Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerssteve

Re: cheer ourselves up - Racing v Tigers

Post by tigerssteve »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 pm
tigerssteve wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:36 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:18 pm

If you're going to give a yellow to Genge when the breakdown collasped into the scrum, note the front row were still bound when viewed from above, then it needs to be the correct call. I've watched us press the self destruct button all season and I don't for a second believe that Owens is to blame for us not defending but we're accountable for our mistakes and he should be too.
100%. Why is TMO there? If not to point out errors, or at least suggest a second look then he's redundant. Genge was clearly hard done by. Manu not. Stupid and two tries conceded.
You say stupid, but how many forward passes were Racing allowed!
Time to do away with the deliberate knock on and make players pass backwards!

Or you could get players to play to the existing laws and stop being stupid. Fact is a deliberate knock on is yellow. He knows it, or should. Their forward passes are irrelevant.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:26 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 pm George Ford in the 70th minute!! Pure class. Superb kick, excellent chase and sublime presence of mind to take the quick line out to bag a bons point try.

If that was Danny Cipriani, everyone would be wetting themselves!
Foot in play on the throw in?
How many forward passes by Racing before the intercept?
:smt017
I counted at least two forward passes.

I presume Ford told Toomua to quickly drop the conversion in order to try and stop any going back to check the legitimacy of the try. Ford looked to cream crackered to take it himself (understandably).

Good bit of invention and quick thinking. Ford should be backing himself there and last season I don't think he would have done, he's really come out of his shell with Geordan in charge.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:44 pm
G.K wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm Embarassment at tackling and defence time again. As usual put our selves in with a chance and we blow it yet again. Sadly we are a major spent force in Europe.
Is GM the option for success.... Maybe not tbh.
Always second best, I'd add to the above too much poor kicking and poor lineout and tactics. Same thing week in week out for years now. :smt009
I agree regarding the kicking, not good enough from White and Ford.
If Leicester had a top half back pairing today I think they could've won that, Racing were so loose and lazy to defend, they left so many one v one, two v two and three v three's to attack, let alone the occasional easy available overlap.
I thought White kicked well. Particularly under pressure in our 22 he (and Ford for that matter) regularly found good touches. In open play it was hit and miss with their obviously being a tactic to grubber in behind and turn the Racing pack. That wasn't as good but that was also because the centres and at one point a forward joined in.

It was interesting that we didn't kick to contest but kicked deep and set the defensive line. Definitely trying to avoid giving Racing a broken play attack and again moving their forwards around more.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 pm George Ford in the 70th minute!! Pure class. Superb kick, excellent chase and sublime presence of mind to take the quick line out to bag a bons point try.

Spot on. GF's had some stick on some posts. He deserves more credit than he gets. His distribution can be amazing, but can only be as good as those receiving, and them knowing when, and where, to receive. His vision, and unpredictability can be game changing. Those receivers around him need to think like him. Next season???
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

We were really good today, without ever really looking like winning. Next week is a huge game for me. A win next week could be a massive turning point in our season. I’m not talking about us progressing in Europe as for me any progression in Europe is a bonus and I think we probably will still go out in the group stages but a win against arguably the best side in Europe will breed so much confidence going forward. As chuffed as most people are with today’s massively improved performance a home defeat next week will be a proper party pooper.
Ben White today was really good. I can’t even start to imagine how good today is for him going forward. What an experience for him. We have been missing players like him coming through our setup in recent seasons after a brilliant batch a few years back. We were spoilt with Dan, Ben, Manu etc.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

After today's game I think the need to acquire a good defence coach ASAP was further magnified. Our attack looked very good at times and we troubled a quality side but we still conceded 30+ points yet again. If we can tighten up then we will be a threat again.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm After today's game I think the need to acquire a good defence coach ASAP was further magnified. Our attack looked very good at times and we troubled a quality side but we still conceded 30+ points yet again. If we can tighten up then we will be a threat again.
Perhaps if the discipline was there and 15 players on the pitch, we may not have conceded so many points.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Don't know and don't care. Loads of forward passes.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Don't know and don't care. Loads of forward passes.
Three in the passage of play before the intercept. In fact, I think it was the three consecutive passes before the intercept.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Pint half full....

Better display from a side who's confidence has been rocked. Good mixture of youth and experience in the side . Either through design or default.
I believe we are not far off on that display against a very expensive gallaticos team. Take that with the display against Sarries 3 weeks ago.
Yes we need to sign a strong defensive coach. Again it let us down , but was more aggressive.

Yes Mr owens missed allot either for trying to let the game run or by being bullish by not taking advise from his officiating team.
I thought ,except for 2 pieces of ill discipline in a highly charged game,we responded well to his officiating.
When is a deliberate knock on with a yellow card then not for a different part of the pitch or Jersey????
If referees were consistent across all tournaments and hemispheres the player would respond accordingly.
Unable to challenge in lineout, No straight put in at scrums and French refs not enforcing high tackles.........

I'd take that performance over Exeter's this weekend.
Now I await news form the board that was promised for the start of this week. :smt041
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

That game cheered me up! Aside form our naive defence of the inside ball, that was a thoroughly entertaining and exciting performance from Tigers. Owens didn't have his best day and despite the moaners he's still world class. If Tigers put in another creative and intelligent performance this week at home, particularly the off loading in contact, i'll have a little bit of faith in Murphy but still not enough to believe he is the man to get Tigers back on track to compete at the best levels.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:44 pm
G.K wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm
WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm Embarassment at tackling and defence time again. As usual put our selves in with a chance and we blow it yet again. Sadly we are a major spent force in Europe.
Is GM the option for success.... Maybe not tbh.
Always second best, I'd add to the above too much poor kicking and poor lineout and tactics. Same thing week in week out for years now. :smt009
I agree regarding the kicking, not good enough from White and Ford.
If Leicester had a top half back pairing today I think they could've won that, Racing were so loose and lazy to defend, they left so many one v one, two v two and three v three's to attack, let alone the occasional easy available overlap.
Well if Youngs starts on Sunday, we will have a top half back pairing.

I also think you're being very harsh! Ford had a superb game and Ben White was excellent.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

For some reason my attempt at recording the match failed yesterday.

Do BT Sport matches get repeated? Or is there any other way of viewing the full match?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm After today's game I think the need to acquire a good defence coach ASAP was further magnified. Our attack looked very good at times and we troubled a quality side but we still conceded 30+ points yet again. If we can tighten up then we will be a threat again.
36 missed tackles, it has to be sorted out if Tigers want to be competitive.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:53 am For some reason my attempt at recording the match failed yesterday.

Do BT Sport matches get repeated? Or is there any other way of viewing the full match?
Sign in to BT and go to catch up - right hand side of the options - the full match is available there
Hehehehehehehehe