
Scott1 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 pmTo paraphrase Alan Hansen international rugby is king!!!
Not in my book, club before country for me.

Before it's mis-construed and twisted.... I get that for the players, playing for your country is the highest accolade and should be strived for but for me as a supporter - I put Tigers first every time.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:58 pm
DCATsOLDMAN wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 pm One of the reasons why Lenny looks so good for England, and, to some, less so, for Tigers, may have something to do with the way England followed up his box kicks fast, and put pressure on the Irish. Jonny May was doing it the entire match, and it was causing havok with the opposition. For whatever reason, we just do not do that consistently.

The problem is, Jonny May plays for us too so his chasing today shouldn't be any different than his chasing for us - and I don't believe it is - the difference is Youngs' kicking, on the money today and easy for chasers to target yet when he box kicks for us it's quite often way too far, and never so accurate.
Scott1 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:48 pmEngland BY and Leicester BY are night and day and nobody has ever said differently!!!
No they've not, but what they've wondered is just why is there such a disparity between his National and Club performances, there shouldn't be really. Can't put it down to coaching IMO.
Scott1 wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:03 pmTo paraphrase Alan Hansen international rugby is king!!!
Not in my book, club before country for me.
I agree, Club before country for me too, as I have invested so much money and passion in the Tigers, where as I have only invested passion for the England team.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It was a superb performance all round. I thought Mako making 25 tackles for a prop was unbelievable. Forwards gave Ben front foot ball, much more so than Tigers can do. I think today was the 1st time Ben has outplayed Connor, very well done to all. :smt041
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

''never so accurate''.

Oh come on. How can you justify such a sweeping statement?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:22 pm ''never so accurate''.

Nearly every one of his kicks were right where they needed to be tonight, those that were for chasing were obtainable (and were reached by chasers tonight) - I rarely see that achieved with the frequency of tonight in a Tigers shirt hence "Never so accurate".

I am a Ben Youngs supporter, don't want rid of him but this is an opinion I hold - I'm not alone, his kicking has been below par (his own international level - so we know he's capable of it) for us at club level.

Apologies for it being different to your view.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

WhitecapTiger wrote: ↑Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Nearly every one of his kicks were right where they needed to be tonight, those that were for chasing were obtainable (and were reached by chasers tonight) - I rarely see that achieved with the frequency of tonight in a Tigers shirt hence "Never so accurate".

I am a Ben Youngs supporter, don't want rid of him but this is an opinion I hold - I'm not alone, his kicking has been below par (his own international level - so we know he's capable of it) for us at club level.

What I object to is the word "never", and then in the same sentence as "rarely". It cannot be both!

If Lenny is playing so badly for Tigers, why is he being picked?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 am

What I object to is the word "never", and then in the same sentence as "rarely". It cannot be both!

If you believe the "chatter" Lenny is one of the players who has been in charge of our boards coaching decisions.
He is our best 9, he just far to frequently fails to perform at the level he showed yesterday. Some of that is the players around him, the rest who knows....
What can be said is he looks so much better when he plays at a high tempo & doesn't slow the whole game down.
To me he always looks better when he has a dynamic 6 or 8 in the team, he was a better performer for Tigers with TTE @ 8.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 am
DCATsOLDMAN wrote: ↑Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 am

If you believe the "chatter" Lenny is one of the players who has been in charge of our boards coaching decisions.
He is our best 9, he just far to frequently fails to perform at the level he showed yesterday. Some of that is the players around him, the rest who knows....
What can be said is he looks so much better when he plays at a high tempo & doesn't slow the whole game down.
To me he always looks better when he has a dynamic 6 or 8 in the team, he was a better performer for Tigers with TTE @ 8.
I agree! :smt023