LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by JP14 »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:40 pm So the 1st choice British Lion Test Loose Head in a drawn series against the ABs isn't as good a prop as Genge (who is not even first choice for England). Gatland and Jones seem to prefer MV. George the other 1st choice British Lion Test Hooker in the Sarries front row, presumably is not quite as good as TPN (who is in and out of a weak Aussie team), Kerr or Youngs. Although Gatland and Jones don't seem to think so. Which leaves Koch v Cole.
Any thoughts on the relative merits of Edwards and John v Young and Ford?

Genge, TPN and Cole are all very fine players, and Kerr looks like a fine prospect. The three make an impressive front row. I just don't think the statement that Genge, TPN and Cole are the best in the premiership stacks up. But thats the fun of the forum. So Happy New Year 2019 - all Tigers fans anyway.
You must admit that George is overrated. Sure he had a good Lions tour nearly 18 months ago, but has never put in a good performance in the starting jersey for England.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What about Sam Carter, any fresh rumours regarding him?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 am What about Sam Carter, any fresh rumours regarding him?
Hopefully not, feel he would be massively underwhelming as a signing. Wouldn’t be much of an upgrade over our current options now.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 am What about Sam Carter, any fresh rumours regarding him?
Hopefully not, feel he would be massively underwhelming as a signing. Wouldn’t be much of an upgrade over our current options now.
Agree with you LTT. Especially If Callum Green is coming. Spencer, Wells, Green plus 1 from Kitchener, Williams or Fitzgerald (assuming that 2 of them are leaving) plus Voss, Jordan and Lewis to develop should give us enough cover. If we did go for a lock then lets get either a really big name as a marquee or a gnarly old warrior in the Brad Thorn mould.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 am
strawclearer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm Diamond quoted by Sky...

"Diamond said he is preparing to announce a string of contract extensions and the signings of five new internationals to take the club up to the cap and - he hopes - into the top four.

Those internationals will not include the Du Preez brothers, who only joined on short-term deals, but could include one England player."

And in the Grauniad:

"South African brothers Rob and Jean-Luc de Preez are due to leave the club when their short-term deals expire."
And in The Times :

"He said that the new signings did not include the three Du Preez brothers."
"Next season they are expected to play at Leicester Tigers"
Is that a direct quote from Diamond or the Times journalist?
All are the journalist's comments.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Sale have announced Jean Luc Du Preez is returning to SA early after picking up an injury against Gloucester, in their post they heavily hint that he will be returning to them afterwards
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm Sale have announced Jean Luc Du Preez is returning to SA early after picking up an injury against Gloucester, in their post they heavily hint that he will be returning to them afterwards
Have a feeling until either club announce anything no one will 100% know. Lots of people with mixed messages regarding the 3 players. Last I heard was Dan was joining us but don’t know about the other two. Some people say all 3 are joining us, others say all 3 joining Sale.

I get the impression Sale have obviously given them offers for next season. But since then we’ve had talked with them so who knows where the other 2 will end up.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I did think this, before I did a bit of looking into him.

Current Co-Captain of Brumbies
6ft7; 18st4lb
99apps, 16caps for Oz

Leader, lump and alongside Green would be an excellent second row. Add Spencer and Wells, Voss, Lewis, and Jordan. Allows Kitch, Fitz and Williams to all be on their way.

Add a number 8 along with Leitigaga and suddenly, a much better balanced pack.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

I know ages ago we were linked with Mark Wilson. Has just signed to remain with Falcons for next season.

Now rumoured that Mike Williams is 100% staying with Tigers. Be interesting to know whether the coaches see him as mainly a lock or flanker. For me he plays better at 4.

Also does anyone know the contract situation for Kalamafoni and Mapapalangi, do the finish end of this season?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Samu Manoa has apparently left Cardiff Blues with immediate effect. Could he be one of the players heading our way?
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:33 pm Now rumoured that Mike Williams is 100% staying with Tigers. Be interesting to know whether the coaches see him as mainly a lock or flanker. For me he plays better at 4.
I wonder if that means one of the other targets has slipped.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:33 pm Now rumoured that Mike Williams is 100% staying with Tigers. Be interesting to know whether the coaches see him as mainly a lock or flanker. For me he plays better at 4.
I wonder if that means one of the other targets has slipped.
It’s the chat on twitter. To be honest with all the rumours circling round I don’t think anyone knows :smt023
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

So many rumours! It would be nice to get some confirmations - doesn't feel like we've had many at all compared to previous years. Understandable with the state of flux the club has been in.

There was talk of announcements this week...? Guessing that'll be next now? Or weirdly 15 minutes before kick off like Varndell and Sarto!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:44 pm Samu Manoa has apparently left Cardiff Blues with immediate effect. Could he be one of the players heading our way?
That’s interesting...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 pm
I did think this, before I did a bit of looking into him.

Current Co-Captain of Brumbies
6ft7; 18st4lb
99apps, 16caps for Oz

Leader, lump and alongside Green would be an excellent second row. Add Spencer and Wells, Voss, Lewis, and Jordan. Allows Kitch, Fitz and Williams to all be on their way.

Add a number 8 along with Leitigaga and suddenly, a much better balanced pack.
Isn't Mike Williams off to Bath?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too