Gloucester 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester 23

Post by Soggypitch »

I caught the first half hour of the Radio Leicester rugby show last night. George Chuter was on with Ian Cockerill.

I've not heard it for a few weeks, but I was quite shocked by the negativity of both Ian and Chutes. Both were very clear that we don't have enough good players with sufficient quality, especially when obvious first choices are unavailable. The obvious conclusion was that our recruitment has been poor (at best). Their concern for the 6Ns period was palpable.

I was only surprised at the comments because both Ian and Chutes are usually very positive, often following very bad results, but their obvious concern and Ian's comment that "I would take top 6 now", left me realising that we do really have a massive problem at Tigers, and Murphy has one hell of a rebuilding job to do.

I wish him well, but I felt quite dejected after that half hour listen!!
Soggypitch
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Either way we could see some surprises in the team this week though it shouldn’t be too different from the team from Bath.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am I caught the first half hour of the Radio Leicester rugby show last night. George Chuter was on with Ian Cockerill.

I've not heard it for a few weeks, but I was quite shocked by the negativity of both Ian and Chutes. Both were very clear that we don't have enough good players with sufficient quality, especially when obvious first choices are unavailable. The obvious conclusion was that our recruitment has been poor (at best). Their concern for the 6Ns period was palpable.

I was only surprised at the comments because both Ian and Chutes are usually very positive, often following very bad results, but their obvious concern and Ian's comment that "I would take top 6 now", left me realising that we do really have a massive problem at Tigers, and Murphy has one hell of a rebuilding job to do.

I wish him well, but I felt quite dejected after that half hour listen!!
Any sensible fan would take top 6 right now.

On the flip side, I listened to Murphy's post match Bath interview. Not sure if it's because his position has been made permanent or he is just growing into the job but I think he sounded very assured and smart in his thinking.

I think the Academy is critical and there are some green shoots there. I think we are missing Tait because he is so versatile and reliable. TV also.

As ever things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

All games are big but the Gloucester game is now huge for the reasons we have a long break in the Prem; we would be something like 11/12 points off Gloucester as opposed to 4/5. Worcester and Falcons have home games and we could get sucked into the bottom. I don't believe we will be relegated but I want us to stay at the right end of the table.

There is no doubt this season is about next season, if that makes sense. We have to back Murphy, let him build a coaching team and playing squad. The rest of the season is about him doing that. Results can never be ignored but really this season is all about laying the foundations for the future.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Game becoming even more important now Exeter admittng they will rest players against Bristol with their eye still on Europe with a chance of qualifying next week. Massive game this week!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any sensible fan would take 11th! Have a feeling the table will look a lot different this week,and not in a good way!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

There is no doubt this season is about next season, if that makes sense. We have to back Murphy, let him build a coaching team and playing squad. The rest of the season is about him doing that. Results can never be ignored but really this season is all about laying the foundations for the future.
Absolutely right Ourla. If we do put a run together and achieve better than most of us expect then that's a welcome bonus.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

No reason not to have a bit of optimism, Sale managed an away win at Kingsholm and their squad isn't strides better than ours. No Cips, Ackermann, Hanson, Heinz, Kriel, Ruskin, probably Woodward still out too and Tom Savage almost certainly banned.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

In my opinion based on his column in the Leicester Mercury Ian Cockerill has become very negative which is why, along with the lack of searching questions, I have stopped listening to the Rugby Hour on radio leicester
A2O
BG01

Post by BG01 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm Would go with
1. Genge
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Williams
6. O'Connor
7. Evans
8. Mapapalangi
9. White
10. Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Holmes
15. Worth

16. Kerr
17. Ma'afu
18. Heyes
19. Fitzgerald
20. Reffell
21. Youngs
22. Eastmond
23. Sarto/Olowofela
I would go similar. Tino for me is still an impact player until his defence improves a bit, but I think with Genge/TPN/Wells/Williams we've got enough hard carriers in the pack to go for a slightly lighter back row, especially now Evans has bulked up a bit. BOC captained Hawke's Bay from 8 so he knows what he's doing.

Heyes I have a lot of time for but the experience of Feao or Cortes may be important to maintain scrum dominance.

No idea who should be in the 23 shirt. I think probably Sarto as this may be a tough game and we may want some more direct running, but none of them are quite up to match fitness and the idea of Varndell against tired legs is hard to resist.

1. Genge
2. TPN
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Williams
6. Fitzgerald
7. Evans
8. O'Connor
9. White
10. Ford
11. May
12. Toomua
13. Tuilagi
14. Holmes
15. Worth

16. Kerr
17. Gigena
18. Feao/Cortes
19. Mapapalangi
20. Reffell
21. Youngs
22. Eastmond
23. Varndell/Sarto/Olowofela
Never believe generalisations
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm In my opinion based on his column in the Leicester Mercury Ian Cockerill has become very negative which is why, along with the lack of searching questions, I have stopped listening to the Rugby Hour on radio leicester
Aye, I agree with you, Happy New Year!
What really puts the icing on things is when you read articles about Harry Thacker and Bristol doing brilliantly from the same people who say that Leicester are rubbish, and Bristol are a point behind Leicester in the Premiership table.
Pat Lam is talked up as something special, here it's like... :smt027
I do believe there is a campaign around to try and keep Leicester down, or even knock them down further if possible, let's be honest there are a lot of rugby folk about elsewhere that would enjoy this.
I quite like how Murphy is developing into a strong character, we need a strong character after all of the bumbling in recent times.
The bumbling is now done, no-one can change any of it and it's time to move on.
That bumbling television mouthpiece Kay and friends can be moved on in the future, in the meantime Leicester have a job that needs doing.
Most of the players are as much the victims of the bumbling as the supporters are.
It's always been Leicester versus the rest of the world, supporters need to realise that in continuing to be duped by too much negativity, they are doing a share of the enemies work!
I don't mean wearing rose tinted goggles and happy clapping mediocracy, criticism can be constructive when meant well, but the nagativity goes too far and to self harm levels in my opinion!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

BFG wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:19 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:19 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:24 pm I'd be sticking with BY at scrum half, White hasn't done anything special but if he was to get injured and then BY goes off with England for the 6N and Harrison isn't fit then... :smt100
Isn't there an Argentine gent waiting in the wings?
I'm not sure but I think I recall reading on here that he had returned to Argentina.
Yes Felipe Ezcurra returned back to Argentina only to be dropped from the 2019 Super Rugby Squad unlike ex part time Tigers Julian Montoya and Pablo Matera.
https://www.planetrugby.com/news/jaguar ... gby-squad/
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Stability and a defined hierarchy is what we need. Pleased that Murphy is no longer interim. Pary and hope that he gets to decide who we sign, and let go, players and coaches. Absolutely it has to be his team. I like the use of the youngsters, if we dont give them some game time we will never know if they are good enough. We may finish 11th, who knows, but that will be ok when we finish 1st next year. :smt001
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:24 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm In my opinion based on his column in the Leicester Mercury Ian Cockerill has become very negative which is why, along with the lack of searching questions, I have stopped listening to the Rugby Hour on radio leicester
Aye, I agree with you, Happy New Year!
What really puts the icing on things is when you read articles about Harry Thacker and Bristol doing brilliantly from the same people who say that Leicester are rubbish, and Bristol are a point behind Leicester in the Premiership table.
Pat Lam is talked up as something special, here it's like... :smt027
I do believe there is a campaign around to try and keep Leicester down, or even knock them down further if possible, let's be honest there are a lot of rugby folk about elsewhere that would enjoy this.
I quite like how Murphy is developing into a strong character, we need a strong character after all of the bumbling in recent times.
The bumbling is now done, no-one can change any of it and it's time to move on.
That bumbling television mouthpiece Kay and friends can be moved on in the future, in the meantime Leicester have a job that needs doing.
Most of the players are as much the victims of the bumbling as the supporters are.
It's always been Leicester versus the rest of the world, supporters need to realise that in continuing to be duped by too much negativity, they are doing a share of the enemies work!
I don't mean wearing rose tinted goggles and happy clapping mediocracy, criticism can be constructive when meant well, but the nagativity goes too far and to self harm levels in my opinion!
:smt023 Lot of truth in this!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

"That bumbling television mouthpiece Kay and friends can be moved on in the future, in the meantime Leicester have a job that needs doing."
Been banging on about this for a while, a lot of the mess has been on his watch and when responsible for the Board for the playing side. Always suspected he was a conduit for certain players who wanted to dump the RC/forward orientated game (that won all our trophies) and become a SH showpony via AM and Scot.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’ve always liked Kay but I've always felt he has been restricted as a pundit whilst a member of the Board. While that has maybe meant that Kay can explain certain decisions (ie the late sacking of O’Connor) directly on Rugby Tonight but I’ve always had the feeling that he’s always saying stuff that the Board want him to say rather than his own personal opinion, although he did let that slip when talking about the release of Harry Thacker.

In my view, Kay should either be a board member or a pundit, not both.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni