Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: George Clancy

Post by chris111 »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 am ABClub,
Great post, totally correct, to many one eyed posters on here.
Agreed. The worst offenders for me are the preemptive whingers; the ones who as soon as they find out who will be officiating at the next match post something along the lines of “Oh, him...we’ll be playing against 16, he always does us over”!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:58 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 amit would be great if someday we could watch the ref reviewing the replay and have them explain why they did what they did.
It will never happen but I can wish
It does, every Monday usually at twickenham but only with the ref, his advisors and those that know the game better than most. His decisions and overall performance will be scrutinised, reports written, reports read from the teams coaches, 'work-ons' developed and during the week he will further develop his game. Be nice if some decisions were published though, what looks like a lottery to us is often a logical decision we don't see/understand.
I understand the theory but cannot for the life of me see that it is having any good effect as the same poor refs keep making the same poor decisions without any discernible improvement.

I suppose it may be stopping them becoming even worse!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am unfortunate enough to have the most one-eyed verbal commentary on the ref's performance going on most games from a couple who sit right behind me in the Crumbie. I sit on the 22 near the A & L stand and I defy anyone to see "that's not straight", he's offside", "Forward", "knock-on ref" etc etc when the play is down at the clubhouse end except a knock-on when it is so obvious to the whole world can see it. Yes, ref's do make errors and sometimes their reasoning is hard to understand but every rugby player I know will attempt to get an edge on the way the ref is doing his job. They can't see everything and neither can they penalise every offence but most do a reasonably good job and ABC is right, we don't complain when we win or criticise this decision or that decision, only when we lose. What I would like to see happen more is the refereeing team to work as a team and touch judges help the ref with the more important calls which didn't seem to happen last Sunday
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG recently suggested that I should go back to criticising refs, I cant remember saying anything against Clancy, but Owens is not very highly rated by me.

Serious question therefore, I don't keep records of Wins/Losses, so please can anyone tell me, have we ever won a game when either of these 2 have been reffing? If its a frequent occurrence then I may change my mind.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:24 pm BFG recently suggested that I should go back to criticising refs, I cant remember saying anything against Clancy, but Owens is not very highly rated by me.

Serious question therefore, I don't keep records of Wins/Losses, so please can anyone tell me, have we ever won a game when either of these 2 have been reffing? If its a frequent occurrence then I may change my mind.
Still no one has come up with a game we have won? Wonder why????
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

I’m rarely one to complain about referees unless there is fact behind it, as I believe they have a hard job to do and don’t get anywhere near enough support from their touch judges. I would say the inconsistency we see weekly is what drives the frustration of fans from all clubs and as we have seen in the European cup games, the inconsistency increases with the Celtic refs.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

2 Days now since I asked the question, can anyone find that elusive win with either of these 2 in charge?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm 2 Days now since I asked the question, can anyone find that elusive win with either of these 2 in charge?
22nd March 2008

EDF semi final

Tigers 34-24 Wasps

Referee: Nigel Owens
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:29 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 pm 2 Days now since I asked the question, can anyone find that elusive win with either of these 2 in charge?
22nd March 2008

EDF semi final

Tigers 34-24 Wasps

Referee: Nigel Owens
Haha, had to be an English winner there! :smt003
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Other notable dates:

7th April 2013
Toulon v Tigers
1/4 Final of Heineken Cup
We lost 21-15 with Clancy in charge but lost due to Toulon being too good, not because of the ref.

9th April 2011
Leinster v Tigers
1/4 Final of Heineken Cup
We lost 17-10 with Owens in charge but lost due to Leinster being too good, not because of the ref.

23rd May 2009
Leinster v Tigers
Final of Heineken Cup
We lost 19-16 with Owens in charge but lost due to Leinster being too good, not because of the ref.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We were just too good for Castres,didn't need a ref! :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thank you.