George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

George Ford

Post by Old Hob »

George Ford was quoted in the Times this morning along with Geordan who said the club was at its "lowest ebb in the time I have been here". He (Ford) said, that the players care, that it's not an "effort thing" and that it hurts to lose especially at home. More significantly he said; "Everyone is speaking about the defence. We have got other issues as well, to be honest."
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm George Ford was quoted in the Times this morning along with Geordan who said the club was at its "lowest ebb in the time I have been here". He (Ford) said, that the players care, that it's not an "effort thing" and that it hurts to lose especially at home. More significantly he said; "Everyone is speaking about the defence. We have got other issues as well, to be honest."
I like the brutal honesty, no attempt to sugar coat the situation.

He's right, two lineouts 5 from the try line being coughed up is criminal. We were slow to the breakdown and got turned over or had the ball slowed to a crawl far too often. It's not just the defence that needs tuning up.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I suspect he is hinting at wider discontent
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

It's the usual Tigers talk. They know the problem so sort it out.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:09 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm George Ford was quoted in the Times this morning along with Geordan who said the club was at its "lowest ebb in the time I have been here". He (Ford) said, that the players care, that it's not an "effort thing" and that it hurts to lose especially at home. More significantly he said; "Everyone is speaking about the defence. We have got other issues as well, to be honest."

He's right, two lineouts 5 from the try line being coughed up is criminal. We were slow to the breakdown and got turned over or had the ball slowed to a crawl far too often. It's not just the defence that needs tuning up.
Completely agree about being slow to the breakdown, our backrow hasn’t turned up yet this season (BOC aside).
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

25tiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 am

Completely agree about being slow to the breakdown, our backrow hasn’t turned up yet this season (BOC aside).
Guy Thompson?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Thompson and BoC should be used in tandem this weekend.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

4071 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am

Guy Thompson?
Guy Thompson has been a good player for us, big tackles and physical with the ball in hand, as has Denton in all fairness. But as I said we’ve struggled at the breakdown and it has hurt us.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

WiggoTiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 am It's the usual Tigers talk. They know the problem so sort it out.
That's clearly a pretty dumb statement.

Because clearly they have been training and discussing through the last few weeks to try to do this. And clearly if it was that straightforward, it would be done and we wouldn't be discussing it.

Coaching maybe a factor - it seems clear they are trying to get someone in to address this.

Player ability/skills may be an issue - though most of our players have shown they are good enough in previous seasons/clubs/internationally.

Confidence is clearly an issue. And we all know there is only one that will return... results.

Fitness...?

New laws...?

Anything else...?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ourla wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:20 am
WiggoTiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 am It's the usual Tigers talk. They know the problem so sort it out.
That's clearly a pretty dumb statement.

Because clearly they have been training and discussing through the last few weeks to try to do this. And clearly if it was that straightforward, it would be done and we wouldn't be discussing it.

Coaching maybe a factor - it seems clear they are trying to get someone in to address this.

Player ability/skills may be an issue - though most of our players have shown they are good enough in previous seasons/clubs/internationally.

Confidence is clearly an issue. And we all know there is only one that will return... results.

Fitness...?

New laws...?

Anything else...?
Belief in the mission. As Genge said pack mentaility was missing. Leadership from the very top and trust in that leadership absent.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

My main issue is primarily with the half backs not creating enough opportunity for the backs, who themselves look half lost in games. Youngs has rightly been dropped, and Ford has hardly been inspirational, kicking most of the time and wasting good ball. Lineouts have been poor, and the back three looking lacklustre. With Denton and Thompson playing we look much better, but injuries to them have not helped.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 pm My main issue is primarily with the half backs not creating enough opportunity for the backs, who themselves look half lost in games. Youngs has rightly been dropped, and Ford has hardly been inspirational, kicking most of the time and wasting good ball. Lineouts have been poor, and the back three looking lacklustre. With Denton and Thompson playing we look much better, but injuries to them have not helped.
Kicking most of the time? No. He hasn't.
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 pm My main issue is primarily with the half backs not creating enough opportunity for the backs, who themselves look half lost in games. Youngs has rightly been dropped, and Ford has hardly been inspirational, kicking most of the time and wasting good ball. Lineouts have been poor, and the back three looking lacklustre. With Denton and Thompson playing we look much better, but injuries to them have not helped.
Kicking most of the time? No. He hasn't.
I’d hate to think where we’d be without GF, he’s dragged us through some games this season and he’s the top points scorer in the prem...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

A comparison of George Ford v Racing 92 and against Scarlets (our best performance of the season)

George Ford v Racing 92
Points 4
Tries 0
Metres 36
Carries 14
Defenders Beaten 3
Clean Breaks 2
Passes 42
Offloads 2
Try Assists 1
Kick in play 12

George Ford v Scarlets
Points 20
Tries 0
Metres 33
Carries 4
Defenders Beaten 0
Clean Breaks 0
Passes 19
Offloads 0
Try Assists 0
Kick in play 11

Looking at that, he made more metres, made a lot more carries, beat more defenders, made more clean breaks, made more passes, completed more offloads and made more assists in the Racing game than he did vs Scarlets. He kicked the ball from hand 12 times v Racing and 11 vs Scarlets.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

25tiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am
4071 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am

Guy Thompson?
Guy Thompson has been a good player for us, big tackles and physical with the ball in hand, as has Denton in all fairness. But as I said we’ve struggled at the breakdown and it has hurt us.
Kalamafoni has also had a decent season...so that makes four indiviuals who have been performing well. The conclusion to this, surely, is that there is a systemic problem with the tactical approach to the breakdown. As an ex-winger I would not be presumptuous enough to speculate what the problem might be. Any thoughts, anyone?