Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Genge in the Telegraph

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ot-matter/
"Was there a burning sense of loyalty to the Leicester cause expressed in that raging-against-the-light rumble? Here is where the answer got interesting.
“If I’m being brutally honest with you, nah, loyalty doesn’t matter,” said Genge “I’ve seen Richard Cockerill get binned off, (head coach) Aaron Mauger thrown out, (next head coach) Matty O’Connor binned out, Peter Betham, Lachie McCaffrey chucked out, all these players, close friends of mine, great coaches too, gone. So I don’t think there is loyalty.
“I don’t have any loyalty to the Leicester Tigers shirt. I play for Leicester Tigers, for my family, for my friends at the club, for Geordie Murphy and I play for self-pride because I want to perform at the weekend in front of a great crowd. I do that because I’m good at it and it’s my job.
“Contracts don’t mean anything. That’s the problem we have had in the past three years at this club. We haven’t been together as a team. We haven’t had that pack mentality. We have had disconnects where people don’t want to be part of the culture but we are slowly getting there. You may not see it from the outside but we can definitely feel it from the inside.“

Ouch.

Then on entitled fans who chat on twitter
“We sacrifice things as well,” said Genge. “I have missed the birth of my niece. My mum has been ill. My nan has been ill. That’s why I respond when they say ‘ we pay this for a :censored: ticket and you go out and play like :censored:.’ The club, who are great, do tell me to put a lid on it. But it :censored: me off. I might look like a bit of a dickhead but that is how I feel.

“They say it is the greatest job in the world – you :censored: go and run into a 150kgs Samoan for a living. I’ve ripped my shoulder off the bone. I’ve got no cartilage left in my knee. Apologies for my language. Why on earth, just because we play professional sport, should we have to conform and not be ourselves? Would you rather I sit here and be a robot and not wear the clothes I wear and talk the way I do. I have matured a lot, although here I am with goggles over my eyes so you wouldn’t think so, would you?”

Wouldn't blame him if he leaves, really.

This club culture has been so rotten from the top to a few of the fans recently.
Feel we need a clean sweep with Murphy in charge and a new Chairman, CEO and Head of rugby sooner rather than later.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Genge in the Telegraph

Post by ellis9 »

Of course he's going to leave. He's already said he wants to go back to Bristol one day.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:35 pm Of course he's going to leave. He's already said he wants to go back to Bristol one day.
Was thinking sooner rather than later.
When he talked about going back to Bristol it was in relation of going to Bristol instead of France/Japan when most players get older.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 pm
ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:35 pm Of course he's going to leave. He's already said he wants to go back to Bristol one day.
When he talked about going back to Bristol it was in relation of going to Bristol instead of France/Japan when most players get older.
Can't blame him when all he and his team mates read is negative comments from their own supporters. May as well join a club where the supporters get behind them instead of so many here who seem to enjoy slagging them and the club off.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I've heard of 'brutal honesty' but.......wow.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

See Ellis straight in there blaming just the fans! He did mention the club too you know!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

It's a brutal sport. To give more than is prehaps good for you needs belief, belief in the cause, belief in your colleagues, respect for your organisation and Gengeys description of the environment perfectly describes why we have slipped so badly. It may be improving but those executives who should be setting the necessary culture are still there. Can it really improve? Not without change at the very top I suspect. Tigers family, what a mockery that is it would seem.
Last edited by chewbacca on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:41 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:37 pm
Can't blame him when all he and his team mates read is negative comments from their own supporters. May as well join a club where the supporters get behind them instead of so many here who seem to enjoy slagging them and the club off.
And which club would that be, that has supporters who express no displeasure when their team are in a mess! Just asking?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Bristol. Saracens. Exeter.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The McCaffrey and Betham calls didn't even work out in the end.
Ryan retired and Malouf left for 7's again.
It's different when the players contract ends in that case it's open season, but you have to be spot on too end their contract early.

Has the club benefited from ending Cilliers contract early rather than let it run out this year and choose not to renew it?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:50 am See Ellis straight in there blaming just the fans! He did mention the club too you know!!!
Yeah but the club don't keep posting negative comments online and on social media.

Of course the club have done some things that were wrong. Like Genge said, sacking Cockerill for one but for players to be reading some of the comments from fans can't do them any good.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:50 am Bristol. Saracens. Exeter.
Exeter fans are starting to turn on Baxter as well.
Bristol are on a high after the promotion and doing quite well, the honeymoon won't last for ever.

Success breeds entitlement, Saracens fans had a losing streak last year and some questioned Mccall.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 am
Bristol are on a high after the promotion and doing quite well, the honeymoon won't last for ever.

Success breeds entitlement, Saracens fans had a losing streak last year and some questioned Mccall.
None of them as bad as people on here though.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Saracens - it's a shame social media was in its infancy before their influx of cash. Very much not a pretty camp. Fans fuming about the ground, location etc.

Exeter - Their fans were fuming on Twitter at the start of last season, saw some even call for Baxters head.

Bristol - they have no expectations.

Ellis, I know you don't like fans that criticise the club, but we arent the only club that have fans that criticise.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 am

None of them as bad as people on here though.
You would be surprised, it's only highlights more because you are on here more.
Every club supporters are the same, once you have success and you start falling down, all the supporters turn. It's pro sports and it's entitlement no club is immune.