Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Defence Coach

Post by wellstiger »

Having a "Grey" moment.
Before Christmas a "defensive Coach with the right Fit" was due to be in place.
Pre Barff game we would hear of a signing "early in the week"
Question------------- Did I miss it?????Am I dreaming it all up?????
Are Tom Varndell and Sarto signings a good day to bury the subject??? :smt018 :smt018
Or am I due another bout of meds :smt041 :smt041
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Defence Coach

Post by BFG »

I think the Sarto signing could be an interesting one, he was very much on the up when Glasgow signed him, but they have had a well stocked back three and regularly getting ahead of the Scottish connected union players would be difficult.
Defence for me is about attitude, the Premiership can be a bit of a slugfest and I have no doubt that the injury list will rise with more attitude in defence so the right quality depth needs adding to cope with rest/recovery/rotation in my opinion.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Well on the basis of the Dev Game the other day Sarto is certainly some way from Premiership level at the moment - lets hope he does improve .
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

MikeR wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:35 pm Well on the basis of the Dev Game the other day Sarto is certainly some way from Premiership level at the moment - lets hope he does improve .
Looks worth a punt.
He was knocked out cold in a bad tackle on him in an international match with Italy versus USA just after joining Glasgow, could've possibly had an impact on how things started with the Glasgow career.
Last edited by BFG on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Glasgow fans I know speak very highly of Sarto, all that held him back was injury. A fair few Glasgow fans were very upset to see him go, albeit they were pleased to see Scotstoun favourite DTH re-sign.

Sarto could be a very astute signing both for this season and longer term if he keeps fitness and enjoys his time here.

Given that lack of pace in our reserve outside backs has often been lamented I'd say Sarto and Varndell are useful injury dispensation signings at this point in the season.

As for the defence coach - it sounds like Blake will be announced along with a few other signings fairly soon.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Still no news on the defence coach then? Can't understand the delay.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm Still no news on the defence coach then? Can't understand the delay.
Execs on holiday perhaps?
I'm not cynical just experienced
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm Still no news on the defence coach then? Can't understand the delay.
I wonder if the club are looking at other coaches too and want to confirm everything at once.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Daniel Schofield in the DT today is reporting that Tigers are talking seriously to Mike Ford about the position of defence coach. Murphy is even quoted about the conversations.

That would be a positive outcome for me, better than Blake IMO.
Soggypitch
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 am Daniel Schofield in the DT today is reporting that Tigers are talking seriously to Mike Ford about the position of defence coach. Murphy is even quoted about the conversations.

That would be a positive outcome for me, better than Blake IMO.
+1
Hehehehehehehehe
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I'm not really fussed whether it's Mike Ford, Phil Blake, or A.n.other. As long as they have a previous good track record as a defence coach and are available now. Or could it be that this time we really are scouring the world and that's why it's taking so long?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Those quotes by Murphy are not recent they are around 3 weeks old.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:19 am I'm not really fussed whether it's Mike Ford, Phil Blake, or A.n.other. As long as they have a previous good track record as a defence coach and are available now. Or could it be that this time we really are scouring the world and that's why it's taking so long?
Agreed, not bothered about who the defence coach is, just want someone who is competent at their job. Although I had heard Blake has already been appointed, just waiting for the announcement. Guessing the Ford interview was way back, at least 4 weeks ago I thought.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Let's take our time, no need to rush, not like we've got the worst PD in the league or anything....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

While we are at it can we get a game management coach too? Nothing could be worse than our forwards stoutly defending our own line,winning the battle only for our numpty backs to kick our previously hard won ball straight back to the opponents!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer