Genge in the Telegraph

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge in the Telegraph

Post by Scott1 »

I can't get on board with Joe! This is a guy who retired from England duty to send more time with his family (which I totally respect) and for a quiet life but the guy sure isn't staying in the background! I've saw at least half a dozen different article where he's got something to say about something or other,can't have it both ways Joe!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:00 pm I can't get on board with Joe! This is a guy who retired from England duty to send more time with his family (which I totally respect) and for a quiet life but the guy sure isn't staying in the background! I've saw at least half a dozen different article where he's got something to say about something or other,can't have it both ways Joe!
I agree! I've thought the same thing! He retired from England to spend more time with his family but now he seems to be doing media stuff left, right and centre.
However, being part of an England squad probably still takes up more of his time than all of this media stuff.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 pm I've heard of 'brutal honesty' but.......wow.
If only politicians did the same?

If that is how he sees it, and he obviously does, so be it who are we to judge? If he thinks there is some club with supporters that will not have a whinge then he has overdosed on the left overs of Austin Healy's painkillers - not that there are many of them?
Last edited by TigerCam on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

This is ironic because Genge is probably the supporters favourite. I dont think anyone has said a bad word about him. So yes, take into account what he says and :censored: well get rid of Cohen and Glynn immediately.
Thats it in a nutshell.
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Just didn’t seem relevant.

On topic though, interesting that the buzzword of the decade, culture is being thrown around quite a lot recently. Culture is developed by a leader and based around having a unified vision/purpose/goal, I wonder what GM’s goal for the squad is this season? Is it top 6, top 4 or even more?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Well according to Flatman and Monye, players join clubs for money. Everything else, such as a nice training ground, is a bonus.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Excellent article - refreshing to hear a player saying just what he thinks rather than the 'toe the line' drivel that we have to read on a regular basis .
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ok so after readying all that, at next contract is he Staying or Going ? :smt017
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:54 am
kend wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:30 am
They say it is the greatest job in the world – you :censored: go and run into a 150kgs Samoan for a living. I’ve ripped my shoulder off the bone. I’ve got no cartilage left in my knee.
3 pages of comment and no words on this. He's 23 and has already had a meniscus removed (at least I assume that is what he means by 'cartilage') and a major shoulder repair. When the medics say a decent level rugby match is like putting your body through a car crash, they mean it.

Be angry with the BoD, Cohen or whoever, but don't doubt for a second that the players deserve every penny they get.....
Joe Marler disagrees with you

https://www.ruck.co.uk/watch-joe-marler ... -the-game/
Thanks for the link. Interesting, but not really. He and Goody are saying that player salary demands have to be sustainable in terms of club revenues which is obvious. I doubt they would disagree with the statement that players, in the context of the personal costs, risks and short career of pro rugby, deserve every penny they get.

And, actually, it is the clubs that set the market, not the players (it must be the very definition of a scarce skill environment?). For Hughes to be worth £500K, someone has to be willing to pay it. Similarly an 'average' player will presumably attract an 'average' wage, which according to the data I've seen is £200K in the Prem.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The article was a particularly annoying reminder to me that in the current circumstances it might be pretty handy to still have Slater, McCaffery, Burns, Williams and Betham.
Sure they cost but are they more than G Ford, J Ford, Owen, Eastmond and May!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

OW is on more money than all but G.Ford.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

They would be a similar combined total, G Ford easily covers two.
Is any wonder that the continuity is lacking, the spirit is lacking, and depth is lacking with such poor recruitment!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 pm They would be a similar combined total, G Ford easily covers two.
Is any wonder that the continuity is lacking, the spirit is lacking, and depth is lacking with such poor recruitment!
That's because George Ford is much better than the players he replaced.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well done Genge. Great to have someone tell it how it is. When we celebrated the Anglo Welsh Cup with him( and other fans and players at The Stoop) you could see what it meant to win the cup. Immediately afterwards The Board devalue the squad’s efforts by sacking the coach and many fans tut tutted, “Its only the Mickey Mouse Cup.”
I, believe Genge, like myself believes every game should be won and every Cup is worth winning. He was rescued by Cockerill ( again my wife and I never wanted him to go as he just needed the right support) and stated his utter shock when Richard was sacked. Keep Geordan and most of the players we now have and, survive this season before really pushing on next with just one or two additions. Sadly, one of our enforcers, Williams, looks set to leave.
Enjoy Genge while we have him.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Surely for the last time the Anglo Welsh win was coached by Geordan Murphy not Aaron Mauger who in my opinion should have departed instead of Cocker, keeping them both was not an option!
It seems that Mike Williams is leaving unless there is a replacement signed this creates an opportunity for Lewis to further his career at Tigers rather than moving elsewhere.
Why is it that when somebody leaves having supposedly been part of " terrible recruitment " there are complaints even before we know who will be filling the position for the next season.