The England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: The England Squad

Post by voice of the crumbie »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:06 pm Is it just me, but I can't really see the advantage of Teo. Not really that powerful, nor that skilled. Better centre around surely?
I said the same on another thread a little while ago and I haven't changed my opinion.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Poor man's Tuillagi.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I guess before Cokanasiga came along and with Tuilagi injured, the backline looked very lightweight. Therefore we needed Te’o for a bit physicality to get over the gainline off 12. All good international teams have a crash ball merchant in the backs for slow ball.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,a team with the Vunipolae,Tuilagi and Big Joe is mouthwatering! Providing there's no injuries,this 6N squad imo is the best Jones has had,Ireland will be brutal!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 pm I guess before Cokanasiga came along and with Tuilagi injured, the backline looked very lightweight. Therefore we needed Te’o for a bit physicality to get over the gainline off 12. All good international teams have a crash ball merchant in the backs for slow ball.
Spot on, I only ever saw him as a stop gap. Not needed now in my opinion
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

The start of the 6Ns is always exciting and this year it looks closer than ever, Ireland are definitely favourites, but England and Wales have credible chances and Scotland will be no pushover, especially at home.

I think Jones will pick his teams based on the opposition, for example I'm sure Brown will be at 15 away in Dublin, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Nowell get a chance at 15 in one of the home games. England need character and experience plus power on Saturday, my 23 would be;

Mako
George
Cole
Itoje
Launchbury
Wilson (at 7)
Shields
Vunipola
Youngs
Farrell
Daly
Teo
Manu
May
Brown

Sinkler, LCD, Genge, Lawes, Curry, Robson, Ford, Nowell

Looking forward to it.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Tiger93 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:15 pm So if Dan is away for the whole tournament and doesn't get released back to us will we be taking Joe Heyes back as surely its better for his development to play first choice TH for us than with the under 20's?
Yeah, probably. Depends how many other props we have available, but we certainly have the right to retain him even if he's not going to be starting. I'd like him to play for the U20s as I like to see England play strong underage sides occasionally. And we do have a stack of props - Bateman, Feao, Gigena, Cortes and Ma'afu. But quite honestly, I think Heyes is the best tighthead behind Cole and I would not be surprised if we retained him for that reason.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ireland teasing Henshaw at FB,can't see that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Te'o out and Manu set to start according to reports. I hope it's Ford,Farrell,Manu rather than Farrell,Manu,Slade. Ford has been the GP form 10 this season,Farrell leads the defensive line better at 12 than 10 and Manus normal position is 13. They will target him at 12 with the wraparound which Farrell has read brilliantly at times.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cole released ,Genge kept. Just as I thought.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes and no Dan Cole who will return to Tigers. That surprises me.

Genge ahead of Moon however, which is no mean feat, given how well Moon played in the Autumn.

I think I agree with Scott1 and hope Eddie plays GF, OW and Manu, definitely not Manu at 12. I suppose Slade is an option at 12 but he rarely plays there and it doesn't seem an ideal game to experiment!
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Coles scrummaging is just not that far ahead of Williams that it negates Williams better all round game and it was always gonna be Williams or Cole. I'm not convinced at all with Sinckler in the tight but he can be dangerous in the loose and is getter fitter and becoming more involved every game.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No one seems to remember Sinckler's god-awful set piece performance in the reverse fixture last year then :smt017?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm No one seems to remember Sinckler's god-awful set piece performance in the reverse fixture last year then :smt017?
I remember not so long ago Sinckler being so poor at scrummaging that Luke Wallace slid up along side him to be the fourth member of the front row - extra loose head on the tight head side.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

teds wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:11 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm No one seems to remember Sinckler's god-awful set piece performance in the reverse fixture last year then :smt017?
I remember not so long ago Sinckler being so poor at scrummaging that Luke Wallace slid up along side him to be the fourth member of the front row - extra loose head on the tight head side.
Well he did pretty well in the Autumn against some pretty tasty southern hemisphere loose heads.
Soggypitch