Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Racing

Post by WiggoTiger »

tigerssteve wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:24 pm Loyalty to the shirt!!! :smt030 :smt031
What does that mean? Loyalty to the shirt? Fans or players? Tiger since 1968 and also proud. Also a realist.
It was a tongue in cheek comment!!
Relating to the genge comment.
I'm loyal to the shirt and club, sadly some on the pitch don't seem to care. I'm a realist relegation looms and years of mediocrity heading our way
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes and you could see it coming! We weren't gonna stay at the top forever but we could've been saved from falling off the cliff with a bit of nous! The turning point for me was when Cockers went,we should have either stuck with Mauger or gone down the world class DOR route. Moc should have NEVER been brought back,then we wouldn't have this problem with Murphy having to take the job when clearly he's not good enough.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Not sure where all the Youngs/Ford rubbish has come from, Youngs has been dropped for the last 2 weeks and the game was certainly gone before he came on and Ford showed more passion than most today, at least he made his tackles vs their 3 and 5.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

kend wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:54 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:00 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm The club doesn’t need to get rid of all the coaches :censored:

It’s what has caused this problem to begin with.

As Genge said sacking so many coaches and players causes teams to lose that pack mentality.

Tigers need to be patient bring in some senior people who know how rugby players think at put them in at DOR. Let go of the players who are out of contract who are not performing, and work from there.

Another mass clear out will result in just more :censored:.
This!

Need time for Geordan to develop the culture. Add some experience alongside to provide guidance. The difference today was some soft tries and two lost lineouts on the 5m line. We tighten up and become a bit more clinical and results will come. It's just that tightening up defensively that needs to happen quickly.
Completely agree. Our present situation arises from instability - 4 coaches in two years is bound to give you a team made up of different coaches visions/beliefs. Look at what Genge has to say (got to love his straight talking...). Murphy has a lot to sort out, and do so under immense pressure to perform immediately.

The questions for the board to answer are (i) do the current coaching team have a coherent plan for a league position (are the target games realistically winnable; are there remedial actions in place for tactical problems like the lineout; what contingency is there to avoid a relegation battle); (ii) are the players responding well to Murphy; (iii) is Murphy developing a clear idea of how Tigers are to move forward. Unless there is sufficient doubt about the answers, then you stick with the programme because you can't say how the team would react to further mid-season change.

IMHO fix the lineout, everything looks better. There are positives from the second half and the team certainly need to take the positives.

For those shouting about skills coaching, I guarantee you everything will be working fine on the training pitch. But add the opposition, performance pressure and lack of confidence, what you get is Tigers current performances. IMHO.

As that great philosopher Mike Tyson said, "we all have a plan until we get punched in the face". Or something along those lines. Game time is when it matters. Pretty on the training ground wins no games.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:05 pm
tigerssteve wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:24 pm Loyalty to the shirt!!! :smt030 :smt031
What does that mean? Loyalty to the shirt? Fans or players? Tiger since 1968 and also proud. Also a realist.
It was a tongue in cheek comment!!
Relating to the genge comment.
I'm loyal to the shirt and club, sadly some on the pitch don't seem to care. I'm a realist relegation looms and years of mediocrity heading our way

Sorry. I should have spotted the tongue in cheek. Sadly you may be right but hope not. It can be changed around quite quickly with the right moves. We have a decent squad, too good for relegation, but lack belief, commitment and seem to have a knack of conceding soft tries which has to stop. Now!
No8

Post by No8 »

Just got back from the match with my lad, drove the whole journey in complete silence. Just feel so sad at what has happened to my club.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:50 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:41 pm I know he doesnt want to be involved in management but could Johno just come in and 'talk to' the squad :smt003
we don't need more jobs for the boys there are too many ex Tigers on the staff already it needs someone not connected to come in and put right the problems that this lot cannot or will not see, the "Tigers way" has been broken for a long time
I think the trouble is that we are not playing 'the Tigers way'. What we need is charismatic leadership, somebody the squad would follow without question. Thats a strong personality who has utmost respect. I wasnt suggesting any permanent position but perhaps he could put some fire into them and some 'pack culture' as Gengey said was missing. Thats why I suggest Johno 'having a word' with the squad might help. I wouldnt expect him to be a buddy.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:34 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:50 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:41 pm I know he doesnt want to be involved in management but could Johno just come in and 'talk to' the squad :smt003
we don't need more jobs for the boys there are too many ex Tigers on the staff already it needs someone not connected to come in and put right the problems that this lot cannot or will not see, the "Tigers way" has been broken for a long time
I think the trouble is that we are not playing 'the Tigers way'. What we need is charismatic leadership, somebody the squad would follow without question. Thats a strong personality who has utmost respect. I wasnt suggesting any permanent position but perhaps he could put some fire into them and some 'pack culture' as Gengey said was missing. Thats why I suggest Johno 'having a word' with the squad might help. I wouldnt expect him to be a buddy.
The 'Tigers Way' went out of the window many seasons ago when other clubs: a. sussed the Tigers out and b. found a better way to play the 'modern' game. The Tigers have, IMO, failed to address both! IMO the club need a big clear out of the stuffed shirts that control the club. The Tigers need a someone with a big stick and small carrot to shake the :censored: out of the current club ethos.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

25tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:09 pm Not sure where all the Youngs/Ford rubbish has come from, Youngs has been dropped for the last 2 weeks and the game was certainly gone before he came on and Ford showed more passion than most today, at least he made his tackles vs their 3 and 5.
Agreed Ford was again one of our better players. His cover tackles saved at least two tries and he put his body on the line. The tactics were to move the Racing pack around and that at times worked ok, certainly for our try.

Laughable that the suggestion is to bring Toomua to 10 when he is not close to his best form. Quite frankly if Eastmond hadn't been an idiot and got himself suspended Toomua might be benching.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:21 pm
25tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:09 pm Not sure where all the Youngs/Ford rubbish has come from, Youngs has been dropped for the last 2 weeks and the game was certainly gone before he came on and Ford showed more passion than most today, at least he made his tackles vs their 3 and 5.
Agreed Ford was again one of our better players. His cover tackles saved at least two tries and he put his body on the line. The tactics were to move the Racing pack around and that at times worked ok, certainly for our try.

Laughable that the suggestion is to bring Toomua to 10 when he is not close to his best form. Quite frankly if Eastmond hadn't been an idiot and got himself suspended Toomua might be benching.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I am definitely watching a different game to you pair!
In attack Tigers game is so predictable that even the laziest defensive line can drift at serious pace with absolutely no threat on the inside line to check the drift.
Tigers are attacking in one zone, outside G Ford, allowing the wave of cover tacklers to chase across outside breaks, they know exactly where to try and cover!
Make Ford check in and he'll hoof the ball away, utterly predictable!
As for defensively, a system is only as good as its components, it's a catch 22.
The forward/back trade off in covering space has been evident since Ford arrived back, do your job right and stay tight enough up front and Ford can be driven ten or twenty metres back and the entire defence is turned or overspread to try and stop that threat and be exposed themselves.
It's all over the place and they can't win whatever they do as they are simply being asked to do too much!
How on earth this is not being noticed is beyond me!
Last edited by BFG on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Warburton’s comment that Tigers missed 7 tackles in the first 20 mins was very telling... :smt010
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 pm

In attack Tigers game is so predictable that even the laziest defensive line can drift at serious pace with absolutely no threat on the inside line to check the drift.
Tigers are attacking in one zone, outside G Ford, allowing the wave of cover tacklers to chase across outside breaks, they know exactly where to try and cover!
As for defensively, a system is only as good as its components, it's a catch 22.
The forward/back trade off in covering space has been evident since Ford arrived back, do your job right and stay tight enough up front and Ford can be driven ten or twenty metres back and the entire defence is turned or overspread to try and stop that threat and be exposed themselves.
It's all over the place and they can't win whatever they do as they are simply being asked to do too much!
I agree we were definitely watching a different game if you think our attack was stuttered because of George Ford. Couldn’t be anything to do with the slow ball from the breakdown, the inability to take advantage of an overlap and the double stack we’ve been using for the last 3-4 years... :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The defence is a mess but Racing didn't even target Ford. They ran dummy lines knowing both our centres would jump out the line and leave the winger in no man's lands defending an overlap. As soon as Toomua steps in everyone else does and Toomua blitzed all game with no real success.

Two tries came directly from forwards not setting their guards and bodyguards and the Racing half backs running through the holes.

I hope we announce an experienced defence coach tomorrow.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

25tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:56 pm

I agree we were definitely watching a different game if you think our attack was stuttered because of George Ford. Couldn’t be anything to do with the slow ball from the breakdown, the inability to take advantage of an overlap and the double stack we’ve been using for the last 3-4 years... :smt023
Yet Toomua brings a direct threat to the line and with it a varied attack which puts doubt amongst the opposition defenders during the last 6N, and Leicester look a different team.
Leicester need to start attacking the line from 9 and 10 and create doubt amongst defenders.
It's so obvious that it's unreal that it's still an issue, anyone who can't see it is clueless!