Tigers v Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Racing

Post by sapajo »

Ben Youngs is not at the races these days but being short of pace is not one of his weaknesses.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 am Ben Youngs is not at the races these days but being short of pace is not one of his weaknesses.
All the pace in the world won't matter if a player is a bit scared of being tagged around the fringes of those rucks!
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

I am a Leicester Tigers SUPPORTER.
Which means that either good or bad form I will support them and will continue to do so. From my perspective our “troubles” started long ago when Deano was removed. Since then the ability of the coaches and the board to support a progressive agenda for development has diminished. We should not be about individual factions just all about the squad. Right attitude on their part right support by everybody else.
For me the need to play hard and when they have done that play harder. All for each other.
I hope the board can provide the right support now and put in place the best for Tigers. The squad and the supporters deserve the best and we collectively need to provide the very best support.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

upandunder wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 am I am a Leicester Tigers SUPPORTER.
Which means that either good or bad form I will support them and will continue to do so. From my perspective our “troubles” started long ago when Deano was removed. Since then the ability of the coaches and the board to support a progressive agenda for development has diminished. We should not be about individual factions just all about the squad. Right attitude on their part right support by everybody else.
For me the need to play hard and when they have done that play harder. All for each other.
I hope the board can provide the right support now and put in place the best for Tigers. The squad and the supporters deserve the best and we collectively need to provide the very best support.
I am a Tiger's fan come good or bad, however it does not stop me from being sad and remembering the good times
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Absolutely. Sad times. But hope spring eternal etc.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I haven't read all the thread and what I have read I agree with in terms of the teams poor attacking threat especially from 10.

a couple of points though. I think the man we really miss is Denton. He was bought as the big ball carrier. with him and Genge in tandem that would allow the likes of Spencer and Wells to get more into the game. so let's just hope he is back soon.

the other thing is the scrummage. I cannot bear referees like Clancy who allow teams to cheat at the scrum and blatantly either let illegal activity go or worse still give penelties the wrong way. Times we drove racing off the ball who then collapsed it, then we had to play the ball. This has happened a lot this year. For those who think scrummaging is in some way boring let me remind them why it is there. The scrum exists to tie 8 men into one place to give the 7 backs the space to run into. The longer the forwards are tied in going backwards the better for the attacking backs. Especially if the back row is tied in.
It also tires out big front 5 forwards who cannot gallop about the park tackling people (I know I speak from 30 years of experience)
please god (or santa) give us a referee (for christmas and beyond)who can referee a scrum properly who will whistle these cheats of the park and give credit to those who deserve it like Cole and Genge and a great coach in Stank. w e may then have a possibility of running fast men into space inseam of the brick wall of men who have never been asked to do their primary job.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree with much of what Mightymouse says particularly about the standard of refereeing the scrums and I would add offside. Since Geordan control of game affairs in attack when we have had a full complement of our first choice backs we have been much better unfortunately too often there seems to be a fifteen minute slot when we lose concentration and concede a clutch of tries. That should be easy to fix as after that we defend much better, I suggest a Cocker style bum kicking is in order to aid concentration. I do not agree with the singling out of the 10 position it is a team game and any problems are collective. I honestly believe we have barring injury the best squad we have had in many years with greater depth than the recent past and the promise of talented youngsters about to push their way into contention. We need a win against Quins to start the change of form to mark Geordan Murphy's confirmation as Head Coach. Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to all Tigers Fans success is on the way :smt038
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 am I agree with much of what Mightymouse says particularly about the standard of refereeing the scrums and I would add offside. Since Geordan control of game affairs in attack when we have had a full complement of our first choice backs we have been much better unfortunately too often there seems to be a fifteen minute slot when we lose concentration and concede a clutch of tries. That should be easy to fix as after that we defend much better, I suggest a Cocker style bum kicking is in order to aid concentration. I do not agree with the singling out of the 10 position it is a team game and any problems are collective. I honestly believe we have barring injury the best squad we have had in many years with greater depth than the recent past and the promise of talented youngsters about to push their way into contention. We need a win against Quins to start the change of form to mark Geordan Murphy's confirmation as Head Coach. Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to all Tigers Fans success is on the way :smt038
Although I agree we have been at the wrong end of some refs recently, however our terrible current form is not due to bad reffing and goes much much deeper within the club
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think criticism of George Ford is way off the mark - he has been one of our best and most consistent players this Season . His touch kicking on Saturday was exemplorary and it wasn't his fault that the forwards yet again cocked up attacking line outs . Kitchenor's recall was hardly a success - not secure on our own throw and no effort to compete on the Racing throw . Defence Coach desperately needed !
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me Fordy was excellent against Racing save that horrendous pass he threw when we were attacking 5 meters from their try line that went miles behind all our back line. The result was a complete waste of a try scoring opportunity and we were left scampering to collect and retain the ball having squandered another opportunity to convert pressure and position into points.

We simply cannot afford these lack of basic skill errors the worst being missed tackles, not looking after the ball and kicking it away when we have run out of ideas and or options down the throats of a fast counter attacking opponent.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

That was a bad moment sapajo, and highlighted Tigers issues on the gain line around that half back area.
It's been evident for ages, the inside ball option from Leicester is non-existent, it's impossible for forwards to get into position on an inside line onto passes off the fly half when he is ten metres back from the gain line constantly, it's never an option.
Also from the ruck with no direct threat in behind from the scrum half it's so easy to read and in turn affects the forwards and the 10's time and options.
The ability to gain momentum and split the defence is very difficult.
Another topic is discussing our breakdown woes, a lack of momentum is the biggest cause in my opinion.
These issues interlink.
Eastmond works better alongside as he has evasion skills but even he was starting to get tagged as teams had worked it out, it's such a limited gameplan.
All in all much easier to defensively read and decision make against a team with such a limited attacking gameplan.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sapajo wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 am For me Fordy was excellent against Racing save that horrendous pass he threw when we were attacking 5 meters from their try line that went miles behind all our back line. The result was a complete waste of a try scoring opportunity and we were left scampering to collect and retain the ball having squandered another opportunity to convert pressure and position into points.

We simply cannot afford these lack of basic skill errors the worst being missed tackles, not looking after the ball and kicking it away when we have run out of ideas and or options down the throats of a fast counter attacking opponent.
Agree with this. I would add that the reason for shelling out the big bucks for "top" players is that, you hope, they will be more likely to get it right at key moments when under pressure. Sadly Ford didn't manage that on Sunday and neither did a few others.