Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by G.K »

MikeR wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm Some of the forwards (bar the front row) are not good enough at this level . Kalamofoni and Fitzgerald just make too many basic errors and the incompetence of the lineout beggars belief . As our marquee player you would expect that Toomua would have more influence on the game but is merely a spectator . As for Ben Youngs - has so much talent yet is slow and indecisive - he always seems to be outplayed by his opposite number these days . Defence is better , I think Kerr will make the grade , and another good game from GF - not much else could be called positive .
Yes that's about it.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm The forum is being over run by footy fans!
That was a gutsy performance today given the circumstances. Part of the rebuilding process.. a great defensive effort.........we've been moaning about poor defence for how long, the boys put a shift in against a top notch back row and still we moan.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room before I get very angry......Bill, where are you mate!
Well said. And they stuck at it when the Bath try decisions went against them (the second was a real killer).

Doyle had an interesting day, quite right about the illegality of the jump but then fails to tmo more obvious questions. What were his TJ's looking at? Stops the game for no injury, but allows play to head to a prone player resulting in a further injury. I presume some questions will be asked....
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 pmDoyle had an interesting day, quite right about the illegality of the jump but then fails to tmo more obvious questions. What were his TJ's looking at? Stops the game for no injury, but allows play to head to a prone player resulting in a further injury. I presume some questions will be asked....
AR called the knock on in the build up to Bath's 2nd try and, I believe, also mentioned it again after the try award - JPD ignored him by the looks of it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 pm
kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 pmDoyle had an interesting day, quite right about the illegality of the jump but then fails to tmo more obvious questions. What were his TJ's looking at? Stops the game for no injury, but allows play to head to a prone player resulting in a further injury. I presume some questions will be asked....
AR called the knock on in the build up to Bath's 2nd try and, I believe, also mentioned it again after the try award - JPD ignored him by the looks of it.
no JP claimed the knock on was caused by Worth not letting go of the ball and that's why he allowed it
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 pm
no JP claimed the knock on was caused by Worth not letting go of the ball and that's why he allowed it
And he could well be right, but not to review it to confirm? I note at least one newspaper report picks up on the commentators theme that the Lowe try should have stood because Genge made a 'no arms tackle'. This is nonsense as there was no tackle event, arms or otherwise, because Lowe jumped the tackle. While it is a bit old school to expect the dangerous play laws to be enforced, Doyle got that one right.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 pm I note at least one newspaper report picks up on the commentators theme that the Lowe try should have stood because Genge made a 'no arms tackle'. This is nonsense as there was no tackle event, arms or otherwise, because Lowe jumped the tackle. While it is a bit old school to expect the dangerous play laws to be enforced, Doyle got that one right.
He’d probably have been pinged for tackling a player in the air!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:49 pm
kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:32 pm I note at least one newspaper report picks up on the commentators theme that the Lowe try should have stood because Genge made a 'no arms tackle'. This is nonsense as there was no tackle event, arms or otherwise, because Lowe jumped the tackle. While it is a bit old school to expect the dangerous play laws to be enforced, Doyle got that one right.
I thought that was a try, if players are going to chop tackle then it's fair enough that attackers will try and step over it, otherwise we will be seeing more broken legs!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm The forum is being over run by footy fans!
That was a gutsy performance today given the circumstances. Part of the rebuilding process.. a great defensive effort.........we've been moaning about poor defence for how long, the boys put a shift in against a top notch back row and still we moan.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room before I get very angry......Bill, where are you mate!
Bill may not be around any more to support you Dai but I will. :smt023
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

G.K wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 pm Oh dear same, same old. Tactically poor, technically poor, brain dead Rugby yet again, an embarresment to the shirt really.

So many things wrong with the Tigers game, scrum aside, you could write a book about it:

'How not to play Premiership Rugby'.

End of 2018 and Tigers are worse than last year, which was worse than the year before... :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Spot on, unfortunately. Same old, same old, same old. The defense looked good today, but does that reflect the game of Tigers, or Bath. Good defense can win a game, but only when you have more points on the board. An occasional glimpse of hope, but never sustained. The positive in today's game was again, Ford. He needs some back-up.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Jp Doyle did have a terrible game but we only have ourselves to blame. Fitzgeralds drop on the line and worth not kicking the ball put us in very bad positions. Baths back row was an international class back row and we couldn't compete at the breakdown this meant we were starved of the ball. Only positive was our defence
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

You know some on here fail to understand the concept of support, through good, bad & change (return to the tigers way) the guys who play for this club put their bodies on the line for the team & we support.
Let's see if those who seem happiest at pulling certain players down on this forum can try to support.
Perhaps you may wonder why so many Tiger supporter's don't use this forum very much.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

All I ask is for progress and improvement and in spirit, attitude, desire and defence it was there to see.

Issues with line out, attack and kick chase are also there for all to see but 2-3 weeks ago we would have got smashed on the scoreboard with the amount of defending and effort we had to put in.

If people think any Head Coach or DoR can wave a magic wand and make us brilliant then they are forever going to be disappointed because it’s a huge task to right the wrongs that have occurred over many years.

Not perfect, was always unlikely to be so, but there are improvements in key areas.

If we can get some consistency in the basics, we’ll be there or thereabouts around 4-6th at the end of the season and building for the future which is what I think is needed at the moment after a long period of decline
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm
I thought that was a try, if players are going to chop tackle then it's fair enough that attackers will try and step over it, otherwise we will be seeing more broken legs!
So even though there's a law stating you cannot jump into tackles or over players to avoid a tackle, you thought it was ok

If they want players to tackle low, people jumping over tacklers need to be punished.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

So even though there's a law stating you cannot jump into tackles or over players to avoid a tackle, you thought it was ok

If they want players to tackle low, people jumping over tacklers need to be punished.
I don't particularly like the chop tackle.
The simple fact is that if players are going to dive head first only a couple of inches above the floor then it's to be expected that it's a natural reaction that stepping over the tackler to avoid the tackle will happen, so if the chop tackler doesn't use his arms properly to grab (misses) and relies on the force to bring the ball carrier down then it's his own fault if he gets stepped over by the ball carrier.
You may disagree and that's your prerogative, but for me I think this chop tackling will eventually end someone's career with a very serious (high profile) injury!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

But the point was Louw didn’t “step” over it, he jumped over it. Credit to Louw for recognising his own technical infringement.