LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm Really can't see how Kitchener, Fitzgerald or Williams as better locks than Green, honestly.
Green is the same size as Slater (If a bit thicker) so if you are fine with Slaters size, Green's shouldn't be an issue.

On top of leading the lineouts stats last season he is leading them this season as well.

Am I saying it would solve the lock problem no, would I have another top lock in as well, Yes I would.

Would I take
Top Lock, Spencer, Green Wells, Voss, Lewis, Jordan, Martin
over
Spencer, Kitchener, Fitzgerald, Williams, Voss, Lewis, Jordan, Martin
Yes
When I heard about Green I thought it would be a really good and astute signing. He’s a quality player as shown playing for the Falcons. Don’t get where all the negativity is coming from.

Even if we sign a marquee or international lock, they’re gonna be away for the international period and therefore we’ll need the likes of Green in the squad. Green and Spencer would make an abrasive combo who are both good jumpers.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm Really can't see how Kitchener, Fitzgerald or Williams as better locks than Green, honestly.
Green is the same size as Slater (If a bit thicker) so if you are fine with Slaters size, Green's shouldn't be an issue.

On top of leading the lineouts stats last season he is leading them this season as well.

Am I saying it would solve the lock problem no, would I have another top lock in as well, Yes I would.

Would I take
Top Lock, Spencer, Green Wells, Voss, Lewis, Jordan, Martin
over
Spencer, Kitchener, Fitzgerald, Williams, Voss, Lewis, Jordan, Martin
Yes
No I am not saying that but if you reverse your statement "Really can't see how Kitchener, Fitzgerald or Williams as better locks than Green" and say is Green a better lock than what we have got, I think we are near equality. My main points are that if we know one or more of current crop are going, I can understand it more and I don't think he is better than Wells.
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Green will not bridge the gap between where Leicester are now and Sarries/Exeter.
By the way this is exactly what Cockers wanted doing a few years ago in the need to recruit next level quality forwards.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Grobler and Mostert out played our 2 locks in terms of physicality in the rucks.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Out of interest Mike Fitzgerald made the Times 'team of the weekend' today after his performance on Saturday !
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:37 pm Green will not bridge the gap between where Leicester are now and Sarries/Exeter.
By the way this is exactly what Cockers wanted doing a few years ago in the need to recruit next level quality forwards.
And what was denied him by the BoD, as well as the extra coaches.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The memory of the 14/15 pack still haunts me to this day! :smt011
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:44 pm The memory of the 14/15 pack still haunts me to this day! :smt011
That pack was decimated by some badly timed injuries to key players. There were some tough pack displays to watch that season.

There were some good youngsters in around the pack that year who didn't quite kick on. Charlie Beckett is meant to be doing well for Jersey, Tiziano Pasquali has picked up some Italy caps and I'd happily see Ed Milne return.

Outside of the pack Oli Bryant is now plying his trade out in Spain!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes I would love to see Milne back too, but I think he’s doing just fine in the Championship.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

If you had a vote, 90% on here would say our locks are not physical enough and the statement that Grobler and Mostert outplayed our two incumbents is 100% true.
If only they were at Tigers....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fortysix wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm If you had a vote, 90% on here would say our locks are not physical enough and the statement that Grobler and Mostert outplayed our two incumbents is 100% true.
It is true in terms of the attacking gain line battle (who they chose to run into) but I wouldn't say that they defended it better than the Leicester locks though.
Phillips and Beaumont took it to Saracens on Friday night.
I really can't see what Green would add to Leicester in that area.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm
fortysix wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm If you had a vote, 90% on here would say our locks are not physical enough and the statement that Grobler and Mostert outplayed our two incumbents is 100% true.
It is true in terms of the attacking gain line battle (who they chose to run into) but I wouldn't say that they defended it better than the Leicester locks though.
TigerMac3 already stated that Green carries twice as far per carry than Kitchener, so would improve massively in that area.

Granted we do some more physicality in the second row department, hopefully a marquee or international signing will add to that. However, Green and Spencer would be an abrasive partnership.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:23 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:07 pm
TigerMac3 already stated that Green carries twice as far per carry than Kitchener, so would improve massively in that area.

Granted we do some more physicality in the second row department, hopefully a marquee or international signing will add to that. However, Green and Spencer would be an abrasive partnership.
I thought Kitchener carried pretty well against Gloucester and Fitzgerald defended really well.
I think our whole lock quota would benefit greatly from one world class lock addition and help take them all onto another level, or maybe a big ball carrier like Phillips at Sale and and spend the money elsewhere in the pack.
Either way the gain line needs improving anywhere possible in my opinion.
The Gloucester locks were abrasive and probably missed the more abrasive back rows like Polledri and Ackerman etc but I thought Grobler missed a few tackles.
Anyway the stats can be misleading in more ways than one, on ESPN Cole is down for one metre off five carries and he definitely made more than that in one carry!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Taute sounding like a certainty according to Irish press
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:50 pm Taute sounding like a certainty according to Irish press
Comments on the Munster Forum...

"Report in today's Mail on Sunday that Leicester are trying to sign Jaco Taute for next season. I would hate to see him go but with the emergence of Arnold and particularly Dan Goggin it probably makes sense for him to move on. Such a shame injury spoiled so much of his time here."

"Interesting- and really, while it would be shame to see the guy go, he’s no longer what we need. I think playing and training with him will have helped scannell, Goggin and others- but would be happy to see him go to Leicester, with a winners medal in his back pocket."

"He was just what we needed when he started but it's time for him to move on. Younger, Irish qualified guys are now playing at or above his level in his position. Did a great job for us though."

So.....
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives