Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by Louis »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm All I ask is for progress and improvement and in spirit, attitude, desire and defence it was there to see.

Issues with line out, attack and kick chase are also there for all to see but 2-3 weeks ago we would have got smashed on the scoreboard with the amount of defending and effort we had to put in.

If people think any Head Coach or DoR can wave a magic wand and make us brilliant then they are forever going to be disappointed because it’s a huge task to right the wrongs that have occurred over many years.

Not perfect, was always unlikely to be so, but there are improvements in key areas.

If we can get some consistency in the basics, we’ll be there or thereabouts around 4-6th at the end of the season and building for the future which is what I think is needed at the moment after a long period of decline
Two sensible posts in one sitting? I'm off for lie down. Something like reason could break out.
Louis

Post by Louis »

amazing tiger wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pm Jp Doyle did have a terrible game but we only have ourselves to blame. Fitzgeralds drop on the line and worth not kicking the ball put us in very bad positions. Baths back row was an international class back row and we couldn't compete at the breakdown this meant we were starved of the ball. Only positive was our defence
I thought the ref was on our side for about 20 mins or so at the start. I got very worried, as this was dangerously close to impartiality. However, my faith was restored later on in the game as tradition was re-established. ;-)
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 am
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm

"I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted."

Have you ever seen the 110m hurdles? That's how you jump over something/someone when you're running. You take off using one foot.
Yes precisely, rugby is a game of evasion, if players can't tackle properly then that's their problem!
If the tackler wraps his man with his arms then it's not an issue, but he didn't because he missed, and then Louw stepped over the diving tackler, play on and a try in my opinion, and the commentators also thought that so I'm in decent company!
You can't tackle a player who has jumped over you.

I don't care if the commentators share the same opinion as you. They're wrong too.

You cannot jump to avoid a tackle.
The missed arm wrap in the tackle came first in my opinion, so play on, the commentary also thought so.
We have a difference of opinion and that's fine, no drama!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 am

Yes precisely, rugby is a game of evasion, if players can't tackle properly then that's their problem!
If the tackler wraps his man with his arms then it's not an issue, but he didn't because he missed, and then Louw stepped over the diving tackler, play on and a try in my opinion, and the commentators also thought that so I'm in decent company!

I don't care if the commentators share the same opinion as you. They're wrong too.

The missed arm wrap in the tackle came first in my opinion, so play on, the commentary also thought so.
There can't be a no arms tackle as no tackle was made as Genge didn't touch him.

That's like saying a player should be punished when they attempt to deliberately knock the ball on but miss the ball!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:16 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 pm

There can't be a no arms tackle as no tackle was made as Genge didn't touch him.

That's like saying a player should be punished when they attempt to deliberately knock the ball on but miss the ball!
Where is the need to punish stuff that doesn't happen! :smt017
The tackle on Louw was missed so I can't see why Louw should be pulled up for leaping over the man, play on, in my opinion!
I'm now off to drink myself merry, have a good one! :smt023
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

BFG

the tackle was missed because he jumped over it :smt022 hence the try being disallowed. Had he not jumped the tackle would have been made.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tomvarndell wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:17 pm BFG

the tackle was missed because he jumped over it :smt022 hence the try being disallowed. Had he not jumped the tackle would have been made.
It comes down to being classed as 'dangerous play' (feet (studs) first) and therefore a penalty. The only time a player can jump is to dive for a try (body first).Plenty of video examples including TK and Rocky Elsom getting pinged for it.
Last edited by TigerCam on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The rule on jumping over a tackle is a difficult one, in that situation it was correctly enforced. My bugbear with the law is that players in the lower leagues and youth sections get pinged for jumping when stepping over an attempted tap tackle. I'm sorry but what else are you supposed to do in that situation? It's never a jump it's usually a little leap too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So. A glass of wine with posh Richard, Cambridge blue and second row first class and the following argument came up.

The game should have restarted with a Leicester scrum after SK fell from a great height late on in the game. It was pointed out that SK had to be pushed into the Bath line to compete for the ball and grab it simultaneously with their jumper. That being the case the throw would have had to have been not straight hence Tigers ball, scrum or line out throw in to Tigers.

Just another area where referees have gone bonkers.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 pm Just for a different 'take' on things, this tweet from Bath's Kit man...

"Total respect for Manu Tuilagi today. Last man left in @LeicesterTigers dressing room today, swept it clean and placed all rubbish in the bins. Even congratulated @bathrugby on our win! #unseenhero"

The accompanying pic shows Manu clearing up. Good for him!
Nice one Manu, have you re-signed with us or were you just showing the Bath staff what a good signing you would be for them? :smt048

Happy new year to you all for tomorrow.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tomvarndell wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:17 pm BFG

Cheers for putting my username in big letters, I'm just back and half cut and so might've missed it otherwise, this autocorrect thingy is good!
That was never a proper tackle attempt in my opinion and so play on, but that's fine if you don't agree, no drama here!
I thought it wrong to bring play back in this instance, commentators agreed with my view, JPD did not which I'm not sure gives me any further confidence that the right decision was made going on several other decisions!
By the way, congrats on the try scoring return Tom, miss any tackles! :smt047
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It’s only a tackle if contact is made. As no contact was made there is no legality issue to discuss.
If he had made contact then there’s little doubt that there would have been minimal chance of Genge making a legal tackle given his body position but there is no law requiring the arms to be held out in advance of the tackle.

You cannot jump over a tackle - that’s not changed in decades.

As for the Bath try how on earth did the officials manage to ignore their player crawling forward without releasing the ball and getting back to his feet after the tackle cost us a draw.

A big step again in defence and effort.
Certainly our big guys are found wanting in the loose. Do Kitchener or Fitzgerald ever get over the gain line.
Kalamafoni has been more dynamic this season but has fundamental flaws with his ball handling meaning all the effort is wasted when he coughs the ball up in the tackle.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

for those who are wondering about the law re feet off the ground - here it is - Law 9.17 – A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground. I can't find a law regarding jumping over a tackle though ???????
Hehehehehehehehe
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 am for those who are wondering about the law re feet off the ground - here it is - Law 9.17 – A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground. I can't find a law regarding jumping over a tackle though ???????
Not sure there is an explicit law about this...

https://rugbyreferee.net/2017/09/07/law ... mp-tackle/
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

teds wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 am
trendylfj wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:38 am for those who are wondering about the law re feet off the ground - here it is - Law 9.17 – A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the ground. I can't find a law regarding jumping over a tackle though ???????
Not sure there is an explicit law about this...

https://rugbyreferee.net/2017/09/07/law ... mp-tackle/
Thanks for the link but it has left me even more uncertain - it refers to jumping "into" a tackle but it could be argued that both Lowe and the eg they used (Williams) were not jumping into a tackle but jumping to avoid a tackle and in both egs no contact was made with the tackler. I think to ref any game has to be done under the laws and when a specific law does not exist what does a ref do to be right???
Hehehehehehehehe