Murphy appointed head coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm

New rumour, no idea where from but due to be confirmed shortly.

Brad Davies, new defence coach with a new attack coach coming in from Ireland.

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Tiglon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:20 pm

GM was a great Tigers player, but what has he genuinely achieved as a coach? If MOC wasn't good enough, how have the performances and results since then proved that GM is the right man for the job?

If MOC was on such thin ice that one defeat would mean sacking, why not just sack him months earlier and go after Gustard, who ticks the "ex-Tiger" box that seems a requirement, as well as being a proven top quality coach.

We're stumbling from one cock up to the next. I hope GM proves me wrong, but the evidence so far suggests he won't.

Dave Ellis or similar would be a somewhat positive step, probably as good as we'll find halfway through the season - but we've needed a good defence coach for at least 12 months, so why wait until now to desperately scratch around for one?

As others have suggested, everything just smacks of a complete lack of planning, strategy, or thinking ahead in any way whatsoever.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by RagingBull » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm
New rumour, no idea where from but due to be confirmed shortly.

Brad Davies, new defence coach with a new attack coach coming in from Ireland.
Yep his name is Matty O'Connor,

Being serious Davis and someone like say Nigel Carolan would be good additions.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by RagingBull » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 pm

wouldn't be surprised if the defence coach is someone not yet mentioned.

TTRITH
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Hoddesdon
Contact:

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by TTRITH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm
New rumour, no idea where from but due to be confirmed shortly.

Brad Davies, new defence coach with a new attack coach coming in from Ireland.
If Brad Davies comes in then thats a massive boost. An additional attack coach will be a fantastic boost as well!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by LE18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 pm

TTRITH wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:16 pm
New rumour, no idea where from but due to be confirmed shortly.

Brad Davies, new defence coach with a new attack coach coming in from Ireland.
If Brad Davies comes in then thats a massive boost. An additional attack coach will be a fantastic boost as well!
Will Ospreys let him go, how much is that going to cost us, and how well have Ospreys been doing?

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by ourla » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Didn't MOC want Davis but the BoD refused?
You're either in or you're out

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by LE18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm

ourla wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Didn't MOC want Davis but the BoD refused?
Probably Yes, that's because they wanted Davies. :smt001

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Tiglon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:14 pm

LE18 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm
ourla wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Didn't MOC want Davis but the BoD refused?
Probably Yes, that's because they wanted Davies. :smt001
If they refused to employ a decent defence coach because of spelling error, then they are truly useless.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by LE18 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Tiglon wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:14 pm
LE18 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm
ourla wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Didn't MOC want Davis but the BoD refused?
Probably Yes, that's because they wanted Davies. :smt001
If they refused to employ a decent defence coach because of spelling error, then they are truly useless.
There's a big difference between a Davis and a Davies! :smt052

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1501
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by trendylfj » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Excellent article by Andy Goode - well worth a read - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/murphy-m ... andy-goode
Hehehehehehehehe

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6582
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by jgriffin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm

trendylfj wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:40 pm
Excellent article by Andy Goode - well worth a read - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/murphy-m ... andy-goode
Nails it, but I bet they don't appoint Davis.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:04 pm

I thought Davis was the front runner to come in and sort out the defence. Surprised an announcement hasn’t been made yet to be honest.

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Tiglon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Agree with what Goode has written - but is Ford really on more than Williams and Burns together? Surely not! Maybe he means what they were on at Tigers, which probably wouldn't have been enough to keep them.

The idea of having committees to run this sort of business is ridiculous, and strikes me as the BoD playing at governance and self importance rather than allowing the experts they employ to have a firm grip on the operations, as is typical of out-dated organisations like the RFU and FA.

TTRITH
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Hoddesdon
Contact:

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by TTRITH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 pm

From Todays news conference wrote:"Both myself as head coach and Ged Glynn as director of operations, we need to aligned and clear, and have the rugby board in agreement about who we are bringing in and for what reasons.
Brilliant, so absolutely nothing changes. If Smurf wants one player and Ged wants another, who gets final say?

Trust Murphy, let him do it his way. Alternatively, stop hiding Ged in the shadow and just appoint him as Director of Rugby. At least that way he's in the firing line too! :smt013
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests