LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by jgriffin »

norfolkexpat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:22 pm It really does seem unbelievable that Cohen and Glynn are allowed anywhere near Welford Road, let alone on the flipping Board. You couldn't make it up.
Glynn I get, but why Cohen? He doesn't scout, coach, select......club spends up to the cap, playing side responsibility from the BOD is Kay and Underwood......might be unpleasant on the quiet though pleasant in public......seems to manage some stuff well, some poor. Spell out the beef that some have please otherwise I will get quite the wrong idea.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:22 pm It really does seem unbelievable that Cohen and Glynn are allowed anywhere near Welford Road, let alone on the flipping Board. You couldn't make it up.
Glynn I get, but why Cohen? He doesn't scout, coach, select......club spends up to the cap, playing side responsibility from the BOD is Kay and Underwood......might be unpleasant on the quiet though pleasant in public......seems to manage some stuff well, some poor. Spell out the beef that some have please otherwise I will get quite the wrong idea.
Completely agree, Cohen is the CEO and on a business level the club is doing well for itself. Granted the coaching situation hasn’t been handled amazingly, but he wouldn’t get the chop for that. Commercially we’re successful, especially in comparison with the likes of Wasps and Sarries.

For me for a club, it must be harder to climb the ladder than it is to stay at the top. Yet somehow, with Glynn in charge of recruitment and retention, he’s somehow managed to ruin a very successful squad and the quality in the current squad is embarrassing in comparison to past Tigers teams.

Now I know success is very much cyclic but you can still manage the transition of squads to a high degree. In this regard Glynn has been a massive failure.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:00 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 pm
Completely agree, Cohen is the CEO and on a business level the club is doing well for itself. Granted the coaching situation hasn’t been handled amazingly, but he wouldn’t get the chop for that. Commercially we’re successful, especially in comparison with the likes of Wasps and Sarries.

For me for a club, it must be harder to climb the ladder than it is to stay at the top. Yet somehow, with Glynn in charge of recruitment and retention, he’s somehow managed to ruin a very successful squad and the quality in the current squad is embarrassing in comparison to past Tigers teams.

Now I know success is very much cyclic but you can still manage the transition of squads to a high degree. In this regard Glynn has been a massive failure.
Depends how much influence Glynn has on first team signings. We know he was tasked with restructuring the academy which is now looking to be some very astute work. With the first team there are other board members who will want to weigh in with an opinion and a head coach/DOR who will want the players he wants for next season more than the players the club might be interested in signing for a five year plan (as an example).
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can not understand people who say that the squad lacks quality. How about Genge,Cole,May,Tuilagi,Veanu,,Denton,Thompson,Spencer,Toomua,Ford,Holmes to name a few.
In my opinion all that we need is a big ball carrying lock and a number 8 and possibly a big physical centre
A2O
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:21 pm Can not understand people who say that the squad lacks quality. How about Genge,Cole,May,Tuilagi,Veanu,,Denton,Thompson,Spencer,Toomua,Ford,Holmes to name a few.
In my opinion all that we need is a big ball carrying lock and a number 8 and possibly a big physical centre
Exactly. Look at our backline.

Youngs
Ford
Toomua
Tuilagi
May
Holmes
Veainu

4 from the 7 are England internationals, Toomua is an Australia international and Veainu would walk into pretty much every Premiership team.

Youngs is England's best scrum half, Ford is England's best fly half and together they are England's best half back partnership. May is a superb winger and Tuilagi is like no other that England can offer.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:21 pm Can not understand people who say that the squad lacks quality. How about Genge,Cole,May,Tuilagi,Veanu,,Denton,Thompson,Spencer,Toomua,Ford,Holmes to name a few.
Exactly. Look at our backline.

Youngs
Ford
Toomua
Tuilagi
May
Holmes
Veainu

4 from the 7 are England internationals, Toomua is an Australia international and Veainu would walk into pretty much every Premiership team.

Youngs is England's best scrum half, Ford is England's best fly half and together they are England's best half back partnership. May is a superb winger and Tuilagi is like no other that England can offer.
Yeah but compare the pack with the top 4 premiership teams and the players don’t look too great. Genge is a beast and would walk in to other teams. No one else would.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
It's what happens when you don't lay down any foundations in pre season and have no attacking game plan, no lineout or defensive structure when you parachute in a new head coach.

Our front row are the best in the AP at the scrum. Outside of the scrum?

Denton, Spencer and Thompson are good players. If we're being brutally honest though only one is an international and all three have been missing for chunks of the season. A significant chunk in Denton's case. If we make another three signings of similar quality next summer our pack will start to look pretty tasty.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Spencer is international quality, been in a few EPS and played in a Baabaas fixture, but I get your point.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Are we even linked with anyone???
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm Are we even linked with anyone???
Sam Carter. (TRP - although Fissler isn't exactly brilliant with Tigers atm)
Noel Reid.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Fissler been useless for ages with any rumour linked to Tigers. Or most other clubs for that matter. Not sure why a lot of people, especially on Twitter, take his patter as gospel
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Sorry guys, having read all of this. I realise now how wrong I am. The team is fine, the coaching has just been a tad iffy, the CEO is doing a cracking job. Glynn has cracked the academy. The Board have shown great insight in their recruitment and retention of DORs / Head Coach. The recruitment policy has been methodically planned. I'm just throwing a hissy fit after a poor first half of the season. The rest of the premiership clubs are fighting each other for most of our forwards. And there has been a flood of academy graduates over the last five / six years who have become regulars in the 1st XV - the last one being - Manu Tuilagi. Not a single academy graduate in the last five years has become a regular. In contrast to Exeter, Saracens, Harlequins, Wasps, Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Newcastle, Bath, Bristol, Northampton - yep that would be everyone else.

It's just that for me if you look at just about any relevant statistic about Tigers over the last five / six years I thought the trend was obvious. I can't think of any CEO (and that is Cohen's title) in any other business who would still be in his job given the performance of 'the product' during his tenure. I thought Glynn was 'Head of Rugby Operations'?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
Vunipola, George Koch
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Diamond quoted by Sky...

"Diamond said he is preparing to announce a string of contract extensions and the signings of five new internationals to take the club up to the cap and - he hopes - into the top four.

Those internationals will not include the Du Preez brothers, who only joined on short-term deals, but could include one England player."

And in the Grauniad:

"South African brothers Rob and Jean-Luc de Preez are due to leave the club when their short-term deals expire."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives