Dear Murphs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by DingDong »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pmApparently RC being sacked devastated both Genge and Cole. I would suggest it is the Youngs who might be fixtures in this.
And your evidence? Have you spoken to both Youngs about their own devastation at RC being sacked?

You don't think Cockerill's decline over the previous seasons (remember his plan B? oh wait - there wasn't one!) had anything to do with it? or how he himself fell out with players and denied them progress, Balmain a good example. Your blind loyalty is admirable, but your understanding of why he had to go is non-existent apparently. As mentioned previously, Cockerill went to Toulon with a new and much less stubborn approach, he had to because the talent there weren't going let him just smash the ball up until they were worn out, he then took what he learnt from Toulon to Edinburgh where I hope he enjoys even more success because he IS a great coach. He went stale at Tigers, simple as that, no-one to blame but himself.

Murphy on the other hand has added nothing over the years, his post match interviews demonstrate his lack of passion as a coach, which also reflects in the team performance. However I hope he lasts the season before he is sacked or demoted.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I don't think Murphy has the right experience to deal with the litany of issues running through the club. It's as simple as that for me. It would be a huge job for even the most experienced Head coach.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

There is no simple solution to where we are at the moment. But there does appear to be a serious dip in the confidence of the players. In years gone by, we may have been a couple of tries down, but our heads wouldn’t drop and the on field leaders would say what needed saying to keep attitudes right.
In addition to the Defence Coach, do we also need someone to work on the psychological side? We have a good squad of players and whilst their training drills and skills can be worked on by the respective coaches could the small margins be helped by an alternative view, someone in the mould of Dave Brailsford.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

I keep reading the word stability. We need stability. Now would someone explain what that means? To me, it implies staying where you are. To me, stability is the last thing you need. What we need is progress rather than stability, moving forward not staying where we are. With some of the definitions of stability we are doomed. Our current defensive set up is stable. The problem is that it's staying bad! As a player, as a man and as a reflection of the Tigers club I adore Geordan but he is at least one step too close to the current squad as a player. Cockers was close, but not so much and still didn't suit many people. Being an ex Tiger should not rule anyone out, in fact of the right generation would be a positive thing but they need to be clear of the influence of the current playing squad. Anyone we bring in MUST be in charge 100%, not a lackey of the Board. Stuff stability, let's make progress.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well I'd worked it out last December, others have taken longer and all we've done is wasted another 3 months and become worse.

Sorry, but legend that he was as a player, Murphs simply has to go along with some others and that means players, coaches and execs - all the way to the top.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Geordan just is not up to the job.
Sorry, its as simple as that. The ( lack of) coaching is dire.

The back play is truly abysmal.
As for the back 5 forwards, GT excepted, heaven help us. The weakest ever at the Tigers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

As much as I feel sick saying it but Murphy is worse than MoC and that's FACT!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:16 am As much as I feel sick saying it but Murphy is worse than MoC and that's FACT!
Statistically yes. Respect of the playing squad absolutely not.

For me I would keep Murphs for the time being (not least because the problem isn't his - the board is not letting him have the right of saying whats needed or what should happen - Kay definitely meddles far more than he should).

Lets get the right support coaches round him - Stanko stays, Murph stays, the rest goes.

We stop picking people based on their seniority and start picking on form and function - heck how many of us were saying Jonah was a better scrum half than any of the others actually employed to do that job. YBY needs to be challenged for his spot - we need to remove the entitlement and drive the position based on performance - the team would be respected so much more for this approach by the fans - Tom Youngs just isn't cutting it, Polota Nau should have stayed in Oz - I actually think the only reason he's come back is her was :censored: dire for NSW too! We also need to stop resigning players who CLEARLY only want to stay a season or two and move on - that is giving us foundational team structure issues.

We also need to introduce the pop ball approach to our game, theres currently no standing on the shoulder of the attacking player ready to take it forward - its scrum half, fly half forward crash ball. And it doesn't work.

The lack of width in our game today is absolutely astonishing - JM hardly got the ball at all last night - wasn't even at the races.

We need to go back to the basics - get the right foundations and build on it. Sure the refs are causing issues but quite frankly thats an excuse - the game isn't right, the structures toxic and the insistent loyalty and seniority over anything else is ruining us.

Failing that - do a Harlequins and clear it out, build it up. Either or will be better than the current plan.

Let's face it, when you resign Manu and your social and press material is based on it, its almost like that was us saying we dont care about the rest, we've got this one player and thats all that matter (despite the fact he was seriously mediocre last night).
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I think Speedski makes some fair points. As much as our emotions might want change i don't think it will happen in coaching terms. To do so would take the Board to admit they had got it wrong for a third time (Mauger,MOC,Murphy) and I just do not see that level of leadership at Board level.

For me the CEO has a much wider remit than the rugby, acknowledging rugby is the core business of the club. The lack of leadership and support at Board level comes from the people in the apporpriate roles, namely Underwood, Glynn and Kay. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the strategy and support offered to coaches and players by these 3 people and if change is going to happen I think that is where it is needed. Having said that 2 are ex Tigers so based on views expressed here I am not too hopeful.
As Good As It Gets
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

Im not sure I want stability, I want progress..... the threat of stability at this current level is not worth thinking about. We would become worcester.

RE: DEAR MURPHS
Unread post by Dr H Flashman MBE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Not sure that would bring any stability.
I fact I would suggest it would capsized an already unstable ship.
Also who comes in?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Boris for Head Coach? I'm serious; ex player so 90% qualified according to the board, hammered the best scrum in the league out of a fairly unimpressive bunch of forwards and you'd have to be insane to want to get on his bad side.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:39 am I think Speedski makes some fair points. As much as our emotions might want change i don't think it will happen in coaching terms. To do so would take the Board to admit they had got it wrong for a third time (Mauger,MOC,Murphy) and I just do not see that level of leadership at Board level.

For me the CEO has a much wider remit than the rugby, acknowledging rugby is the core business of the club. The lack of leadership and support at Board level comes from the people in the apporpriate roles, namely Underwood, Glynn and Kay. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the strategy and support offered to coaches and players by these 3 people and if change is going to happen I think that is where it is needed. Having said that 2 are ex Tigers so based on views expressed here I am not too hopeful.
My view too.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Do something, Murphs, to sort this mess out. No, of course you can't, because it's too much for one man to handle.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

As a general comment we don’t really know what goes on behind closed doors. We don’t really know about the BOD or Glynn or if there are cliques in the squad or who is pulling the strings but what really cheeses me of is being treated like children waiting to find out what the christmas goodies will be. GM is telling us there are international and domestic signings completed so for gods sake tell us who if they are done deals already. It’s pathetic and the way to handle loyal and patient supporters. If you can’t say then at least give us a plausible reason why.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Dear Murphs

Time to get the hair dryer out..............

Bench the end of season leavers - they are offering NOUGHT....

Do the testosterone thing ( can't say manly- sexist) stomp into BOD office and give them an A--se kicking.

Stop talking cods wallop to the press and offering soundbites - tell it how it is.

Maybe just maybe the supporters/fans and posters will get behind you...

Heaven forbid - the players aint on recent performances

Yours sincerely Papa Noel.