Nigel Owens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Nigel Owens

Post by Mark62 »

This is not looking for excuses Racing just about deserved it over the 80 minutes.

I have been a fan of his reffing over the years but he struck me as being a bit past it today.
Couple of his actions today struck me as odd in particular going to the TMO for Thompstones try when it had already been converted, he wasn’t aware of this, and the ball striking Will Evans head and giving a knock on, when he seemed to have a clear view .
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Nigel Owens

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

he told their 2 to "leave it" he is ignored and turn over occurs he says play on and that winds up with Manu in the bin
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I don't remember the last game I watched where I had no complains about a refereeing decision or general performance.

Owens is fine. Neither the best nor the worst.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He was awful,poor decision making and unfit,couldn't keep up with play and kept getting in the way!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Either over the hill, ring rusty or just a bad day at the office, You decide.

But in his defence he is the best talker to players still out there, he does state what he wants from players

However for me, he is and always has been, Mr Marmite. :smt018
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:54 pm This is not looking for excuses Racing just about deserved it over the 80 minutes.

I have been a fan of his reffing over the years but he struck me as being a bit past it today.
Couple of his actions today struck me as odd in particular going to the TMO for Thompstones try when it had already been converted, he wasn’t aware of this, and the ball striking Will Evans head and giving a knock on, when he seemed to have a clear view .
He didn't loose us the game
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

wellstiger wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am Either over the hill, ring rusty or just a bad day at the office, You decide.

But in his defence he is the best talker to players still out there, he does state what he wants from players

However for me, he is and always has been, Mr Marmite. :smt018
I think he may have been feeling a bit leggy after reffing the Varsity match in mid-week. He did seem to be in the way a lot more than usual, blocking off White on several occasions.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

He has always been a poor and clearly biased referee. I remember him robbing us on loads of occasions in the past going back years. The odd wrong decision can be explained as a "bad day at the office" or "he is only human" but there is a long standing pattern that clearly indicates his bias, against English clubs in general and Tigers in particular.
A life long Tiger
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Smudge wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 pm He has always been a poor and clearly biased referee. I remember him robbing us on loads of occasions in the past going back years. The odd wrong decision can be explained as a "bad day at the office" or "he is only human" but there is a long standing pattern that clearly indicates his bias, against English clubs in general and Tigers in particular.
Sorry that is just not true
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember him running the line for the Australia? AI game. Heard him more than the ref!!! I dread him officiating England games always seems to even things up!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We lost the game because our defence was poor.

Nigel Owens was pretty dreadful, despite his good player communication and occasional entertaining wit. Unless Barnes is in charge, I generally expect to be frustrated by the officiating regardless of which teams are on the pitch. In defence of Owens, and every other referee apart from Barnes, it's a ridiculously difficult sport to referee with so much of the laws open to subjective interpretation.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm We lost the game because our defence was poor.

Nigel Owens was pretty dreadful, despite his good player communication and occasional entertaining wit. Unless Barnes is in charge, I generally expect to be frustrated by the officiating regardless of which teams are on the pitch. In defence of Owens, and every other referee apart from Barnes, it's a ridiculously difficult sport to referee with so much of the laws open to subjective interpretation.
defence was good enough when they had 15 players 3 tries were scored when down a man, Manu's in particular came after Owens had told their player to leave the ball in a ruck and was ignored for a turn over which he didn't penalise which ended in Manu getting a yellow card during which 2 tries were conceded.

Nigel Owens officiating had a material impact upon the match
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Correct! If that's spotted and the head knock on try is run in the corner we win the game! Straw clutching maybe but his "decisions" had a direct impact on the final result.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Chobsy wrote:-
[Sorry that is just not true/quote]

I'm afraid it is mate.
There has been an active PR machine working on his reputation during the last few years and you see plenty of
support in the press etc., but you can't hide the facts. His obvious inconstances are bad enough but when they favour one side you can only draw one conclusion.
I am not new to the scene and I have had reason to curse him for years.

No, it's not blind prejudice but I always know he will stuff us, one way or the other.
A life long Tiger
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If there was one thing to stop me going to a match, it would likely be Owens! I can put up with poor play etc, but he drives me up the wall with his officiating.