Simon Cohen and Ged Glynn

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nasher

Re: Simon Cohen and Ged Glynn

Post by nasher »

Most posters on here are appalled at the downward spiral the current BOD have created, does the feeling extend to shareholders and if so are there enough to
1 Call an Extraordinary General Meeting
2 Remove the current Board
Unfortunately the articles are usually stacked in favour of the Board so it may be pointless but if something is not done we can look forward to being the only Championship side with a fine stadium,it's own hotel and hospitality joints but no RUGBY team worth talking about except for epithets like "thrashed",
Leaderless, devoid of ideas cannonfodder etc.
Shareholders it is in your hands I for one have no faith in the current board and the motivation of some senior players.

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 pm A former fly-half with Orrell, Ged Glynn gained extensive coaching experience with Loughborough University, Cambridge University, Rotherham, London Irish, England Under-21s, England 'A' and for six years from 2004 was head coach of the Spanish national team.

He joined Leicester Tigers as chief scout in 2010 and became Head of Rugby operations in 2014.

He also played club rugby in France and set up an activity centre in Meymac near Brive in 1986 which is still going strong.
Thanks Tigerbeat. That reads like something one would put on a corporate website to impress viewers to the site. To say "extensive experience at......." sounds incredibly vague and could amount to putting the cones out during training. It still doesn't sound like top draw coaching experience such as would fit someone to a DoR/Head of Rugby Ops role. I don't even thinking coaching Spain is equivalent to Premiership Rugby; the standard and pressure is not equivalent. And I suspect there is as much interest in Rugby in Spain as there is in underwater basket weaving.
As Good As It Gets
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

Nasher
Here's the response of Peter Toms to my email suggesting that he should withdraw his bid for re-election as Director (and presumably Chairman) at the AGM last Wednesday:-
"Thank you for your email. Fully understand your concern. You are correct but at the recent AGM my re-election was confirmed with over 99% of the shareholders voting in favour of it and I intend to continue as Chairman to ensure that Tigers get back to where they should be."
So, over 99% of shareholders supported his re-election. He's overseen the collapse of this once great club but despite this, he still thinks (and it seems 99% shareholders) that he is qualified to get us back to the top.
Clearly, the old boy has no comprehension of self-awareness or humility.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

The problem here is that Toms' response is entirely self-referential. He would reply like that, and because he thinks like that, because that is who he is and so that is why Tigers are where they are. I wrote to Cohen and got a similar reply. He doesn't know who I am, what my professional background is. He just assumed that I was a 'nobody', and the fact that he thinks that there are 'nobodies' in this world is why he replies as he does and is why Tigers are where they are. It is who they are.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 pm The problem here is that Toms' response is entirely self-referential. He would reply like that, and because he thinks like that, because that is who he is and so that is why Tigers are where they are. I wrote to Cohen and got a similar reply. He doesn't know who I am, what my professional background is. He just assumed that I was a 'nobody', and the fact that he thinks that there are 'nobodies' in this world is why he replies as he does and is why Tigers are where they are. It is who they are.
Peter Tom was at the club when we were the best club in Europe. Did we achieve that by Tom being the kind of person that he is?

I guess you're a CEO of a professional rugby club too then? If not, then Cohen has presumed correctly hasn't he?
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

The majority of the shares are in the hands of the major investors, Messrs Tom and ?Scott, so dynamite won’t shift them. Two-thirds of the way to ownership. This also means they effectively dictate policy, because they are a majority government.

Hotel. I am under the impression that Tigers do not have the cash to pay for this, so will be partners in an investment consortium.

But, with multi-storey c/p as well (leased out during the week) the hotel will produce income for the club, which will go towards players and facilities. (The Crumbie Stand is a century old. As revered a structure as it may be, no structure lasts forever, the day WILL come when it has to be renewed (replaced). Modern seating will not accommodate as many people in the same space.)

The playing side needs revisiting urgently. There has been too much resting on laurels by the powers that be, assuming that (sorry) two BoD Internationals from era 15 and 25 years ago, a Chairman from 50 years ago, and a former sports agent, can make all the right decisions...

Hmmm....
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The reason that Peter Tom has a lot of shares is because he with a few others invested in our club, when under his guidance became a PLC and the success over many seasons proves that was a correct decision. Not enough people invested although many accepted their free shares, inevitably the people who invested heavily and guaranteed the loans to help improve our stadium control the Board. Of course not every decision is correct ( I still think we should have kept Cocker) but over time they have got more right than wrong. Obviously we have problems on the pitch at present and I am certain steps will be taken to restore our club to its rightful position at the top of the Premiership without bankrupting the business whilst continuing to improve our facilities.
I attended the AGM and voted for the re-election of Peter Tom and his co Directors.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Quite right Peter Tom had a leadership role at the Club when Tigers were Champions of Europe, in 2001and 2002. He must be the right person to lead the club in 2019. The direction of the club over the last five years proves the point. Ditto our CEO. My former boss (who was rather more successful than our current board and CEO) used to start most board meetings with the phrase 'I'm interested in performance today and tomorrow..........'
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think Cocker is on Rugby Tonight at 8pm. Referring to the numerous coaching changes.........

"If you're going to make changes, it has to get better and, if it doesn't get better, the people who make those changes have got to take responsibility like the coaches have had to take responsibility. Clearly there's going to have to be change at some level."

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 5923415042
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Whilst I think Cohen, Glynn and Toms are all to blame, I think we need to be careful. Does anyone else think that the rugby premiership has the feel of football 25 or so years ago when numerous clubs overspent and went bust? We all want the club to be around for the long term and so we need the foundations in place to enable that to happen. There isn't a bottom less pit of money and perhaps we would be better spending slightly below the cap and investing in real quality coaches - someone like Lancaster? Chopping and changing coaches is no good for anyone, Murphy must be given the job now and be kept in place for at least 2 years with proper support.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 pm I think Cocker is on Rugby Tonight at 8pm. Referring to the numerous coaching changes.........

"If you're going to make changes, it has to get better and, if it doesn't get better, the people who make those changes have got to take responsibility like the coaches have had to take responsibility. Clearly there's going to have to be change at some level."

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 5923415042
...and a very diplomatic Austin Healey:

"They've invested too much money in their infrastructure, and not enough in their team."

"They [Leicester fans] would sit on a bed of nails if their team is winning."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

That says it all.
Bin the flipping Hotel and get the team back to previous levels so the Stadium isnt half full.
20,000 at the last match
Humbug.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fortysix wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm That says it all.
Bin the flipping Hotel and get the team back to previous levels so the Stadium isnt half full.
20,000 at the last match
Humbug.
The hotel doesn't impinge on the playing budget, which is capped. We spend up to the cap. So how does any development that may enhance the non-playing side damage the playing side, the two being separate?
It's like the 'sack Cohen' stuff -why? He doesn't scout the players and he doesn't coach the team. so exactly what would sacking him accomplish, since the architects of our travails are still sat in the Board Room?
:smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 pm
fortysix wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm That says it all.
20,000 at the last match
Humbug.
The hotel doesn't impinge on the playing budget, which is capped. We spend up to the cap. So how does any development that may enhance the non-playing side damage the playing side, the two being separate?
It's like the 'sack Cohen' stuff -why? He doesn't scout the players and he doesn't coach the team. so exactly what would sacking him accomplish, since the architects of our travails are still sat in the Board Room?
:smt017 :smt017 :smt017
One, a player cap that almost no one else takes heed to, two what other budget does it affect? Coaching? Academy?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

One purpose of the hotel is to generate money to ensure we have enough money coming into the club to spend up to the salary cap. The same will be true of the multi-storey car park. Therefore these projects will eventually enhance the playing side rather than detracting from it. Having these cash generating structures helps to ensure we are not wholly reliant on investment from one or two wealthy individuals and will also provide means of balancing out the overall loss we have been declaring in annual accounts for the last couple of years. It is prudent business to attempt to be as self-sufficient as possible.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!