Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by mol2 »

It has to be a system problem.

There is enough quality in the line up of players.
Sure some of them have not been performing well but that would seem to be due to confusion as to the structure and what their role is. We see it clearly in defence but it's more than that.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

25tiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm [quote=ellis9 post_id=704056 time=1545164931
I’d hate to think where we’d be without GF, he’s dragged us through some games this season and he’s the top points scorer in the prem...
[/quote]

Absolutely - we’d probably be in the relegation spot now if it wasn’t for GF. I’m mystified as to the reason why some posters here are constantly getting at him. It often feels quite irrational, especially when it’s wrapped up into a general rant about the entire Ford family!

Personally I’m delighted he came to Tigers (despite my admiration for the contributions made by both Freddie B and Owen W). Come to that, at the risk of provoking apoplexy amongst the anti-Fordists, I’d not been unhappy if Dad were to come and join him at WR 🤫
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

chris111 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:00 pm
25tiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:37 pm [quote=ellis9 post_id=704056 time=1545164931
I’d hate to think where we’d be without GF, he’s dragged us through some games this season and he’s the top points scorer in the prem...
Absolutely - we’d probably be in the relegation spot now if it wasn’t for GF. I’m mystified as to the reason why some posters here are constantly getting at him. It often feels quite irrational, especially when it’s wrapped up into a general rant about the entire Ford family!

Personally I’m delighted he came to Tigers (despite my admiration for the contributions made by both Freddie B and Owen W). Come to that, at the risk of provoking apoplexy amongst the anti-Fordists, I’d not been unhappy if Dad were to come and join him at WR 🤫
[/quote]
"Anti-Fordists!" Hmm. You mean critics, methinks. I am not an ardent supporter of GF, and we supporters see some things in a different light to one another. That is our right, and has and will, always be the case.

There are some posters, and one in particular, who seem to wear rose tinted glasses, and although I am new to this particular site, I will always strive to be honest in my views, and stand by them. However, I do respect the views of other posters, and also some friendly banter.

Merry Xmas to one and all connected to this site.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I don't quite know why my above post got integrated, I did use the quote :smt031
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

[/quote]
"Anti-Fordists!" Hmm. You mean critics, methinks. I am not an ardent supporter of GF, and we supporters see some things in a different light to one another. That is our right, and has and will, always be the case.

There are some posters, and one in particular, who seem to wear rose tinted glasses, and although I am new to this particular site, I will always strive to be honest in my views, and stand by them. However, I do respect the views of other posters, and also some friendly banter.

Merry Xmas to one and all connected to this site.
[/quote]

Happy holidays to you and all here as well - let’s hope Sunday brings some much-needed cheer.

I’ve no problem with critique and differences of opinion - and I certainly would not dream of labelling anyone criticising GF as an ‘Anti-Fordist’! There have, however, been a number of posts in recent months that I have felt crossed over into personal attack. Actually mostly it is Joe that gets it rather than George...and I feel really uncomfortable with relish with which Joe is not so much criticised, but mocked. He is what he is - a #3 choice No 10 in a squad fully of under-performing top-flight internationals - and so singling him out seems to me to be a cheap shot.

The other defining feature of the ‘Anti-Fordists’ is that they feel the need to take aim at Dad as well. He’s not at the club, for goodness sake...so taking shots at him alongside George and Joe does give the appearance of irrational prejudice rather than reasoned critique.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

GF is dragging us through some games.
His kicking is up there with the best. He reads the game well behind a good platform.
He offers flat ball as does one Sips.
Since his last spell here he has improved tackling. Ok not the greatest tackler but he has stopped players in try scoring areas.
He does give 100% and is a great talker on the pitch.
I will not knock him for all the above reasons.

The problem with the team is we have some plodders who do not get back in defensive line quick enough at the break down.
Leaving gaping holes, then look bemused as to why the defensive line was broke.Or give silly penalties away when clearly the ref has been vocal.
Lineout has been our undoing for three seasons and is not getting better.
NONE of this can be squared at GF
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

What we need is quick, clean ball from the breakdown and GF will destroy the opposition. Also blocking the glaring gaps in defence might help. :smt003
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Ford plays so far back from the gain line that you could take your dog for a walk between them.
There is a huge area of green that doesn't get attacked.
He never mixes it up, inside ball, offload in behind, chip over the top etc.
The inside ball for forwards is the biggest fail for backrows like Thompson and O'Connor who possess pace, but the inside or direct threat also squares up a defence, something that Leicester and Ford as the playmaker aren't doing.
The attack is so limited its unreal that it is possible at this level in my opinion!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am There is a huge area of green that doesn't get attacked.
He never mixes it up, inside ball, offload in behind, chip over the top etc
Have we moved off topic - or is there another George Ford playing in the Prem?

That’s not the George Ford I see when I watch Leicester Tigers.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:21 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am There is a huge area of green that doesn't get attacked.
He never mixes it up, inside ball, offload in behind, chip over the top etc
Have we moved off topic - or is there another George Ford playing in the Prem?

That’s not the George Ford I see when I watch Leicester Tigers.
I cannot believe BFG assessment, its so wrong. :smt017
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

chris111 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm
Happy holidays to you and all here as well - let’s hope Sunday brings some much-needed cheer.
Saturday would do for me....
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am Ford plays so far back from the gain line that you could take your dog for a walk between them.
The inside ball for forwards is the biggest fail for backrows like Thompson and O'Connor who possess pace, but the inside or direct threat also squares up a defence, something that Leicester and Ford as the playmaker aren't doing.
The attack is so limited its unreal that it is possible at this level in my opinion!
Ford is one of the best at playing on the gain line, I suspect you only remember the occasions he drops back to kick.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

drc_007 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:42 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 am Ford plays so far back from the gain line that you could take your dog for a walk between them.
Ford is one of the best at playing on the gain line, I suspect you only remember the occasions he drops back to kick.
One of the best at playing on the gain line you say, now I've heard it all! :smt043
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

George Ford has played England u16s, England u18s, England u20s (world rugby young player of the year), England Saxons and England. In almost all of those squads he has occupied the flyhalf position, pushing Owen Farrell to the 12 spot. He’s currently the top points scorer in the prem. Obviously we shouldn’t pay attention to the facts though....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

BFG wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 pmOne of the best at playing on the gain line you say, now I've heard it all! :smt043
Stop reading this forum and start listening to podcasts eg Flats & Shanks, Big Jim and Andy Goode et al, these players will tell you how outstanding he is, and you never know - your unfounded prejudices may get altered! Ford kicks because he is told to kick for territory, have a word with the coaches if you're in doubt. Also, as for his gain line play, next time you watch him see how many times he draws a tackler and passes around that player creating gaps, or his timed flat passes, little dink throughs, underrated on here by some but not by the pundits.