Mascots at Welford Road

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FredKite

Mascots at Welford Road

Post by FredKite »

Read this very disappointing article about charging for children to be a Mascot at their club (wendyball).
Can anyone confirm whether Tigers or any Premier League clubs make a charge for match day Mascots?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716
Tigerbeat

Re: Mascots at Welford Road

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
FredKite

Post by FredKite »

Thank you Tigerbeat. Seems despite criticism of the club at this rather difficult time we haven’t yet sunk to the level of revenue chasing that some Football Clubs have managed.
Quite surprised to see LCFC as one of the highest chargers for Mascots, slightly dents their reputation I would think. However good to see some of the supposed big clubs not charging.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FredKite wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:52 am Thank you Tigerbeat. Seems despite criticism of the club at this rather difficult time we haven’t yet sunk to the level of revenue chasing that some Football Clubs have managed.
Quite surprised to see LCFC as one of the highest chargers for Mascots, slightly dents their reputation I would think. However good to see some of the supposed big clubs not charging.
I still think we now charge for the privilege (other than special cases). The Tiger Cubs are a different thing selected in the JTC on the day.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The club do charge for mascots but they are given a matchday experience and a full kit as part of the package.....not overly charged is what I have heard.
www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Charging seems a very petty thing for the club to do, even if a match day experience and kit are included.

To charge is to NOT be inclusive, something I thought the club valued.
Valhalla I am coming!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think it's awful that the club charge kids for being a club mascot.
Only the better off parents can afford this for their children which makes it very elitist, we should be going to the local junior clubs and asking them to nominate one child per club per season, they could then nominate worthy children who's parent are not so well off to be mascots free of charge.
I am convinced Leicester Tiger are loosing their affiliation with the local clubs and communities and have become corporate. Very sad.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Some of the mascots get the opportunity through the JTC club at no cost....a draw. So it is not exlusive to those that can afford it.
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

But how much is it? I heard £50, is that correct?
Whilst asking, does it cost to be a big flag waver, big boot competitor and flag waver as guard of honour?
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I certainly believe it is rather shabby to charge for child mascots, whatever the sport
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont see an issue with a charge being made si long as it is within reasonof what is being recieved. The football club charges are way over the top and exploit the parents to the extreme.
Tigers are a business and not a charity.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm But how much is it? I heard £50, is that correct?
Whilst asking, does it cost to be a big flag waver, big boot competitor and flag waver as guard of honour?
They all come under group sales. Essentially any junior or group based activity is ultimately about marketing and getting “bums on seats”. Get a kid flag shaking etc and you’ve sold them a ticket and at least one adult ticket too. Same with match day coaching clinics, minis tournaments etc.

As for price, I’d hope it’s more than £50, otherwise I’d be really peeved at having to pay £85+ for a junior kit in the shop! :smt001
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Last season my Grandson and his under 11 squad from East Grinstead took part in a match day experience with the Tigers for which he received a morning coaching from a very good coach, a Q&A session with two Tigers first team squad players (Ok not the better known players) meal after training, ticket for the match in the Robin Hood stand and photo etc on the pitch. He loved it he is actually a Quins supporter but believe me when I say he was almost coverted to Tigers and now every week asks me how that got on. So if the cost was £50 (dont know actual cost) it was money well spent as he had a day to remember. Just as an aside the Club had done two similar days with Sarries previously and all agreed that Tigers were 300% better
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 pm I dont see an issue with a charge being made si long as it is within reasonof what is being recieved. The football club charges are way over the top and exploit the parents to the extreme.
Tigers are a business and not a charity.
You'd think people would get this by now wouldn't you?!

They want Tigers to "spend money on top quality players and coaches" yet when the club are doing things to make money to pay for it, they are wrong to exploit people.

For those that think £50 means people cannot afford it, I'd suggest that if you cannot afford that, then you shouldn't be spending money on attending the game anyway. How about you suggest to your child that they can be a mascot as part of their Christmas or birthday present? I suppose people who cannot afford £50 will be able to spend hundreds of pounds on their children for their birthday and Christmas. Also, if you cannot afford it, then your child unfortunately can't be a mascot. It's a great learning curve for them. You may want to be a mascot but we can't afford it and unfortunately in life, there are things that you may want but cannot have. It seems that people nowadays just want everything handed to them and feel they have a right to have it!

By the way, I don't earn much so I'm not being elitist etc. I've been brought up being told no to things that my parents couldn't afford which is why I understand that I cannot have things that I want and now as an adult, I only buy things I can afford or have been able to save for. There's many things that I've wanted but not had but that's life.
Last edited by ellis9 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm Last season my Grandson and his under 11 squad from East Grinstead took part in a match day experience with the Tigers for which he received a morning coaching from a very good coach, a Q&A session with two Tigers first team squad players (Ok not the better known players) meal after training, ticket for the match in the Robin Hood stand and photo etc on the pitch. He loved it he is actually a Quins supporter but believe me when I say he was almost coverted to Tigers and now every week asks me how that got on. So if the cost was £50 (dont know actual cost) it was money well spent as he had a day to remember. Just as an aside the Club had done two similar days with Sarries previously and all agreed that Tigers were 300% better
I agree. The experiences and coaching clinics are very good value. :smt001