Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Ford

Post by wellstiger »

Ford for me is a keeper....
His reading of the game is quicker than some of his team mates. If they were on the same page we should prosper.

It appears to me he is Mr Marmite. If his name was Cipriani. some would be praising his talents and getting in a lather.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

wellstiger wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:33 am Ford for me is a keeper....
His reading of the game is quicker than some of his team mates. If they were on the same page we should prosper.

It appears to me he is Mr Marmite. If his name was Cipriani. some would be praising his talents and getting in a lather.
+1
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DingDong wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:24 am
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 pmOne of the best at playing on the gain line you say, now I've heard it all! :smt043
Stop reading this forum and start listening to podcasts eg Flats & Shanks, Big Jim and Andy Goode et al, these players will tell you how outstanding he is, and you never know - your unfounded prejudices may get altered! Ford kicks because he is told to kick for territory, have a word with the coaches if you're in doubt. Also, as for his gain line play, next time you watch him see how many times he draws a tackler and passes around that player creating gaps, or his timed flat passes, little dink throughs, underrated on here by some but not by the pundits.
I'm afraid he is as easy to read as a key stage one book.
It's down to the right recruitment and selection in my opinion, Ford is good at what he does, hard to stop if you have the right pieces in place elsewhere.
Goode wasn't much different only he was very fortunate to have the likes of Alesana to bulldoze.
The Leicester try at WR against Racing is what Leicester's attacking play is mostly about.
Leicester need to be more direct and earn the right to go wide a bit more in my opinion or select differently.
At Bath Ford had Joseph to preform on the outside arc and Banahan to bulldoze, limited but still hard to stop.
It'll take a lot of the right recruitment to get the right fit in my opinion.
Personally currently with Ford at 10 I'd be almost tempted to try Eastmond or another at 12, Toomua at 13 and Manu on the wing, if we want it to work more.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

wellstiger wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:33 am Ford for me is a keeper....

+2. Those outside him need to read him.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 pmOne of the best at playing on the gain line you say, now I've heard it all! :smt043
Stop reading this forum and start listening to podcasts eg Flats & Shanks, Big Jim and Andy Goode et al, these players will tell you how outstanding he is, and you never know - your unfounded prejudices may get altered! Ford kicks because he is told to kick for territory, have a word with the coaches if you're in doubt. Also, as for his gain line play, next time you watch him see how many times he draws a tackler and passes around that player creating gaps, or his timed flat passes, little dink throughs, underrated on here by some but not by the pundits.
It's down to the right recruitment and selection in my opinion, Ford is good at what he does, hard to stop if you have the right pieces in place elsewhere.
Goode wasn't much different only he was very fortunate to have the likes of Alesana to bulldoze.
The Leicester try at WR against Racing is what Leicester's attacking play is mostly about.
Leicester need to be more direct and earn the right to go wide a bit more in my opinion or select differently.
At Bath Ford had Joseph to preform on the outside arc and Banahan to bulldoze, limited but still hard to stop.
Personally currently with Ford at 10 I'd be almost tempted to try Eastmond or another at 12, Toomua at 13 and Manu on the wing, if we want it to work more.
BFG its good to see you have softened your condemnation of GF a little, please remember we have Toomua outside him and Manu to do the same as your 2 Bath guys, but as for Manu on the wing, then sadly again you are so wrong. Manu is a useless winger but a great attacking centre, with just 1 failing, that's his rushing up and breaking the defensive line.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:40 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:24 pm

BFG its good to see you have softened your condemnation of GF a little, please remember we have Toomua outside him and Manu to do the same as your 2 Bath guys, but as for Manu on the wing, then sadly again you are so wrong. Manu is a useless winger but a great attacking centre, with just 1 failing, that's his rushing up and breaking the defensive line.
Well that's a pretty big failing for a centre.
It's clear that Ford needs a bulldozing winger and you offer no sound tactical argument to the contrary.
We have seen it enough, those close finishes and missed chances, running out of space or into touch, as was the case versus Racing last weekend, symptomatic of the attributes required to help make Ford look a better playmaker than he actually is.
Offer up a positive tactical argument rather than stating others as simply being wrong, then perhaps I'll soften!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Difficult to get round the outside of the corner to the wing when the defending 12 and 13 are perpetually offside. Good linespeed my backside!
You need a 9, 10, 12 option that will snipe and chip to keep a defence honest. Being as sir seems totally inept at the task. That doesn't mean always chip, always snipe but have plan A B and C in order to get behind a defence. Against Racing we always tried to get round the corner. No variation??? (That's a question BTW)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Are you sure you are on the right forum. We are talking about the Tigers Number 10 George Ford. The guy whose stats are amazing considering our current run of results. Was he responsible for any of the tries conceded against Racing? How many poor passes did he make? etc...

I wasn't happy that George came back to the Tigers since I wasn't a big Ford fan but having watched him in every game he has played this season I would say he has been by far the best player for Tigers. I am positive if George was not our 10 then we would be at the bottom of the table now looking at relegation. Lets hope he keeps injury free or you might realise how good he is.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Wasnt at all happy when he came back.

He's proving his worth and routinely performing with passion and belief missing from the team.

We MUST start offloading out of the tackle - and he can help trigger that as the current pass, crash, sometimes ruck isn't the right way to play the game at pace.

I notice Ford isn't afraid to shout at them either.

He's very impressive at the moment. I'll go eat a hat. :smt005
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ford cutting down Sinckler too! :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Attacked the line with pace at times today and gave defenders decisions to make.
Been waiting too long to see it since the last time!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That try :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great effort by Ford. Quins ran hard at him and somehow he tackled guys like Sinckler. All season his penalty kicking to the 5 metre line has been exception- at Exeter and Sarries this would have resulted in tries which in turn would have changed results.
He is leading by example and now the team, like they did today, need to follow his example.
Burns was a favourite but Ford is class.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG were you watching today, you were obviously a FR forward and know nothing about FHs, he was superb today. :smt017
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Ford is class
Cipriani is class with attitude.
Fords goalkicking has improved out of all proportion-very valuable
Ciprianis kicking isnt as reliable.