sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:22 pm
kend wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:30 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm
Yes and it's growing, worse than it ever was when I was young I think.
A count around the league for those of us who know the older days reveals a growing trend in the former players son.
The impact on sponsorship will be damaging and has possibly already started as that image is a major turn off for large sponsors who want to appeal to the wider public.
Clubs that do too much of it will be found out by those who don't.
Just out of interest, would is the same thing about Matt Gallagher at Sarries?

I doubt sponsors care how the team is built provided the cost is justified by the requisite market exposure.
Yes but Gallagher is proper good!
Sarries clearly get it right more than others whichever way they do it.
Time will tell with sponsorship, the recent 6N deal was much less than before, I don't personally think the sport is appealing enough to the wider public to achieve the desired growth, just my opinion.
As opposed to British Lions Ben and Tom or England under 20 regular Hardwick? The reason sons of former players tend to come through is because their dads teach them the skills they picked up over the years and so those players tend to have well rounded skillsets ahead of the normal development curve. That and they attend the right schools...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:01 am ellis9, why are your responses so aggressive?
Aggressive? Really?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seems wasps have signed Andre Dunn.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:30 am Seems wasps have signed Andre Dunn.
I despair :smt009 :smt009
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Recruitment is always going to be based on opinions and always as fans our opinions will be based on success or lack of it. A squad of players will include those for the match day 23 and others that will spend most of their time with us as training ground numbers. A player who joins us but is not a success will leave and play well elsewhere and a star from the Southern Hemisphere who does not live up to expectation will bring criticism to the coaches or directors seen as responsible for the signing even by fans who advocated the recruitment because we are fans and that is what we do. We are never wrong as we are never responsible for results, a team that wins would have won by more with our selection and would certainly never have lost!
Any player leaving is a loss if he plays well at his new club, failure for players to leave denies opportunity to Development graduates who then leave. The job is a thankless one the salary cap is a problem that we fans could all manage better, a layer departs or fails to join because there is more money on offer elsewhere is a Tiger's failure, if a key man is injured it should have been anticipated, why the heck is our third choice fly half not a current All Black international world class player? I am glad I am not doing the job and probably most other people on this message board are glad that I am not either because I would be so good that they would have nothing to complain about.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 am
Depends on the details.

Might be a different Dunn though, I know Gloucester has a Dunn, in which case nothing to see here.
I am pretty certain Andre Dunn is having Visa issues so like who knows.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 am
Depends on the details.

Might be a different Dunn though, I know Gloucester has a Dunn, in which case nothing to see here.
Considering Andre Dunn shared the Wasps academy team news on twitter I'm pretty sure he has made the switch :smt012
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am

Depends on the details.

Considering Andre Dunn shared the Wasps academy team news on twitter I'm pretty sure he has made the switch :smt012
Pretty sure he is too old to play U18 though?
He's similar age to Lavin I think who is too old.

Could be a brother?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Why?!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:43 am Recruitment is always going to be based on opinions and always as fans our opinions will be based on success or lack of it. A squad of players will include those for the match day 23 and others that will spend most of their time with us as training ground numbers. A player who joins us but is not a success will leave and play well elsewhere and a star from the Southern Hemisphere who does not live up to expectation will bring criticism to the coaches or directors seen as responsible for the signing even by fans who advocated the recruitment because we are fans and that is what we do. We are never wrong as we are never responsible for results, a team that wins would have won by more with our selection and would certainly never have lost!
Any player leaving is a loss if he plays well at his new club, failure for players to leave denies opportunity to Development graduates who then leave. The job is a thankless one the salary cap is a problem that we fans could all manage better, a layer departs or fails to join because there is more money on offer elsewhere is a Tiger's failure, if a key man is injured it should have been anticipated, why the heck is our third choice fly half not a current All Black international world class player? I am glad I am not doing the job and probably most other people on this message board are glad that I am not either because I would be so good that they would have nothing to complain about.
Don’t disagree with any of that (last paragraph aside! :smt003 )

All I would expect is that the law of averages to work out that we get it right more than we don’t.

Our results over a prolonged period would suggest we haven’t hence my frustration and hence anticipating more turnover of players with what (in recent years) has been to no overall improvement to the team or squad.

We need the Academy to provide a supply chain too and hopefully GM blooding those players with more regularity than MOC or RC did in recent years will help but that aside i’m not confident generally because those involved at Tigers havent demonstrated to me as a fan (other opinions are available) they can improve the squad year in, year out.

Many of the ex players, pundits etc also make similar points from positions of greater knowledge and experience so I’m hardly out on a limb in believing this to be the case.
Last edited by DeadlyDunc on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:52 am

Depends on the details.

Could be a brother?
Could be, pretty sure his younger brother was a flanker though
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:56 am

Could be a brother?
flanker and centre are not exactly massively different positions at age grade rugby on the whole. Much easier than the regularly changed Number to prop.
I guess we will see, but he was an academy graduate which means last year of U18 rugby.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:53 am
Why?!
Because Andre Dunn seemed like he had a lot of potential, when Toomua announced he was leaving I remember Alex Shaw even said that Dunn had the potential to fill the void in the coming seasons
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am

Could be a brother?
flanker and centre are not exactly massively different positions at age grade rugby on the whole. Much easier than the regularly changed Number to prop.
I guess we will see, but he was an academy graduate which means last year of U18 rugby.
True, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but Wasps do have a track record of pinching talent from us
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am

Could be a brother?
Seems I did jump the gun, Alex Shaw seems to think its Tane Dunn rather than Andre and he is usually pretty well informed