Quins must win 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins must win 23

Post by drc_007 »

I notice the headline for the win over Quins is "Match report | Tigers end year with bonus-point win" https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/g ... 376154036f

So is the Bath match on 30th Dec not taking place or has the result been preordained?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

One lineout was lost because of two reasons:

1 - Tafu threw too late so Wells was being lifted down when the ball reached him.

2 - The jumpers lifted Wells too early.

Either way, still too panicky in the lineouts on the five.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Very happy with yesterday, Gustard predictably moaning about us slowing things down (see bbc website).

I don’t if I was the only one confused by the last 2 minutes, but when Quins were 35-19 down, about 2 minutes to go they had a penalty in front of the posts and tapped and went. Try scored under the posts but no conversion, this I took to be a penalty try but couldn’t understand how or why. Time for a restart allowed, which went our way, game over. I now find out that it wasn’t a penalty try, incredibly Quins opted not to take the conversion in order to get a quicker restart.

So, at 16 points down, i.e 9 points off a LBP, why did they go quickly, instead of taking the 3 with time for a try? After the try was given, when they still needed 5 points, why didn’t someone pop over a drop from in front of the posts to leave a target of just 3 while everyone else retreated for the restart?

Very poor game management at a crucial time, perhaps playing everything at pace isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Wasn’t there 1 second left on the clock? If so, and ball had gone dead after the conversion attempt then the ref would have blown to end the match.
Semper in excretia
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:59 am Wasn’t there 1 second left on the clock? If so, and ball had gone dead after the conversion attempt then the ref would have blown to end the match.
That is correct.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kalamfoni 21 tackles 1 missed
Fitzgerlad 18 tackles 1 missed
Williams 15 tackles 1 missed
Cole 13 tackles 1 missed

Makes a big difference when the forwards front up in the tackle department.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Cole 13 tackles one missed, totally dominated his opposing prop, several small runs with the ball plus one of about 20 metres, but he was penalised a couple of times, one a ridiculous decision but speedski says get rid of him. Why do people that obviously haven't attended the match feel they are qualified to comment?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:33 am I notice the headline for the win over Quins is "Match report | Tigers end year with bonus-point win" https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/g ... 376154036f

So is the Bath match on 30th Dec not taking place or has the result been preordained?
Probably refers to matches played at home I.e. last match this year at Welford Rd
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I thought Cole was good,seems to be hitting form again,but as for BY! I thought he was poor,some poor passes,dreadful kicks,passed when he should've kicked and vice versa. Is it a mental block maybe?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:44 am Cole 13 tackles one missed, totally dominated his opposing prop, several small runs with the ball plus one of about 20 metres, but he was penalised a couple of times, one a ridiculous decision but speedski says get rid of him. Why do people that obviously haven't attended the match feel they are qualified to comment?
Agree. I suspect if one asked Ellis, he'd say scrummaging against Cole at Oval Park and having such an amazing T/H partner on match days were two key reasons for his continued improvement. (A certain Boris might be up there too!) He certainly mullered his pal, Sinckler, from where I was sitting yesterday.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:44 am Cole 13 tackles one missed, totally dominated his opposing prop, several small runs with the ball plus one of about 20 metres, but he was penalised a couple of times, one a ridiculous decision but speedski says get rid of him. Why do people that obviously haven't attended the match feel they are qualified to comment?
I was there?

One match doth not make a man.

The 'couple' were all kickable - you don't mind if its on the extremes, but not when its almost direct in front all the time - especially with a kicker performing like Lang did yesterday.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:30 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:44 am Cole 13 tackles one missed, totally dominated his opposing prop, several small runs with the ball plus one of about 20 metres, but he was penalised a :smt017 couple of times, one a ridiculous decision but speedski says get rid of him. Why do people that obviously haven't attended the match feel they are qualified to comment?
Agree. I suspect if one asked Ellis, he'd say scrummaging against Cole at Oval Park and having such an amazing T/H partner on match days were two key reasons for his continued improvement. (A certain Boris might be up there too!) He certainly mullered his pal, Sinckler, from where I was sitting yesterday.
Since I started playing 46 years ago I have tried hard to understand the scrum and
I watch avidly to aid understanding, even attemptimg expanations to my wife who still thinks i know something about it. From my seat yesterday i thought there was a fairly even contest between the front rows but reading the posts about how we dominated their front row I realise I am still utterly bewildered and 46 years of followership has not helped one jot. 😂😂
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes it wasn't competitive at all! Quins came to do everything BUT scrummage and con Pearce (who fell for it once or twice). Marler consistently went straight to ground,poor attitude by Quin's at scrumtime!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Interestingly Chisholm is quoted as saying two 50:50 calls went against them which caused them the match. Not from where I was sitting. There were a few calls that could have gone the other way for both sides. That's how it goes. I think we were the better team and Quins came expecting a comfortable win. Well done the Tigers !!
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:03 pm Yes it wasn't competitive at all! Quins came to do everything BUT scrummage and con Pearce (who fell for it once or twice). Marler consistently went straight to ground,poor attitude by Quin's at scrumtime!
Now that I did spot so maybe have learned SOMETHING
As Good As It Gets